ISA Interest!

I have had an ISA with RBS since 2000. The interest rates are abysmal, so I have transferred it to Northern Rock's 3.5% Fixed Rate ISA.

I have received my closing statement from RBS and on a balance of nearly £40,000 I have received £35.84. Surely this can't be right? I take it I will get more end of year interest either from RBS or from Northern Rock.

Can anyone ease my anxiety about this!

Comments

• freckle
    freckle Posts: 16 Forumite
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'last capitalised'. I got about £1100 in interest on 31 March 2009.

Can I assume that there is more to come on 31 March 2010?
  • cosyc
    cosyc Posts: 336 Forumite
    Not necessarily, I have just got my isa statement from Santander and they changed their int rate may 09 to 0.5%. I can't remeber being notified else I would have swapped so you may be in the same boat!!!
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2010 at 5:40AM
    When a Cash ISA is closed on transfer to a new provider, the full balance, including any interest earned up to the date of transfer, is remitted to the new provider, regardless of when interest is normally paid.

If you believe, after checking the rate, that RBS have miscalculated the interest paid, you need to contact them as a priority. NR certainly won't pay any interest that may be due from RBS due to any miscalculation.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    £35.84 is absolutely correct.

At your current rate of 0.1%, you would get £40.00 per year. As it is just under a year, £35 is about correct.
  • focae
    focae Posts: 147 Forumite
    freckle wrote: »
    The interest rates are abysmal!

You said it!
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    freckle wrote: »
    I have had an ISA with RBS since 2000. The interest rates are abysmal, so I have transferred it to Northern Rock's 3.5% Fixed Rate ISA.

I have received my closing statement from RBS and on a balance of nearly £40,000 I have received £35.84. Surely this can't be right? I take it I will get more end of year interest either from RBS or from Northern Rock.

Can anyone ease my anxiety about this!

I bet you feel a bit sick don't you? I did when I left my ISA last year - I for some reason saw the bank base rates tumble and did nothing about the ISA. When I got round to transfering and checking I was getting 0.5% for months. Lost out on hundreds in interest. :(.

It happens. My way of looking at it is I wont let it happen again. It annoyed me but I just think at least I have corrected it now.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    cosyc wrote: »
    Not necessarily, I have just got my isa statement from Santander and they changed their int rate may 09 to 0.5%. I can't remeber being notified else I would have swapped so you may be in the same boat!!!

There ain't a snowballs chance in hell that they would notify you.

The whole ISA issue stinks, and it is about time the government stepped in, they set it up and the banks abuse it, then they do nothing.

Nothing strange there then
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    The whole ISA issue stinks, and it is about time the government stepped in, they set it up and the banks abuse it, then they do nothing.

This is not unique to ISAs - most high interest accounts will drop to a low rate after the promotional period has run out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure