PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I need to bite the bullet again, slow and gentle, will concentrate on the shed for a few days, just a few things out most days, not very noticeable things and will only take minutes to remove but they will, over time make a difference. I have dozens of jam jars for preserving but I also have dozens of kilner jars, it is very much letting go of the past when/if I can release the jam jars. I have wonderful green tin stackers, plastic things that securely hold tins on top of each other but I no longer keep lots of tins. I did the unwanted gardening things the other month, now its time to get the three boxes of seeds down to one and so on. Its got to be slow and gentle and there is all the washed sheeps wool that I was going to comb and spin. Been in air tight large 5 gal buckets for four years. I think I will put them in the allotment shed to use as a slug deterrent in my no dig beds, as a mulch. In fact will put a layer on top of chopped green manure before I cover for winter
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kittie, you are so right. Some of the Stuff I was holding onto was indeed holding onto the past. Projects I had planned but couldn't get round to, books I was going to re-read, or just things that stayed because I had had them for ages. This is why the MK magic works, because once you stop and think about each item you can choose which sparks joy, that you love and want to have round you, and the rest can be released to create the space and lightness. It makes the process of reducing Stuff a real pleasure, rather than a task!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    kittie and MM007 - totally agree, I am finding it easy to let go of things that suit a lifestyle that I no longer have and craft things that I have either decided I do not want to pursue or physically now find too painful. I have gone through the acceptance stage and am now enjoying the pleasure of donating to CS, offering to friends or freegling.

Who would have thought that quirky little Japanese lass could have such a profound affect on so many lives:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • allybee101
    allybee101 Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I last posted on the KonMari board, although I have read along for the most part and lurked.
    You have been doing so well.
    I wish i could say that I've been working on decluttering whilst I've been away but that is not the case!
    There have been 2 bags and a box of charity donations sat waiting to be removed for nigh on a year :o
    I think my inertia has been propagated by disinclination to start at the beginning again with clothes because my weight is fluctuating and I don't want to face up to the wardrobe situation. So I did the kitchen a few months ago, a key part of that being getting rid of massively oversized crockery (home warming gift from family). I have a plate and bowl from the Woods Ware crockery of the 1940s, the dinner plate is the same size as the side plates from the 2010s John Lewis set. The JL dinner plates can pretty much hold an entire pizza :eek:
    So, bunch of crockery removed, dinner plates are now a normal size, heap of mugs, tea cups (rarely used as they are so shallow and wide your tea cools down too fast). They joined the pile and lingered for a while longer.

The log jam finally cleared last weekend and I took a boot load of stuff to the charity shop, and another big crate of glass, scrap metal and wood to the HWRC.
    I think the new thread has spurred me on to pick myself back up and get on with the method.
    I have also bought Spark Joy for my Kindle as well, and plan to re-read The Life Changing Magic to help get my brain back into mindset.
    Can see piles of carp as I write this but it doesn't feel quite so overwhelming now. I think lifting the weight of all the carp that left this weekend (some of the boxes were bloomin heavy!) is helping.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am done for today in the shed, I suppose should call it an outbuilding as I have solar lighting, insulation and soft floor and it is large. Its amazing to see the potential arising, I have 5 sets of moveable tall shelving in there and three sets, including one large are chrome and can easily be dismantled. The garage also contains the exact same three sets and they are all the same height and depth so could be neatly placed next to each other. Maybe this should be in the prepping thread but I am recently havng an eye on the ball, in case I want/need to move in future. I was so worried about not having good workshop space but KM is evolving, so that I can now see the potential in using a double garage with these shelving units and all the large, really useful, boxes that I have and am now emptying and which fit perfectly on the shelves

Already today I made a lot of space and have two more empty RU boxes, one is large and collapsible. yes indeed thanks to MK, I and others like me, no longer face the future with that sinking feeling
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Zippychick has now locked the 2015 thread.

Thank you, Zippy.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I went upstairs and looked out three handbags which have been put in a charity bag that will be collected tomorrow. I also included a top I had just bought in the sales and was far too garish for me.

It may not be much but at least it is a start.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    CS Bag going today with a SS frying pan, enamel oblong pie dish, a metal 'thingy' to hold plates,cutlery and napkins for BBQ's that I used once, half a dozen fabric place mats and a book that i've read. Bit random but its going!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Projects I had planned but couldn't get round to

So true....today I found a paper sewing pattern, well it was never lost as it has been in plain view on my 'sewing'shelf for years - just gets moved around. A pattern for a child's cloth activity book - I had such high hopes that I would make it for DD1 when she was born.............roll on DD2 and I had such high hopes I would make it for her.............roll on DD1's 26th birthday today and I caught sight of the pattern,unused,forgotten and now unloved...........into the charity bag it went:D

Have had a kondoing garden day - jobs that have been "roundtoit" jobs that I could never get done because of the weight of guilt and the time taken up by decluttering the house and sheds. I can happily open up sheds and out buildings and look in spare rooms and cupboards now and quickly kondo stuff without thinking much about it. I pretty much know what it here now and what I plan to do with it...........although those plans do change - a 'keep' for Eb*y can quickly become a go to fr88cycle or CS. I am in control now..............need to get OH to sort his man cave which he mentioned in passing to day he was going to extend it:eek::eek:

ETA : among the things I have got ready for CS today are 5 mop buckets......hardly used. The mind boggles.........I have a steam mop!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Smiling at the thought of the sewing pattern. One of the things found in the parental loft the other year was a summer dress, cut out and with the paper pattern pieces still pinned to the fabric. Amazingly, the pins hadn't even rusted.

As there was no interest in making it up thirty years after the event, I removed the pins and added them to the sewing box, gave the fabric bits to a patchworker and recycled the paper pattern.

Just been talking to Dad and he admitted he had found not one but three of their house's original wooden-framed windows hidden in the shed, having been replaced about 26-27 years ago by uPVC and saved 'to maybe make cold frames with'. :o

He's decided that was never going to happen and they've now gone. He also did a tip run with various other bits and bobs and there will be a hazardous waste amnesty this autumn, so a few bits of stuff which came from Nan's shed will go there. There's an unlabelled Nescaff jar of pellets which could be fertiliser or rat poison, but we dare take no chances with them.

Kid Bruv also found one of the Lost Bookcases, a tall one which had long-since disappeared behind a floor-to-ceiling pile of boxes of books in the extension room. This contains Mum's books and they were long out of sight. He left her craft books in situ but brought forward about 30 novels which will be read and donated.

I've been decluttering a bit on my allotment, including getting a few things like worn-out and rotted row marker stakes dried out and added to the paper tater sacks for bonfiring in the autumn. I like to tidy these up once a year, as a few always wear out and are best burned so the potash enriches the soil.

I've been busy at work and the ranch is a bit disordered so I will have a wee rest then get on with some chores. The kitchen could do with bottoming-out but I'm on leave for a fortnight from next week, so will catch up with myself then.

Hope everyone has a good evening. GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills