PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

How much mince would you need to feed 5 adults and 3 toddlers without being over generous or mean at the same time?
Penny xxx
Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'd go for 4-6 oz per adult and 2 oz per toddler - 2 lb 4 oz. But it depends what you're making - a cottage pie or mince and tatties needs more than spag bol or chili because of the extra ingredients.
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'd use 2 pounds of mince, 6-8 ounces of onions, 3 oxo cubes, and make a shepherds pie with 2 1/2 pounds of potatoes. Grate a little cheese over the top and serve with carrots, peas and yorkshire puds!
    If you make too much, it freezes well and reheats in the microwave.
  • FZwanab
    FZwanab Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Thats great advice, much appreciated, sorry for delay getting back to your responses.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    there are 2 adults and 2 little ones in my house and i only ever cook 1Lb mince at any one time(unless im cooking for the freezer)works fine for us and we all have quite big appetites
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    LJM wrote:
    there are 2 adults and 2 little ones in my house and i only ever cook 1Lb mince at any one time(unless im cooking for the freezer)works fine for us and we all have quite big appetites
    always used 1lb of mince for 2 adults and 3 kids, but bulked it up with carrots and plenty of totties, a spoonfull of baked beans would fill a space in the plate too. We all liked our grub too:rotfl:
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • When making a chilli (or shepards pie etc) I was wondering how much mince people use? :confused: just I always use a pack of mince - not sure of the size think they are about 400/500g?? standard supermarket packet anyway. And I was wondering if this was too much just for 2 people for one meal?

How can I pad out a chilli to make it go further? Know what sort of things I can use in sherpards pie etc, but just a bit stuck with what to put in a chilli?

Any ideas be great :)
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Extra kidney beans?
    I put sweetcorn in almost everything to pad them out and add to the 5 a day, or peas sometimes. ;)

In curry I add sweet potato which is lovely ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use turkey mince as it is lower in fat and use about 450 grams for five or six people.

For Shepherd's pie I pad it out with lots of onion, tomatoes, grated carrot and add a tin of baked beans to the base before topping with mashed potato.

For pasta I omit the beans but add peppers or mushrooom as well as the above.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Hmmmm sweetcorn sounds a good idea, thank you! :)
  • I use a small pack of mince and if the sauce is tomato based like spag bol or chilli I throw in loads of red lentils. If it is gravy based I use green lentils. i also add loads of kidney beans, chickpeas and veg to chilli to make it go further. A bit windy roung here:o but it really eaks it out.
    I usually have enough for 4 people and leftovers to freeze another 4 portions. I hate people having seconds as it throws my freezer cooking out of kilter:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure