scottish power

Comments

• moggsy
    moggsy Posts: 56 Forumite
    I had an interesting call from an SP sales rep last night. I've recently switched to EDF and have been stung with the cancellation fee as it took 3 weeks rather than the expected 6. Anyway the rep said:

1. We want you to come back to SP, and if you do we will waive the £50 cancellation fee.

2. 'Have you heard of Martin Lewis? Well a couple of weeks ago on GMTV he said energy rates would soon be rising, so you'd be better off on our capped tariff'.

3. I recommend 'Fix n Flex' because it's the best of both worlds blah, blah, blah.

4. It's cheaper then EDF's cheapest tariff. I calculate you'll save 6% over the year on this tariff.

5. No, you can't have anything in writing as it has to be done over the phone.

On request he then gave me the unit costs for Fix n Flex (which turned out to be minus VAT).

Going back onto a comparison website proved most of what he said to be false. I'll save 13% by sticking with EDF. I thought lying to get a sale is illegal? I wonder if Martin knows his name is being used?
  • robt7893
    robt7893 Posts: 139 Forumite
    Looks as if they are starting to panic then with all these people leaveing SP,if they treated there customers more like human beings instead of giveing them missleading information about there tariffs we wouldn't be leaveing in droves like we are, i'm just waiting to see if I get clobbered by SP for this penalty charge, I applied to EDF right on the limit, I might just get away with it if things work out right, time will tell.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    KTF wrote: »
    Once you have signed up can you amend the DD or do you have to call them up and sign up over the phone instead to get the correct amounts?

I received an 80% reduction on the suggested debit without any cross-examination. And a free 0800 number as well.
  • kar999
    kar999 Posts: 706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been too busy to check but I assume the EDF tariff is still up and running?

I was planning to switch on Friday 28th (late) as no-one will be worrking over the weekend and the 31st is a bank holiday.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
  • Im currently going through the process. Topcashback hasn't tracked so have an open enquiry with them, very annoying!

I find it annoying that they email a lot of stuff and then also send a letter which asks similiar information but not quite all the same....

Any how it all slows up the process which is good. I am being asked for a meter reading now on this piece of paper so think I will hang fire on it at the moment until Friday, so I know it won't go through til after the BH!

Rich
  • chubbina
    chubbina Posts: 47 Forumite
    Yes well I opted out of the capped 2010 deal too by clicking on the link on the email, then after some warnings on here decided a couple of days ago to email SP to ask for confirmation I wasn't being placed on the capped tariff, they got back to me today and guess what? they WERE processing putting me on the capped tariff, numpties.

So anyone who has simply clicked the link in the email rejecting the capped tariff, I would advise you strongly to either email them separately or phone them and get confirmation you are not be transferred to the capped tariff

I too was worried that my request to opt out had not gone through as I received nothing from them to confirm it. I rang them today and they said they had no record of me opting out! (I have a screen print of it though!). She changed it for me over the phone and I asked her to email me the confirmation too, which she did straight away.

I strongly recommend anyone who has clicked on the opt out link from the email and not yet received confirmation to give them a ring (on the freephone number).
  • I also suggest that people be careful with moving from SP fixed rate. I have had to email them five times so far, stating explicitly that I do not want to be on any restrictive tariff that charges a fee for cancelling. I have had four replies so far, telling me that I won't have to pay the fee unless I move after 13 October. I have just emailed them again, asking if the ombudsman knows that they are refusing to place me on any tariff other than the capped one, and will wait to see what transpires.

I am concerned that they'll delay/lose the moving application to end up charging me for the move. I have now created a long paper trail though, so I'd get it back, but can do without the hassle. I have had so much trouble from them this year, I will never, ever use them again, even if they were half the price of any other company.

Rosemary
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 August 2009 at 9:09AM
    I emailed SP to query the opt out - thay have now replied:-
    Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that I have arranged for your Service Package to be changed to Monthly Standard Package . We would change the service package once your current package expires on 31st August 2009 in order to avoid the cancellation charges. Please be informed that we might contact you on the phone numbers mentioned on your account.
    Hopefully if the changeover takes more than 13 days to my new supplier I will escape with no penalty charge!!
  • robt7893
    robt7893 Posts: 139 Forumite
    I phoned SP ref confirmation of opting out, they confirmed I had opted out but refused to send me an E-Mail to confirm this, they said it would show on my on line billing after 31st August, I tried to explain to him that customers needed to be sure that they were not going onto another fixed price deal before the 31st (simple E-Mail would do the trick) but he couldn't grasp what I was getting at so I realised I wasn't going to win so I rang off in disgust.
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My Quidco cashback status for switching to SP a few months ago has changed to validated, any ideas if it's now safe to switch again? Or would you recommend waiting until it's at least received?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure