MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity

Comments

• VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,770
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can find very little mention of this, other than a few news pages. I assume a big retailer like Tesco will be at least matching these charitable contributions.

Or was my first cynical assumption that they get other people to donate, then try and take the credit themselves, correct?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I always say no to any such request.... I don't wish to be mugged by the middle classes so they can be seen to have made a large donation to a charity. I'd rather slide £5 in the collecting box of my choice, when I choose, than to round up 10p in an automated "lip service" charity giving promotional exercise by smug middlers.

This ^^^^ 100%.

I give to a few charities for personal reasons.
    These 2 are not on my list.
    If I'm paying for my shopping, I want to pay for what I've bought and not be bothered by someone (or a self service till) asking me questions.
  • Contessa wrote: »
    I believe someone working in a bank years ago stole thousands of pounds from customers by rounding up the debits (into his own account) by 1 or 2 pennies a time.

Gus Gorman. And it was back in 1983.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • I always say no to any such request.... I don't wish to be mugged by the middle classes so they can be seen to have made a large donation to a charity. I'd rather slide £5 in the collecting box of my choice, when I choose, than to round up 10p in an automated "lip service" charity giving promotional exercise by smug middlers.
    I completely agree with this and also think that TESCO is pressurizing people, some of whom may be on a very limited income to donate to charities without realising that some of their money will go towards supporting very large salaries. The BHF pays two people above £170 000pa and 50 people above £60 000pa. If they can pay that they don't need my pennies.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Shop at Aldi or Lidl, give half the saving to your favourite charity and the other half to you. It's a lose-lose for Tesco.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    I can find very little mention of this, other than a few news pages. I assume a big retailer like Tesco will be at least matching these charitable contributions.

Or was my first cynical assumption that they get other people to donate, then try and take the credit themselves, correct?

I really hope not as that just means a customer who donates is paying twice and even those who don't donate directly are still paying as the customer is where "Tesco money" comes from so the customer is paying for it anyway.
  • sheils6
    sheils6 Posts: 15,850
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hadn't heard about this. Just checked my bill and Tesco rounded my bill up without asking! Only 7p but annoyed I wasn't asked.
    Mar Wins :- £2 GfK Media

Best Win of 2019 - Forest Holiday :)
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Sounds like some staff can't be bothered to ask. They are just thinking to themselves, either by the look 'thier rich enough to afford it' or the person won't complain over a few pennies.

As for Tesco say's you can get a refund in store, who is going to go up to customer services and ask for a few pennies refund, with everybody looking at them.

Also by some of the comments on here, it seems that Tesco aren't promoting the 'round your bill up' very well but leaving it up to the cashiers to promote and possibly get the abuse for it.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Anyone overcharged (which is what it is) could report it to trading standards, enough complaints and I suspect they would at least "have a word".
    Tesco should be required to get customers who are happy to be robbed in this way to initial the receipt so there can be no question about it and only allow the customer to instigate the transaction in the first place not allow it to be the cashiers suggestion.

Also "Giving" this way, like collection tins, is one of the least efficient ways to donate.
  • Check the amounts carefully!!!

On the (scan as you shop) checkout it asked if I wanted to round up by 0.04p for charity.

Clearly this isn't possible, as checkouts don't work in hundredths of a penny. The amount should be 4p or £0.04.

This isn't just nit-picking -- the checkout is asking for your consent for one amount, then deducting another amount.

Assuming this bug is present on all checkouts - or at least all self-scan or scan as you shop checkouts - then EVERY charity 'donation' has been taken from customers' funds without consent.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure