Real life MMD: Should I tip when using daily deals vouchers?

Options
123457»

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Certain professions have an assumption that workers will be tipped and their basic wage reflect this -other professions don't. Most people entering a profession are aware if they are entering a tipping or non tipping career-often though appreciation is shown by service users in other ways. Someone mentioned nursery nursing-I've never tipped nursery staff with cash but I've given appropriate gifts of vouchers etc at Christmas -which in effect is an acknowledgement and reward of good service so is in fact a tip too.

I've worked in both -and there have been times my tips vastly outweighed my basic wage because I am capable of giving exceptional service and on the whole most customers express appreciation with a tip-however the job I do now I'm paid a wage and there is no tipping culture. I still do my best to go above and beyond but I think it means I can see both sides.

In all honesty most people given exceptional service who don't tip and in general are ungracious and miserable in their general attitude anyway-and I have little doubt that extends to other parts of their lives too.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Surreystarlet
    Options
    On a more practical level, I was bought a gift voucher for a manicure last year. I had never had one before and on arriving at the salon was asked to take a seat. Before the manicurist started on my nails she suggested that I paid now as obviously my nails would be wet and I would scuff them getting my purse out later. I said I had a gift voucher which she said was perfectly fine and I handed it over.

Therein lies the dilemma! Was I a tight-!!!! for not tipping? But tipping for a service I had yet to receive seems wrong as well!
  • boldasbrass
    Options
    Isn't the culture of tipping a form of tax evasion really? I mean, what's the difference between receiving half your income in tips and receiving cash-in-hand for work done for a mate?

In many businesses, staff are forbidden to receive any form of 'incentive', and politicians who do so are seen as corrupt. So why is it acceptable for taxi drivers and hairdressers?
    What a mixed-up, contrary society we live in!!

Getting back to the question, maybe those who insist a tip is necessary feel some guilt about having someone perform these tasks for them?
  • Ashagill
    Ashagill Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah, when my partner and I go out to dinner, I almost always have a discount card/voucher and we always tip a percentage of the original bill price. But I think it might have something to do with the fact that he works as a waiter, and I work in a bar at a theatre and I rarely get tipped, so really appreciate it.

Having said that if we get a really terrible waiter, customer service wise we don't tip, or tip like 20p.
    However, I can't imagine ever tipping anyone for a massage - but then i've never had one. I also don't tip taxi drivers unless they've done something extra nice like wait or have to go back for something, or just been cheerful.

I don't know. Perhaps the Japanese have it right. Just don't tip full stop. Gets rid of all this uncertainty.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Isn't the culture of tipping a form of tax evasion really? I mean, what's the difference between receiving half your income in tips and receiving cash-in-hand for work done for a mate?

?

The difference is that employees in jobs where tips are customary have their tax returns assessed with an assumption they will havee been tipped. A London cab driver for example who submitted a tax return claiming they'd received no tips wouldn't be believed and would have their calculations reassessed.

So completely different to Joe Bloggs doing a bit of decorating and getting paid cash in hand.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • dachse
    dachse Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Ashagill wrote: »
    I don't know. Perhaps the Japanese have it right. Just don't tip full stop. Gets rid of all this uncertainty.

Yes 100% agree.:beer:
  • janiebquick
    Options
    Yes, you should.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure