Zeth Sampson - Cowboy Builder - Nottingham

sarahm1982
sarahm1982 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 9 August 2016 at 8:45PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi, I thought I'd post on here to warn people of a cowboy builder operating in the Sherwood area of Nottingham. His name is Zeth Sampson and his company is East Midlands Building and Renovations, or EMBR for short.

My job was a relatively straightforward refurbishment but Zeth struggled badly until the day he left. To make things worse I paid him prior to completion, after he pressured me for an advance. He said he'd come back to finish the job but of course he didn't, leaving me out of pocket for thousands. When I got another builder in to finish the work I also found out Zeth had made a number of mistakes, some of which were potentially dangerous and had to be rectified at my expense. This was corroborated by a number of other independent tradesmen.

There were a lot of warning signs from the start, including his work being painfully slow but whenever I questioned the delays he assured me he knew what he was doing. As well as poor quality work, being slow, taking my money and not finishing the job, my new builder found piles of rubbish under the floor boards which Zeth had put under there instead of paying for a skip.

It sounds stupid that I'd even employed him - and I guess I was naive - but Zeth also has a broken wrist, which he often complained was hurting him. I thought it was temporary or would heal by the time he started work but I think it's a permanent injury and further impairs his ability to work.

Zeth seems like a really nice guy, which is why I employed him - in addition to being recommended - but the truth is he simply doesn't know what he's doing. He also seemed quite stressed about money and his home life, he told me his wife wouldn't let him work late when he was behind on a job and often complained that he struggled with money as she refused to get a job, which also explains why he was always pushing to be paid in advance. On top of everything else I didn't really need to be burdened with his family problems!

Since this happened I've also spoken to reputable tradesmen who used to work with Zeth but now refuse to because of this.

This was a really stressful time for me and I hope no one else has to go through what I did. I hope this post helps others, as knowing who the rogue traders are is often as useful as knowing who are the good ones!

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sarahm1982 wrote: »
    Hi, I thought I'd post on here to warn people of a cowboy builder operating in the Sherwood area of Nottingham. His name is Zeth Sampson and his company is East Midlands Building and Renovations, or EMBR for short.

My job was a relatively straightforward refurbishment but Zeth struggled badly until the day he left. To make things worse I paid him prior to completion, after he pressured me for an advance. He said he'd come back to finish the job but of course he didn't, leaving me out of pocket for thousands. When I got another builder in to finish the work I also found out Zeth had made a number of mistakes, some of which were potentially dangerous and had to be rectified at my expense. This was corroborated by a number of other independent tradesmen.

There were a lot of warning signs from the start, including his work being painfully slow but whenever I questioned the delays he assured me he knew what he was doing. As well as poor quality work, being slow, taking my money and not finishing the job, my new builder found piles of rubbish under the floor boards which Zeth had put under there instead of paying for a skip.

It sounds stupid that I'd even employed him - and I guess I was naive - but Zeth also has a broken wrist, which he often complained was hurting him. I thought it was temporary or would heal by the time he started work but I think it's a permanent injury and further impairs his ability to work.

Zeth seems like a really nice guy, which is why I employed him - in addition to being recommended - but the truth is he simply doesn't know what he's doing. He also seemed quite stressed about money and his home life, he told me his wife wouldn't let him work late when he was behind on a job and often complained that he struggled with money as she refused to get a job, which also explains why he was always pushing to be paid in advance. On top of everything else I didn't really need to be burdened with his family problems!

Since this happened I've also spoken to reputable tradesmen who used to work with Zeth but now refuse to because of this.

This was a really stressful time for me and I hope no one else has to go through what I did. I hope this post helps others, as knowing who the rogue traders are is often as useful as knowing who are the good ones!

What work didn't he finish?
  • Almost too much to list but in brief it included finishing the brickwork, joinery, plastering, plumbing and electrics. Some jobs needed finishing, others hadn't been done at all. He also left the place in a complete mess which had to be cleared.
  • Sarahm1982 what a despicable individual you are to sit down and post this. Everything that you have written is a libellous work of fiction, a string of lies, and says far more about you!

I am the wife that you have mentioned - how dare you try and bad mouth my husband with this tissue of lies and then have the nerve to bring your unfounded assumptions in about me and our personal situation/family life too!

You clearly are not who you portray yourself to be as my husband has not done any jobs in recent years that match your description of the work that you claim to have employed him for. EVERYTHING that you have posted is a lie, not an ounce of truth and that makes your post libellous and therefore a crime.

What sort of sad, pathetic individual are you? You chose to sit at your keyboard, make up a fake profile, and then post a string of lies and for what purpose? Do you get some kick from trying to destroy someone's reputation and business so that he cannot provide for his family?!! Gosh your family must be so proud of you - NOT!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Gets a bit more fishy by the minute this thread........
  • HiToAll
    HiToAll Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    :coffee:
    This is going to be a good thread I feel. Pull up a chair.
  • ** sits back and watches the show
  • Popcorn! Get your popcorn here

:beer::j
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    where any puppies hurt?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • HiToAll
    HiToAll Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    pappa_golf wrote: »