Hair Straightners in hand luggage??

Does anyone know if you can take hair straighteners in your hand luggage, I would hate for them to take them off me as they cost £100 (£92.50) more then my flight!!! Have looked on both Ryanair and BHX web sites and no info on them.

Comments

• debs66_2
    debs66_2 Posts: 304 Forumite
    hi, i always take my straighteners and any other electrical appliance (hairdryer etc) in my hand luggage.

i think (though not 100% sure?) that you should take them as hand luggage anyway. i'm always cautious of putting them in a case. i think that if they show up a bit odd when scanned, then the case could be interfered with/opened etc. my reason for thinking this is that one year, my partner had a small travel hairdryer in his hand luggage, and when the bag went through the x-ray scanning machine, we could clearly see it on on the monitor that the guard was checking - and i kid you not it looked exactly like a small gun!

he saw it, stopped us, and the hairdryer was revealed. we were just pleased he was doing their job though.
    Blonde jokes are one-liners so men can remember them...;)
  • sarzzz_2
    sarzzz_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I flew with Easyjet from Gatwick a few weeks ago and was not sure about this. In the end, I packed them to be checked into the hold. There was a notice saying please let them know about any electrical items in the hold, so I was worried they wouldn't let me take the straighteners at all, but I advised the girl at check in and she said they were fine. Does anyone else know about hand luggage?
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My daughter carries them in hand luggage, I pack them in the suitcase.
  • it's not sharp, it isnt a liquid...shouldnt be a problem. I last took some hand luggage in 2006 and took them round the world in and out of japan, oz, nz, usa with no issue...just dont try and plug them in if there is an electrical point on board lol as mine smell of burning at times and can just imagine the panic now!!
  • clarabell1984
    clarabell1984 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    I take my GHd's in my hand luggage all the time for the same reason as your saying. I took them recently a few weeks ago to lanzarote and have never has a problem! x
  • choccyface2006
    choccyface2006 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    I have taken them both in my hold luggage and in my hand luggage in the past, no probs either way :)

Sarah
  • thatsfabulous
    thatsfabulous Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Carrying hair straighteners is absolutley fine. Its just liquids (100ml)and pointy instruments,such as nail files,scissors, that are banned. (I still cant beleive that vaseline and sudocrem are still banned , but, hey ho, there you go!) x
    100% agreed! Hair straighteners are fine to carry in your hand luggage.

The only type you would need to ask about is the portable ones with the cartriges, If i remember right you cant carry any spares in hand luggage.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • gouldilocks
    gouldilocks Posts: 47 Forumite
    The only type you would need to ask about is the portable ones with the cartriges, If i remember right you cant carry any spares in hand luggage.[/quote

Anything with the gas cartridges can only have one attached to it and no spares in either checked or hold luggage, they are considered dangerous goods.
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hand luggage for us. About 3 years ago we flew to Dalaman airport in Turkey. Our holdall came through with zip bust and the straighteners smashed to bits (ghds) ended up getting about £30 back after knocking excess and wear and tear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure