Vodafone to Change Prices from 11 Oct 2011

Comments

• as yet I have still received nothing
  • I have just found (in the terms here vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/about-this-site/terms-and-conditions/products-and-services/pay-monthly-terms-and-conditions/index.htm) that they will give 14 days notice. This suggests that I should get a text before Saturday.
  • Does anyone know if the min. call charge is increasing?

I'm currently paying 15p min call charge on my contract (independent of the cost per minute).
    Will this change to the 'one minute minimum call charge' as stated in the new call charges?
    If so, that's going to be an enormous increase for my personal usage!

I found this article published in June 2011 that states Vodafone are increasing it from 15p to 25p? Is this article referring to the scheduled Oct 11th 2011 increases?
  • Orange did a similar trick a few years back if I recall.
    I was about 4mths into my contract and they text me saying as of ......... data prices were going up (I was a big user) and also maybe photo messages? (didn't worry me).
    There were posts all over the internet about people complaining.
    I was furious as I had a 24mth contract and it was going to cost me a lot more.
    I read that legally customers could break the contract because it wasn't the contract they took out and agreed to - if anything it should only be applied to new customers, not old.
    I with thousands of others got out of it, took a lot of calls but the proof was on my bill : I was a high data user so it was going to have an impact on my monthly charges.
    I walked away after 6mths with a fantastic phone....
  • I don't know if you can post links so I am not going to but if you google orange increasing prices mid contract and scroll four down you will find an article on the orange loophole from 2009
  • TehJumpingJawa
    TehJumpingJawa Posts: 656
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 September 2011 at 11:56AM
    I've drawn up a spreadsheet from my bill and worked out that the new call charges (if applied as advertised) will result in a 36.94% increase in my previous month's bill!

based upon ex-VAT call charges of:

1)
    Old min call charge: 0.1270p (fixed value)
    New min call charge: 0.2917p (as advertised: 1 minute @ new call rates)
    2)
    Old landline/voda rate: 0.1702p/m (calculated from what i'd been charged/minute on my last bill)
    New landline/voda rate: 0.2917p/m (as advertised)
    3)
    Old cross-network mobile rate: 0.2984p/m (calculated from what i'd been charged/minute on my last bill)
    New cross-network mobile rate: 0.2917p/m (as advertised)

It's interesting to note that although they've reduced the cross-network cost/minute, only ONE of my cross-network calls got cheaper (from 0.368p to 0.36p).
    The increase in min. call costs more than offset the reduction in per minute cost in all my other cross-network calls.

I would suggest that if the min call charge increase i've quoted above is accurate, then most people who exceed their monthly minutes will end up paying significantly more.
  • Raven
    Raven Posts: 1,729
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've drawn up a spreadsheet from my bill and worked out that the new call charges (if applied as advertised) will result in a 33.12% increase in my previous month's bill!

1)
    2)
    Old landline/voda rate: 0.1702p/m (calculated from what i'd been charged/minute on my last bill)
    3)
    Old cross-network mobile rate: 0.2984p/m (calculated from what i'd been charged/minute on my last bill)

It's interesting to note that although they've reduced the cross-network cost/minute, only ONE of my cross-network calls got cheaper (from 0.368p to 0.36p).
    The increase in min. call costs more than offset the reduction in per minute cost in all my other cross-network calls.

I would suggest that if the min call charge increase i've quoted above is accurate, then most people who exceed their monthly minutes will end up paying significantly more.

Thanks for that.
    I'd like to teach the World to sing in perfect Harmony :grin: :j :D:)
  • I've drawn up a spreadsheet from my bill and worked out that the new call charges (if applied as advertised) will result in a 33.12% increase in my previous month's bill!

1)
    2)
    3)

So is this an escape route out of the vodafone contracts, if no communication in regards to price changes?
  • There data charges are changing to from £5 for 500mb to £5 for 250mb is this the similar to the orange case? As im a pretty big data user myself.
  • So is this an escape route out of the vodafone contracts, if no communication in regards to price changes?

I believe so, they say they will give at least 14 days notice of any price change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure