Peer to peer lending for newbies

Is it best to stick to something like zopa or rate-setting or funding circle as an initial foray into this? Would just like a decent interest rate and to learn a bit more about this. I keep seeing able rite mentioned and assets capital but seen conflicting posts about this being good for newbies and saying it's a lot more complicated (I've had a look at assets capitals website doesn't seem that complicated) . So would just like a second opinion.

I was just going to go for rate-setter but the interest rate is pathetic although if there's still the welcome bonus hats probably worth 1k for 12 months

I want an account that I can just stick 1 to 3 k in spread across multiple loans for some protection and happy to tie up for up to 5 years if necessary.

Comments

• Carolinemjs
    Carolinemjs Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm new to peer to peer too. I went with Ratesetter with £1000 for a year and got 3.1% plus the £100 bonus which is paid at the end of term, which gives a decent rate at the end of about 13%.
    Meanwhile I'm trying to learn more.
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 8:28AM
    There is a good thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4313323. Probably best to skip to the more recent posts but do have a read, jamesd and masonic for two provide some good advice.

Personally I use p2p a lot. Once you have filled current accounts/regular savers it is an option, although it can be confusing. Research your potential platforms, they are all very different. I find some hard to trust and will not put money anywhere I am not comfortable with. There have been issues abroad in the past and I have no doubt something will go belly up in some way here eventually. P2P independent forum is a good resource to discuss platforms.

If Ratesetter still do the introduction offer of £100 for keeping £1000 there for a year that is an ideal place to start, personally I did that but do not use them for more. You want to diversify. Spread your money amongst many different loans on many different platforms in many different sectors (personal, business, secured on property, secured on valuables etc). Be aware of the risks you are taking and make sure you are getting an appropriate rate on your cash. If you dedicate some time to it you will make it work and hopefully get some great returns.
  • Also foraged into Ratesetter with a grand. Getting 3.9% on the rolling market recently but had to wait for that. The website is easy and instinctive to use.
    Recent changes to the t&cs and the provision fund coverage drop spooked some I think.
    Zopa and ratesetter are the primary ones but there are loads of other platforms.
    Have a read of this: http://p2pindependentforum.com
    Good luck.
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    To me it's not worth Zopa or Ratesetter, apart from teh bonus at the latter, as the rates don't reflect the risk.

I've just topped using Savingstream, and utilise money thing and Ablrate, which are secured and generally offer around 1% a month. Still risk but very different to unsecured lending and the ability to review at least some information on the available loans.
  • Thanks What made you stop using savingstream out of interest?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks What made you stop using savingstream out of interest?
    See recent discussion from here onwards.
  • Thanks very much
  • Follow up question is there any of the ones authorised for the ifisa that people would recommend. Been waiting for ages for the main players to be authorised. I'm a higher rate tax payer so I think I'm reasonably close to my limit though some are in partners name or joint so I need to work it out
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Follow up question is there any of the ones authorised for the ifisa that people would recommend. Been waiting for ages for the main players to be authorised. I'm a higher rate tax payer so I think I'm reasonably close to my limit though some are in partners name or joint so I need to work it out
    I would say no, not yet. Use a flexible cash ISA to preserve your allowance if you need to. The current batch of providers nearing completion does include some attractive options, so hopefully it will not be too much longer.
  • Thanks masonic much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport