Finding a job following dismissal for gross misconduct

Comments

• Sandhy
    Sandhy Posts: 217 Forumite
    I've read this through and a few things spring to mind...
    In your favour, you're not a job-hopper ~ you've kept each of the jobs you've had for a decent length of time each. Future employers like that kind of stability. Any decent employer will look at the whole picture and the person standing in front of them. An interviewer's job is to assess the interviewee's potential. Honesty is a huge asset.
    If asked about the GM, answer truthfully, then state lesson learned etc. and move on with a positive.
    Incidentally as someone previously said some employers slap disciplinaries and warnings more readily than others.
    I had worked in various jobs for over 30 years and never even had a verbal warning until 2 years ago. Then myself and my team of 3 each had a rapid succession of verbal and written warnings. I had 2 jobs at the time. Don't tell me I was a different unreliable and dishonest person in my 2nd job, or had become a different person. I knew the truth and it was a kangaroo court. I handed in my notice, worked my notice and jumped ship. I've now got a 2nd job and still work 2 jobs.
    Please try and stop beating yourself up. Look to sorting things out with the appeal or move on to pastures new. Not easy in the current climate though but I think you'll be fine once you've found something and can move on from all this.
    Good luck x
  • I am really trying Sandy...my partner thinks I should lie as it won't show on my reference...I'm so desperately terrified I'm going to lose everything and each morning I wake it's like another nightmare starting.....
  • Ok if there is a temp role available...which could become permanent do I tell the agency about my dismissal? Or wait and see if I get an interview with firm concerned?

It's a part time role.
  • melysion
    melysion Posts: 801 Forumite
    Shazza122 wrote: »
    Ok if there is a temp role available...which could become permanent do I tell the agency about my dismissal? Or wait and see if I get an interview with firm concerned?

Well ... I might be naive but wouldn't they want a reference from your last employer?
  • Yes they would. It won't state reason for leaving tho. However I don't want to lie but just worried if I tell the agency I won't even get to interview stage
  • an9i77
    an9i77 Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is there any way you can get a reference from your ex employer? Some employers are prepared to provide a copy of what they would send to a new employer (strictly speaking a testimonial) - if you could get one at least you would know what you were dealing with
  • Yes they have sent me a copy if the standard reference they supply and it does not state reason for leaving
  • melysion
    Yes they have sent me a copy if the standard reference they supply and it does not state reason for leaving

Then dont worry about it for now. Just apply for the post and if they ask you in for interview decide beforehand whether you want to mention the GM.
  • Oh god so confused I really don't know what to do for the best!!!
  • melysion
    Oh god so confused I really don't know what to do for the best!!!

Wait until the interview stage. That is what I would do. Then - if you feel the need to honest when they ask why you left your last job - at least you can state your case face-to-face.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure