Transfer from DLA to PIP for older folks?

Options

Comments

• C.C.L.
    C.C.L. Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2017 at 11:29AM
    Options
    Yes it does. My award is until 2020, but it's December 2020 and it says on the award letter that I will be re-assessed anytime after December 2019.
    Like I said previously the only ones that probably won't are those whose awards say 'ongoing' but that could mean anything knowing the DWP.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DLA had lifetime/indefinite awards.
    these didn't mean that a claimant would never be reassessed, but that there was no timescale for reassessment.

i have been on DLA for 21 years and have never been reassessed.

PIP awards are time limited, and everyone that claims them will be given a timescale of 1 year unto 10 years.

one of the biggest problems with DLA is that regular assessments were not carried out and relied on people informing the DWP if their condition improved.
    many didn't bother.

i have a condition that cannot improve but approve of time limited benefit awards
  • C.C.L.
    C.C.L. Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2017 at 11:25AM
    Options
    Yes I'll be 70 when I'm first due to be assessed. It states it quite clearly on the award notice. I don't agree with it for the older claimants but that's how it is.I've been on DLA since 1995, on a lifetime award (that's what it said originally, for life) but then indefinate.
    I was re-assessed in 2009 under what they call the right payment programme and my care component was increased from middle to high so even before PIP they still assessed some who had lifetime awards.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    DLA had lifetime/indefinite awards.
    these didn't mean that a claimant would never be reassessed, but that there was no timescale for reassessment.

i have been on DLA for 21 years and have never been reassessed.

PIP awards are time limited, and everyone that claims them will be given a timescale of 1 year unto 10 years.

one of the biggest problems with DLA is that regular assessments were not carried out and relied on people informing the DWP if their condition improved.
    many didn't bother.

i have a condition that cannot improve but approve of time limited benefit awards

I'm with you all the way. I've had DLA for 10 years now, given the indefinite award due to no possibility of significant recovery. Not been reassessed although as still of working age, just. I still claim ESA. I've been through that reassessment twice since the original award with no issues. Of course that will end shortly.

The point is I expected that, my post here was to see if after 65 there would be no more interviews.

Am I worried, NO, well yes I do as I get older, everything I control is sorted, the things I can't I worry about.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • nannytone_2
    edited 26 May 2017 at 11:26AM
    Options
    why?

they want the extra money but shouldn't have to prove entitlement?

at least with regular reviews, the system is fair for all.

why should someone be treated differently just because they are older?
    surely they would find that patronising?
    i know i would
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    why?

i know i would
    I hadn't realised that OVER 65's could even claim DLA/PIP - I had assumed that on 65th birthday, it would automatically convert to Attendance Allowance - but apparently - if you are already claiming DLA on your 65th birthday, it continues ad infernitum ?
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I hadn't realised that OVER 65's could even claim DLA/PIP - I had assumed that on 65th birthday, it would automatically convert to Attendance Allowance - but apparently - if you are already claiming DLA on your 65th birthday, it continues ad infernitum ?

thats how it has always been. if entitled before 65th birthday then you keep it IF you continue to be entitled
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »

Cost is the one and only reason for this system, which treats those becoming ill, no matter how severely, after 65 as second class citizens.

My father developed Parkinsons in his late 60s and could only 'walk' a few steps. If he hadn't us ,he would never have left his home, because there is no mobility help with AA.
  • nannytone_2
    edited 26 May 2017 at 11:26AM
    Options
    there is a difference between disability and the natural agiing process though.

DLA/PIP is only paid for the disability.

i am blind and will continue to be blind.
    that is what i receive DLA for. any changes due to the natural process of waging aren't pRT OF MY DLA CLAIM
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    why?

i know i would

Hi I was just going to take exception to that but see you quoted a deleted post, this is where the forum falls down as the post count catches up and reader can't see what happened.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport