Nationwide on-line banking

Options

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    If "any card reader" from any bank works - how does this add to security ?

Because anyone making these withdrawals would still need YOUR card and YOUR pin to enable them.

The card reader checks you have both of these.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    Options
    If "any card reader" from any bank works - how does this add to security ?
    Because anyone making these withdrawals would still need YOUR card and YOUR pin to enable them.

And you will still need to input your PIN.
    I think the same analogy with withdrawing money from the cash machines.
    You could withdraw money given you have your card with you and input the right PIN
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

But the card reader also outputs a (unique ?) number for you to input into the website ...
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2017 at 8:32AM
    Options
    But the card reader also outputs a (unique ?) number for you to input into the website ...

Which has been generated from your card, pin & the current date & time. So nationwide know that the number was generated just now by someone with access to the card and pin. They told you not to disclose your pin to anyone, so they assume it's you. I don't see how the branding on the card reader is a problem.

Imagine the alternative. All the banks would need to invest extra money in making incompatible card readers, we would have the inconvenience of us having to carry around multiple readers. The only advantage is that a criminal who is going to the hassle of obtaining your card and pin & username, would have to go to the extra minimal effort of obtaining a card reader for each bank.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    Which has been generated from your card, pin & the current date & time. So nationwide know that the number was generated by someone with access to the card and pin. They told you not to disclose your pin to anyone, so they assume it's you. I don't see how the branding on the card reader is a problem.
    Its not a problem - I am just surprised - never even thought about it before !
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,209 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    phillw wrote: »

Imagine the alternative. All the banks would need to invest extra money in making incompatible card readers, we would have the inconvenience of us having to carry around multiple readers. The only advantage is that a criminal who is going to the hassle of obtaining your card and pin & username, would have to go to the extra minimal effort of obtaining a card reader for each bank.

Or, you would have an even larger collection of those awful, non interchangeable, random code generator widgets used by the likes of M&S Bank and Yorkshire Bank:(
  • Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    My card reader arrived today to add to the collection . I made the account application on Sunday June 24th.
    Firstly Nationwide need to communicate that they will instigate online banking (no we haven't all done it in our sleep) and then get the card reader out in the same timescale as card and PIN numbers.
  • bendipa
    bendipa Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2017 at 4:47PM
    Options
    You don't need a card reader to login to Nationwide. By option you can type in an assigned customer number, memorable data answer and 3 digits of an assigned 6 digit passnumber as alternative.

But any card reader should work for any UK bank regardless of which bank supplied it. It's the chip on your debit card that's important.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    bendipa wrote: »
    You don't need a card reader to login to Nationwide. By option you can type in an assigned customer number, memorable data and 3 digits of an assigned 6 digit passnumber as alternative.

Correct. Every time you login, you are given the choice of using either, (a) the card reader or, (b) memorable data.

Option A is a bit quicker and easier. But during the recent 'problems' I was obliged to use option B.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    Correct. Every time you login, you are given the choice of using either, (a) the card reader or, (b) memorable data.

Option A is a bit quicker and easier. But during the recent 'problems' I was obliged to use option B.

In my experience option B is much quicker and easier and does not require either the card or the card reader. There are also three pieces of memorable data that you can choose from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure