Employing a cleaner

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hm, sorry to bring up an old thread but just after a bit of advice. I am thinking of offering £6ph for 2 hrs a day, 3 days a week. So £36 per week. For thorough tidy, dust sweep and mop of living room, sweep mop and dust hall & dining room. Thorough clean of kitchen, which will include any washing up (not much, probably one days worth at a time). Hoover landings and bedrooms (3) with a quick dust. And thorough clean of bathroom. Does this sound reasonable?

I have a 3yr old, 2 dogs and a hubbie so we are not overly messy but being pregnant i have lost all energy and could really do with the help. I wouldn't ask for help with washing/ironing or anything too in depth though.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

No decent cleaner is going to need six hours a week to do that work. Offer more per hour and have her twice a week for two hours and add in things like window cleaning and ironing.
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I'm in the North West and I have 4 hours cleaning per week. I have it through a company so I know they're insured and CRB checked etc. Two cleaners come for two hours and it costs £48 (£12 per hour). They bring all of their own stuff with them including vacumn and mop and cleaning materials.

They do three bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, utility, downstairs cloakroom, lounge, dining room, hall, stairs and landing and garden room. They mop and vacumn, empty bins, dust and clean windows etc.

Some of these rooms don't get used much so it doesn't take much cleaning and the house is generally easy to clean.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    ask around friends and neighbours for reccomendations and an idea of prices , my dw charges between 8-10 ph
  • Thats what i was thinking - the house is generally tidy just doesnt get the amount of sweeping, dusting, mopping and hoovering as i like so i'm not asking for anything difficult - just as i have no idea the terms people set i thought i'd ask if it seemed reasonable. We are on the south coast. I have checked friday-ad and those offering the service are asking £7 and some £8 per hour. I think if they can charge £12 per hour somewhere then i'd happily take up a few cleaning jobs myself :P as that's more than i'd get hourly in any job around here.

The job will only be done while i'm home if i can help it but i'd stay out of their way. That way i would be less likely to encounter some of the problems people have complained about with a not so great cleaner.

I would be happy to negotiate up to £7 dependant on what is being done. But it'd still have to be able to afford it too. Mojisola - i think yours is a good idea, thank you!
    Mummy of 3 lovely munchkins :smileyhea
  • Ok, checking gumtree alot of the offers for jobs are £5.75 and £6 - some offering £7 but asking extra like linen changes and ironing etc. I really just need basic help so don't want to pay more than neccessary.

I do have another question though, are there any employment laws or are the cleaners classed as self employed? ie. if i were offering cash in hand by the day worked would i have any responsibility or does the cleaner need to just declare there own tax? Anything else i need to consider or is it as easy as it seems?

Many thanks in advance.
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    I dont think anyone would fancy doing just a couple of hours a day 3 times a week at that rate unless you add travel money .
    Your looking at 6 journeys ,takes a chunk out of the pay .
    You would be better either offering more hours and less days or more pay but less hours..
  • skiTTish wrote: »
    I dont think anyone would fancy doing just a couple of hours a day 3 times a week at that rate unless you add travel money .
    Your looking at 6 journeys ,takes a chunk out of the pay .
    You would be better either offering more hours and less days or more pay but less hours..

Fair point but we live in a tiny town with nothing for a good few miles each way so it'd be someone from the town that i'd end up employing- i know alot of people are looking for work as there are tons of offers for babysitters, cleaners and odd jobs in the local shop windows. Parking is free and most people live within walking distance of one another or a maximum of a 7-8 min drive if that. Checking Gumtree and our area £6-£7 are the going rates so i know that part is fine. Most women here are mothers or retired people (proper retirement town, lol) so i'm sure i'd get someone in who is just looking for a bit of extra side cash, not a full time job.

Just don't know much about what to ask of them and the legal side of it really.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you employ a cleaner personally, then it is her/his responsibility to organise tax, national insurance, etc, as a self-employed person.

If you use an agency, you will pay more but they should sort all that stuff out and should also do police checks and have insurance.
  • Ah brilliant, thank you!

I would probably like to get used to one person rather than a different person each time (i think someone else mentioned that with agencies). Because if the person does a good job and is nice and friendly i would be more than happy to give a xmas bonus, and similar as extras to show appreciation.

Thank you again for your help!
  • I pay £11 an hr, but they bring their own supplies and are insured etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure