Car Finance 8 months after BR

TMinside
TMinside Posts: 26 Forumite
edited 15 November 2017 at 7:27PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows any LEGIT finance companies that are willing to take on a Discharged Bankrupt. (8 Months +) Struggling to find any that don't look like a scam..

I am employed full time with a decent wage and have £3,500/4k deposit to put down.

I DO NOT want to do a guarantor loan - so please... don't even suggest it.

Has anyone heard any good things about any existing companies or used them yourselves.

Comments

• be VERY difficult to source something so soon after bankruptcy most will involve sky high APR's till the bankruptcy drops off your credit files in 6yrs
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 November 2017 at 8:59PM
    CarFinance247.co.uk are legit and search a panel of lenders - I've included full link because googling will get you god knows what!

3 years after BR date, good salary and 5k deposit... I was only accepted by Billing Finance at sky high rates. They were prepared to lend me up to 15k (plus the interest etc on top) so clearly not concerned about me doing a runner because the car is security.... with my salary they obviously thought I was low risk but a cash cow because I'd not get accepted anywhere else

Flat rate 17% I think it was.... 32.9% APR it works out at... plus document fee, signing fee, fee for breathing etc etc.

I'm paying my loan off early with savings in a few months, effectively it was just a bridging loan which should also improve my report. If you desperately need one, be very careful - especially if it's fixed.

You could overpay by £3k 2 days after the loan was granted.... isn't going to change the interest calculations til the whole lot is settled.

I tried to get standard reducing balance agreement "no... lender doesn't do that".... but they were very keen on selling the benefits of overpayment to me (despite the fact it has zero effect on the costs, until the ENTIRE loan is cleared... so I'm paying the bare contracted minimum to quickly get the full amount rounded up and paid off).

Good customer service from both companies to give them credit, and they (well, Billing rather than CF247) obviously operate to serve a gap in the market. Just be very very clear what you are paying and how much it will cost, if it's really worth it etc.

For me it's enabled me to get a new job I'd have not got otherwise (45,000 miles a year in an old banger is not going to go well....), with great career prospects - but I know I'll have paid a good £2k for the privilege of it.

I'd imagine Billing would take you, but maybe a lower limit if you're recently discharged. I'd go via CF247 as Billing website seems a faff to fill in (and no I don't work for CF247). All I had to do was upload a payslip and I was fully approved within a day.

I guess you could get a provisional approval via CF247 then approach the lender direct and see if they'll do a deal. CF247 told me it was a "good lender" - when I asked who, as I've worked in banking, I didn't expect an answer.... but they were very upfront in telling me, so presumably were not worried about the risk of being undercut!
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Buy a car for 4k cash there a lots to be had, that way you have no payments and no silly high interest rates to, stop going to work to make others rich

we have to learn from our past mistakes not carry on as we were before

sorry to sound blunt but i wish someone had said this to me
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Utter lunacy. Unless you have to drive huge miles on business. you can get a perfectly reasonable car for £2k maximum. I suggest the OP goes on autotrader and does a search for private sales so the fact he has cash is used to maximum effect.

Modern cars are pretty damn reliable. I just avoid anything French (sorry), anything that has been a CAT2, ex-hire, new engine etc. Then go for something boring but well-made (Focus, Mondeo, Japanese etc), between 30-60k miles.
  • Agreeing with all the others saying don't get a loan. After my £500 metro came to the point of no return after 5 years and 80,000+ miles earlier this month, I splashed out on a fiesta with 34,000 on the clock that feels like a brand new car for £1,500. 12 months MOT, 3 month warranty.

Paying interest is a mugs game.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills