Ps3 Wireless Connection (wpa Key)

I'm trying to get my ps3 connected but don't know what my WPA KEY is, where will I find it, I had a look in the wirless connection settings on my pc but couldn't see anything under WPA.
When going through the steps it has another option of WEP KEY but not sure what this is either,
any advice please

thanks
Mike

Comments

• superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Down to you when you set up your wireless network. If there's a default key it'll be written in your user guide or on your router but usually it's one you've set yourself, same goes for which type of wireless encryption, WPA (preferable) or WEP (not advised).

You could try http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So is the WEP KEY actually the wireless network password? or is it something else?
  • superscaper
    Forumite
    mikeopvc wrote: »
    So is the WEP KEY actually the wireless network password? or is it something else?

Yes, although that's not to be confused with the (wireless) router password which is what's used to access the router's settings..
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    I have a wireless network name which I thinks is the SSID and a wireless network password, I have typed in the password and it says A CONNECTION TO THE ACCESS POINT COULD NOT BE ESTABLISHED CHECK THE SECURITY SETTINGS FOR THE WIRELESS LAN
    By the way my password is 18 characters long but when I press select after typing it in it reverts back to 8 characters ********
    Does this mean my WPA KEY should also be 8 characters?
  • superscaper
    Forumite
    Make sure you've definitely selected the correct encryption type. The other thing to look at is the router settings to see whether it's restricting which devices can connect (i.e. only specific MAC numbers are allowed to connect, if this is the case you need to add the MAC of the PS3 which should be given as an option in the router settings or added manually from the MAC usually written on the device/PS3 somewhere).
    Moss
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    Not sure how to check the router settings as it's not actually connected to my pc as i'm wireless. I just went into network connections and disconnected my wireless and then connected again to see what happened, it asked for my WPA KEY to connect, it was already typed in but didn't actually show the characters.
  • superscaper
    Forumite
    You can still access your router sesttings even through a wireless connection. Just put the router's address in your browser. Something like 192.168.0.1 but may be different depending on your router's make and model.
    Moss
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    mikeopvc wrote: »
    Does this mean my WPA KEY should also be 8 characters?

No it could be upto 63 but still shows as 8 *'s, use the nirsoft utility or login to the router to check it. which router.

netgear 192.168.0.1

linksys 192.168.1.1

belkin 192.168.2.1
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • mikeopvc
    Forumite
    In security I have 2 encryption types to choose from, TKIP and AES. It is currently set at TKIP, under that is the network security key but again that just reads as 8 dots.
  • Ice_2
    Ice_2 Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    look in the PS3 book under wireless connection and follow from there...I have netgear it took me less than 5 minutes to set the wireless connection...just follow the instrustions in the book then type in what you need
    netgear SSID is netgear...
    wep key/wpa key
    will be in the settings of your router online under wireless settings...

if you do a scan on the PS3 it should pick up your router...the ssid is sometime's on the back or bottom of your router...

but you'll still need to go to your router home page and get the wpa'wep key which is rather a long code...

hths

:)

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK! :kisses2::happylove
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure