Parking ticket by Euro car parks

Comments

• Bamber19
    Bamber19 Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    Law of contract is the same in Scotland and England.

Unless someone is being pedantic, there are slight differences, none that would affect parking.

The only other thing is the rules on clamping are different in Scotland.
    Bought, not Brought
  • derekyau
    derekyau Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Help please,I have just had the pleasure of removing a euro car parks 'Parking Charge Notice' from my windshield. Apparently i was 'Parked not in bay, on the access entrance'. Ok, I wasn't parked in a bay, but only because the car park (tescos) was so full there were no spaces left. Both myself and another vehicle used a bit of space that was out of the way and should have been marked up as a couple of parking bays. We certainly was not in anyones way, we took care to wait and see traffic pass us unhindered before going into the store.The point is I don't want to pay. I was not causing anyone anywhere any harm, I was trying to use the store.What should i do? Ignore the ticket till they contact me then ask for proof, then denie i was the driver, and accuse them of harassing me? or should i appeal to them as there signage was woeful and inadequate, my vehicle was not causing anyone inconvience?Or do you have a better plan of attack?All help gratefully recieved, i will keep you updated on my case.MRB

Hi,

I've just had an "invoice" for the a similar reason from Euro Car Parks - "E) OTHER - Not parked in a marked bay"

What I parked in was what appears to be a space:
    1. No signs saying "Do not park here"
    2. No yellow box/white lines etc on the floor.
    3. It wasn't a raised pedestrian bit
    4. It's not blocking anything (exits/pathway etc).
    What's more, Euro Car Parks have only recently (a few months ago) started operating here (this is Merton Sainsburys / Marks and Spencers fyi). I have parked in this spot many times since 2001.

During the refurbishment of this carpark/store, I have actually been instructed to park here!

I went back in the store to complain, but the lady on the customer services counter in Sainsbury's simply gave me a phone number for ECP (who office was closed when I called anyway. I left my name and mobile for someone to call me back... not that anyone has yet...)

Akthough ignorance is no defence, I parked here with full confidence I was perfectly allowed to. It was perfect to avoid other idiots causing dings in the door, or hit and runners (someone did £1300 of damage to the front bumper last time I parked in a Morisson's car park):mad:

So, wait and see if they bother contact DVLA for my address and then contact me? Or appeal? Or just ignore everything?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/derekyau/Parking_Ticket/09062008162.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/derekyau/Parking_Ticket/09062008163.jpg

What did you decide to do/was the outcome for you sickpuppyhaha79 ?

Regards
  • So_Mental
    So_Mental Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I had a fine/invoice last year from Euro Car Parks for not parking in a bay at Tesco. I threw it away and haven't heard a thing since.
  • jodie1
    jodie1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Hi

My husband was issued with a PCN from the above company his car is registered in my name (apparently he was parked in a disabled bay). Euro carparks got my details from DVLA and sent a reminder I told them I was not the driver of the vehicle and to pursue them I also asked for photgraphic proof but they sent a copy of the PCN now I have received a letter from control account threatening all sorts of action if PCN remains unpaid. What should I do.:confused:
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jodie1 wrote: »
    Hi

My husband was issued with a PCN from the above company his car is registered in my name (apparently he was parked in a disabled bay). Euro carparks got my details from DVLA and sent a reminder I told them I was not the driver of the vehicle and to pursue them I also asked for photgraphic proof but they sent a copy of the PCN now I have received a letter from control account threatening all sorts of action if PCN remains unpaid. What should I do.:confused:
    I suggest you go to Pepipoo http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30 and get them to confirm that ignoring is the best course of action.
    They will soon put your mind at rest.:T
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • jodie1
    jodie1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Thanks for that peter_the_piper have had a look and think i will just ignore them.:wink:
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    People really need to be aware that the ONLY people that can issue you with a fine/penalty or what ever else you want to call it is the council or police!!! that simple......you even have the right to remove a wheel clamp by any means....as long as its not fitted by the council or police!!!!

so if its NOT from the local council or the police tell them to stuff it!!!! you don't need any evidence or anything else simple!!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • Jez_Wolf
    Jez_Wolf Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2009 at 11:15AM
    I have also received a Parking Charge Notice from these jokers, at a Sainsburys store.

The "crime" was given as having parked in a "Mother & Child" space.

Having looked at both www.Pepipoo.com and www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/ , I am going to let them request the registered keepers details from the DVLA before getting in contact with them, to explain the number of reasons why they won't be getting a penny out of me.
  • jeanna_2
    jeanna_2 Posts: 519 Forumite
    an update of our situation.we have just had a letter from a sheriff officer company and they want £95 or they will pass it onto their litigation team to commence recovery action.not sure what to do.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Cat695 wrote: »
    People really need to be aware that the ONLY people that can issue you with a fine/penalty or what ever else you want to call it is the council or police!!! that simple......you even have the right to remove a wheel clamp by any means....as long as its not fitted by the council or police!!!!

so if its NOT from the local council or the police tell them to stuff it!!!! you don't need any evidence or anything else simple!!!

Any means that doesn't damage the clamp - if you damage it they can chase you for the costs of repairing/replacing it.
    The same way if they (or even the police/DVLA) damage your car putting the clamp on you can go after them for the cost of repairing the damage.

jeanna wrote: »
    an update of our situation.we have just had a letter from a sheriff officer company and they want £95 or they will pass it onto their litigation team to commence recovery action.not sure what to do.
    Ignore it, a private parking company cannot do much.

They can only argue the driver agreed to the terms of parking there, and even then only if the terms were clearly displayed, and even then it would be doubtful if any court would agree to them (unfair contracts tend to be frowned upon).

As it is they don't know who the driver is, only the registered keeper thanks to the DVLA.

The registered keeper cannot be held to a "contract" someone else (the driver) may have entered into.

The company cannot force you, outside of the court (and it would be extremely unlikely to ever get that far, due to costs and an uncertain outcome) to name the driver - unlike the police/courts a private company cannot make you name the driver, and the private company can only go after the driver at the time the vehicle was parked...

Given that the registered keeper may not even drive*, they tend to rely on writing letters that intimate they have abilities that they do not in the hopes that the person receiving the letter will panic and not be aware of the major differences in powers between private companies, and police (or companies acting on behalf of the police/council).

Basically the response is "unless you can tell me, and provide some proof of who was driving at the time you can get lost", that's if you want to contact them at all.

*My mother was the registered keeper of our car for a few years, and she's never passed her test, or driven the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure