PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• espresso21
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome back.
    And Emm-in-a-pickle - I love your term for it (Spare room of doom) - that's what his study is like - piles and piles of post ...on the table..on the floor....everywhere. I just keep the door closed as it makes me feel sick to even look in there.

Anyway, I got into the spare room (not the doom one, the other one) and cleared out some stuff - got one and a half rubbish bags, a couple of charity bags and shifted the rest up to the attic, which is not a solution but at least I don't have to look at it. Unfortunately some of the stuff was very heavy and now I have a sore back from lugging it up the attic stairs! It still looks a mess, although I know there must be less stuff in there!
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Dibuzz, re GF`s visits - my DS leaves his clearing up till the last minute, but I think if she was able to come and stay more frequently he`d get less motivated to do it at all!
    All but 2 of our large spoons have gone missing. I asked him today to have a look in his room, but all that came out were 6 furry mugs....

Espresso, well done on your trash trawl. After reading your post I`ve been inspired to do a paperwork cull in computer corner of LR. (Painless, while listening to Marcus Brigstock on i-player.) You know the sort of thing, marked `Important Information`, so you keep it and end up with a pile of out of date irrelevant stuff, put off dealing with it as it needs sorting/ some shredding.... well, I`ve got a pile for recycling, a bit for shredding, and found some mislaid bits that ARE important.

Nothing goes in the loft these days, ever since we had to empty it a few years back for the extra insulation. I use the caravan of Doom in the garden - it`s no longer roadworthy but better for storage than a shed, nice and dry, and easier to access. That`s my next Big task, having a sort out in there. The winter floor rugs, Christmas stuff, snow shovel, are all at the back. Rarely used or spare kitchen stuff goes in there, and my cleaning stash. The annual sort out is great as I find forgotten items, a bit like my own private carboot sale only free!
  • dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I started cleaning the bathroom yesterday and finished it today apart from the floor. It is so damp in there that I have to use loads of bleach so can't stay in there too long.
    Also filled a charity bag to put out tomorrow, mainly clothes that are too big for me now.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Dibuzz, I have been busy filling a charity bag too. I filled a bin bag full of stuff out of DS2s drawers and wardrobe. I swear you can see him growing at the moment. My wardrobe is next but I want some decent vacuum bags for summer clothes and things that I dont wear very often.

I am on a mission to declutter at the moment. I do find it hard with clothes and shoes though!
  • MoonJelly
    Options
    Is it too late to join this thread?

I really need some help. I can seem to sort my house out. I seem to have no storage space or maybe too many things. I am not working at the moment so there is really no excuse.

I have freegled the cardboxes boxes in the shed and they are going this afternoon but there is just-too much of everything.:(
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • dibuzz
    Options
    MoonJelly wrote: »
    Is it too late to join this thread?

New messies are always welcome :)
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Hi Messies!

MoonJelly welcome aboard. We don`t have all the answers (or we wouldn`t BE Messies!), but we do try to encourage each other along and at least we`re realistic about it. Well done making a start on the shed. Just a thought - `not enough storage` is a bit of a trap - the more storage you have, the more Stuff you store, I have found...

Dibuzz, well done in the bathroom. I`m the same, can`t take bleach fumes for more than a minute or 2 and I`m no good at holding my breath.

YL - I`m in denial! I don`t want to put summer stuff away yet, not till I`ve had my week off (starts 12th) at least.
  • dibuzz
    Options
    I've done some clutter clearing today, amazing how you can fill 2 bin bags with junk and it not look any different.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have four boxes for stuff for Oxfam in my hall,,not managed to get there yet!

Have a pile of carp study guides which DD had bought, obviously instead of studying the text! Grrrrr!

Summer stuff not going away yet. Still hopeful of some warmth!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • MoonJelly
    Options
    dibuzz wrote: »
    New messies are always welcome :)
    Thanks!
    Hi Messies!

MoonJelly welcome aboard. We don`t have all the answers (or we wouldn`t BE Messies!), but we do try to encourage each other along and at least we`re realistic about it. Well done making a start on the shed. Just a thought - `not enough storage` is a bit of a trap - the more storage you have, the more Stuff you store, I have found...

Dibuzz, well done in the bathroom. I`m the same, can`t take bleach fumes for more than a minute or 2 and I`m no good at holding my breath.

YL - I`m in denial! I don`t want to put summer stuff away yet, not till I`ve had my week off (starts 12th) at least.

Thanks for the welcome. Would you believe the people didn't come for the boxes? I'll have to post it on Freegle again (sigh).

Tomorrow: folding clothes and discarding the ones who are just not good anymore.
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income