D.L.A LIFE AWARDS help needed

Options

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2010 at 9:54AM
    Options
    I was following in detail on the day of the budget, the broadcaster clearly said the new medical assesment was designed to replace the complicated forms for claiming DLA. He also stated the target was a 10% DLA budget cut.

It begs 2 questions on my part;

You cannot possibly sit a medical without the assesor having written info on the table, and also how much notice will be taken of doctors reports. I am a DLA claimant as several others here after a medical accident and RTA accident. I have also been through the IB medical with no issues except that of the proffesional ability of the actual assesing doctor.

The other issue is that this process will cost in itself, so I wonder what the actual target in payout costs is on the agenda :beer:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »

Assessments for disability benefits have been carried out for years, and have always been part of the application/ review process.
    Yes thanks dmg, I know this and I have recently gone through renewal etc. I was referring to the new 'Labour Government's' plans that were put into action with regards Incapacity and ESA and their medical assessments - I recently had a letter regarding an Incapacity Assessment (not DLA) as I am on IB.:)
  • Aputsiaq
    Aputsiaq Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    I am severly disabled and as long as the medicals are done at home or in a place thats totally accessable with disabled parking Im all for it.

I have never had a medical since my accident in 1992 and people like me should be reviewed and most other people already get reviewed anyway, just because I got a life time award dosnt mean that no one should look at my case again and Im confident that my double high will be safe.

Some people can improve and thats why medicals are needed, people like me cant but how are the DWP to know that if we arnt assessed?
    Absolutely agree.
    No matter what award anyone gets, random medicals should be compulsory.

Anyone who is genuinely in need will be fine,it will weed out malingerers though.
  • Aputsiaq
    Options
    I don't get the benefits myself but I'm interested on behalf of my friend who does.
    She had an industrial accident and was awarded lifetime awards of Industrial injuries and DLA back in 1996.
    She had medicals for both and was awarded on first application and has not been asked to review her awards at any time since but then it is accepted her injury won't/can't improve neither.
    We were looking at the original award letters she received for both benefits and nowhere on the letters does it mention that the lifetime awards could be revoked.
    I realise that lifetime awards are no more and indefinate awards have replaced them however I wonder what would be the outcome if a lifetime award was challenged in court.
    Afterall being given an original "lifetime award" is not the same as being given an original "indefinate award" no matter how much the government think they might change the wording to legally cover themselves for claimants of that time.
    These awards clearly state "for Life" and do not have with the ability to be reviewed at a later date or periodically anywhere on the award letter.
    I'd be interested to see the outcome of a legal challenge of a lifetime award
    ok, so someone on a lifetime award is given a new drug 15 years down the line and is vastly improved, you dont think that they should have a reassessment at all?
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Options
    Aputsiaq wrote: »
    ok, so someone on a lifetime award is given a new drug 15 years down the line and is vastly improved, you dont think that they should have a reassessment at all?

Not unless in the particular case I was talking about the drug is able to grow a new spinal cord which is why the assessment ended in a lifetime award.
    There will be a lot of people with these awards who have problems that are not treatable or have no chance of improving by any means.
    That is why they were given lifetime awards.
    Is re-assessing them going to make them suddenly well.
  • Aputsiaq
    Options
    Not unless in the particular case I was talking about the drug is able to grow a new spinal cord which is why the assessment ended in a lifetime award.
    There will be a lot of people with these awards who have problems that are not treatable or have no chance of improving by any means.
    That is why they were given lifetime awards.
    Is re-assessing them going to make them suddenly well.
    And I was talking in the future when technology or medical science may have produced something that will help or benefit then....that is not available today.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a lifetime (well, indefinate) award. No amount of medication will reverse the damage on my optic nerves.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Mandymull
    Mandymull Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    my two daughters have life time awards too...no amount of technology will make their profound learning and the associated disabilites disappear and turn them both into TYPCIAL teenagers.
    ;(
    Mandy
    I am trying to improve life for my family
    I must save money for our future.
    I must get back to my goal weight....
    :j
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    there's a 40 page thread that digs a bit (a lot actually) into this subject. Go to the other post, ;) sorry no link
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • JoE
    JoE Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Aputsiaq wrote: »
    Absolutely agree.
    No matter what award anyone gets, random medicals should be compulsory.

Anyone who is genuinely in need will be fine,it will weed out malingerers though.

except that the medical assessors are often next to useless, or worse, dishonest.

My first one pushed me to do things that caused severe pain and exhaustion, both straight away and (because of my condition, which he should have known) for days afterwards, lied about my answers (e.g. said I'd said I could walk 500 yards unaided when I actually said I sometimes made it to the shop 100 yards away by sitting on all the garden walls on the way), then left me literally half way up the stairs clinging to the banister in tears because he insisted on seeing me try to climb them and then rushed out the door when my husband came home from work. Seriously :mad:
    I was eventually given an apology at the second appeal hearing, but that was 8 months later, 15 months after filling in the forms, and having had no money in between.

To be fair, the one after that was fine, a former GP doing it out of choice, as opposed to someone so incompetent they couldn't get a job anywhere else. Not that I'm bitter...

I do agree that there should be checks, but the current system is broken and doesn't weed out the false claimants. You have to jump through so many hoops it's a wonder any genuine claimants have the energy. If I hadn't had help from a local charity I would have had to give up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure