Unlock your ZTE 627 Mobile Broadband Dongle (the free one from MicroP) for FREE!

Comments

• travel_freak
    travel_freak Posts: 879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I currently have mobile broadband service with Vodafone £15 a month.

The contract is coming to an end and I'm wondering if there are cheaper options.

I bought the dongle at the contract start so this would remain mine if I don't renew the contract with Vodafone.

I need a reliable service and daily access and the ability to download (not huge amounts, I don't go over the 3GB limit).

Just wondering if I can make use of the dongle I have with the free sims talked about in this thread. I don't really understand how it all works. I have a PAYG mobile phone with Orange at the moment.

If I'm still likely to be paying around £15 a week for mobile broadband then I guess I'd be better off just sticking with Vodafone. (As an aside, does anyone know if Vodafone will budge on renewal charges if you threaten to leave its mobile broadband service?)

Any advice gratefully received. Many thx in advance.
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is there any advantage in flashing the firmware with a newer version? Where do I get this firmware from?
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • fyr
    fyr Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've d/loaded unlocker s/ware & the RAR utility, but in both XP & Vista
    when I select to open unblocker with RAR I see a black & white screen momentarily and no interface to work with; anyone else had this/any clues?
  • LeoK_2
    LeoK_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have just been through the order proccess at 3 dongles 4 free.co.uk (original post), then abandoned.

The page wanting my credit card information is a standard, insecure web page.

Has anyone had any issues - yet ?

LeoK
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    fyr wrote: »
    I've d/loaded unlocker s/ware & the RAR utility, but in both XP & Vista
    when I select to open unblocker with RAR I see a black & white screen momentarily and no interface to work with; anyone else had this/any clues?
    Download 7Zip (it's free) and then right click thanks on the file > 7Zip > Extract.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • caz567
    caz567 Posts: 27 Forumite
    YES, YOU CAN UNLOCK THESE FOR FREE (these are the ones you can get free from http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk/ - just pay £4.95) :

Everything you need to unlock this dongle can be found here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/235523732/ZTE2.rar.html

Just download the files and follow the instructions. Also works on earlier versions. Please take care when doing this, as it involves flashing the firmware on your device. If you don't follow the instructions correctly, you could end up bricking your dongle. You choose to flash your dongle at your own risk.

Thanks to FastEddie and Harlzter over at HUKD.

A full global list of Mobile Broadband provider settings can be found here:

http://www.vysoo.com/apn.php#403

Before I start this procedure, I have a few daft questions...

1. I've read the pdf instructions, how do I "allow modem to install drivers"? I guess it's somewhere within Control Panel but I can't find where.

2. I guess that as the SIM has to be removed before starting then I don't need to be connected to the Internet?

3. When I've done everything necessary to unlock the dongle, will I still be able to use my 3 SIM card if I want to (as I still have some credit on it and when it works it's good!!!). Ideally I'd like to be able to change from one SIM to another as and when I need to.

Apologies for the daft questions, I just want to be sure before I start!

Many thanks
    Carol
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 765 Forumite
    1) "allow modem to install drivers" is what it does when you first plug it in. If you've already been using it, the drivers must be installed already.

2) correct

3) My '3' connection still works fine and I can now use my O2 sim which has a better deal for my purposes. BUT You might need to use the connection manager that comes in the .rar file as O2 needs slightly different settings (See earlier posts in this thread).
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 765 Forumite
    LeoK wrote: »
    I have just been through the order proccess at 3 dongles 4 free.co.uk (original post), then abandoned.

The page wanting my credit card information is a standard, insecure web page.

LeoK
    Although the page is insecure, the CC data entry is on a secure frame within the page. Or ir was when I used it. I spotted that as well and made a point of checking.
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Just a note that this ISN'T a true unlock in the sense of unlocking 3's firmware. This just replaces the firmware on your dongle with that nicked from a Filipino site for a different device, namely the ZTE MF626, which is not locked.

If you want a true unlock, you'll have to pay for it from someone like DC-Unlocker.
  • leosayer39
    leosayer39 Posts: 478 Forumite
    point3 wrote: »
    Just a note that this ISN'T a true unlock in the sense of unlocking 3's firmware. This just replaces the firmware on your dongle with that nicked from a Filipino site for a different device, namely the ZTE MF626, which is not locked.

If you want a true unlock, you'll have to pay for it from someone like DC-Unlocker.

Is this true? It isn't a 'true' unlock

Ordered my 'free' dongle last weekend and it arrived today. I have not even opened the box yet :)
    Dont you just love freshly congealed pigs blood, with a bit of fat in :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport