Capital One

I have been ignoring the continually building up letters from Capital One regarding my debt, plus also the debt collectors letters on behalf of Capital One too, mainly because I have been ill with my health. Ok I know its no excuse and I really shouldn't have but I was in the mind that if I threw it away and buried my head in the sand it would all disappear. Now I can say that I have decided its now time to face up to my debt.

After reading a few things on here, and seeing one particular post about claiming a debt of bank charges I have decided to do this with Capital One.

I had a limit of £200 but the actual debt is now way over £650.00 which is all charges and late payment charges. What I wanted to know is it actually possible to get ALL the charges paid back, although I would actually like the whole debt written off but I know that won't happen.. Now technically they won't be giving me the money back myself as I haven't actually paid them this back yet, so they would be giving it back to themselves if you see what I mean.

I did manage to get something like this sorted out with Nationwide when basically one of my accounts was actually all bank charges for bounced direct debits and with just one email to them they happily refunded the money out of the account and cleared the balance.

Is it possible to do the same with Capital One. I don't have any copies of their statements and as this has now been sold to debt collectors who do I contact to get the copies.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the long waffle..
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• Lizzy
    Lizzy Posts: 385 Forumite
    Capital 1 will be able to provide the statements for you. I hope that you have not had a default put on your credit file. To avoid this just pay as little as £10 per month if you can. Actually if the debt is in dispute they are not allowed to do anything like that but it wont always stop them. It is easier not to let that happen than to get it removed later. If you do have a default the 1st letter you send should have a section on it about having the default removed as part of your claim.

The Consumer Action Group have sections on everyone's bank, you will find Capital 1 there. They all act in a different way. Halifax buckle at the sound of a court paper dropping through their door, Barclays fight to the death often settling the day before court. I'm having a fight with them at the moment but I won't give in.

I am glad you are feeling better, once you get your teeth into this you will feel such empowerment as you get them on the run. It can be difficult at times but worth the effort to get your life back.

There are some really reallly sad stories on the CAG that I have read and how the bank have treated people. A man had to give up work to help his wife after a cancer diagnosis, the way the banks treated them was horrendious. No compassion, no help nothing just lots of charges. Thousands of pounds worth.

So go get em !!!!!!
  • Hi there i raised a claim with cap 1 and they offered me half the charges back but like you i just wanted my balance cleared so i have raised a small claim action with them judging by what everyone elses claim went like i am expecting to get the money back before the court date comes up so definatley go for it sooner rather than later and good luck
  • I went to court with Cap one for charges and got it all back as soon as I put the papers in. Good luck
  • capital one card services
    po box 5283
    nottingham
    ng2 3yj

This is the address i wrote to and was claiming £320 as i didnt have my statements and was using memory and a few records. I received a letter with a settlement called a goodwill gesture! for £148. As i was a bit nervous and worried i accepted so that is the right address and good luck..

Kim
    x
    No one said it was going to be easy!!

Sept GC £160:money:
  • I am about to send my letter to capital one to claim back late payment fees but does anyone know if i can claim back overlimit fees as well??

thanks

xx
    Married my amazing hubby on 8th September 2012 :j:j
  • Thanks biglad great encouragement! I'll start getting things together + let you all know how it goes.
  • I have to say I am in arrears with other credit cards but Capital One were brilliant. I was in a similar position, around 700 pound balance on a 200 limit. They contacted me to say that they would be prepared to refund 12 months of charges without any prompting. I haven't looked back. I don't think this is something they do regularly but it might be worth being honest with them and making the first move.
    Dan
  • fkelanne
    fkelanne Posts: 706 Forumite
    hiya all, i need abit of advice please.
    I sent cap one a letter on the 14th of nov as i didnt have all my statments since i opened the account i just said can i have my charged back please(went sumit like that),i recieved a letter back 2day offering me £136, but it says in the letter : '' i'd like to reuce the fees we've added to your account to £12 each''.
    Ive added up that £136 up to 17 charges at £8 each then added the extra £12 for each charge with the grand total is £340 should i go for the full amount or should i take the money and run?

P.S that would clear my account plus little left over.
    savings for 2012.. New year new me.. Going to save save save... and not spend spend spend. :rotfl:
    WANT £7000 BY JAN 2012.
    Jan -£80
    Feb -
    March-
  • go for the full amount!
  • Hi,
    I will start with a basic description of my situation:

I obtained a Capital One credit card in September 2001 with a limit of £200.

I had just turned 18 and was starting a new college course for which I needed access to some quick money (towards a PC).
    Foolishly (with hindsight) I withdrew £180 (allowing for the cash withdrawal %). Then when my first statement arrived they (Capital One) had charged the annual fee which took me over my £200 limit. I wasn't aware that the annual fee would be added to the first statement.

I can't remember for definate how much they charged me (it was either £30/35) but that started a slippery slope of overlimit charges and missed payments.
    I was working part-time and could comfortably afford what was going to be the minimum % every month (plus a little extra I had hoped) but with the extra charges I just couldn't manage the debt.

By the end I owed Capital One over £1000 (for a £200 card!). They issued me with a default notice and I came to an agreement to pay £50 per month.
    I followed that without any problems and the debt was paid late 2004/early 2005 (I can't remeber for definate).

I certainly learn't my lesson and it has made me much more aware of the problems that credit can cause. I've taken several steps and hopefully they are helping to rebuild my credit rating.

I was just wondering whether I would have a case for claiming any of the £800 worth of charges that Capital One imposed?
    Also, due to todays security issues my old Capital statements may have all been shredded (I will start looking if you guys think I have grounds to claim) - would Capital One be able to give me the required statements etc based on just my name and address if I couldn't find the account number?

Many thanks in advance for any possible help,

Karl.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family