Need not Want.

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    julie2710 wrote: »
    I normally get the sugar free one. It's for my youngest who is 4! Wonder if he'd take paracetamol in something else? Might be worth a go?

Jam works too although I'm not sure why you would bother with 'sugar free' since its less than a teaspoon of sugar being consumed. Surely, the name of the game is to aleviate the symptoms?
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • julie2710
    julie2710 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Jam works too although I'm not sure why you would bother with 'sugar free' since its less than a teaspoon of sugar being consumed. Surely, the name of the game is to aleviate the symptoms?

It's no dearer and my poor youngest (4) has had so many antibiotics, gloopy yellow amoxicillin stuff that coats teeth making him look like he's radioactive, it has had a bad impact on his dental health, confirmed by his dentist. I probably feel so bad about it I go overboard in trying to get him to avoid sugar and acidic stuff :(
    MBNA [STRIKE]£2,029[/STRIKE] £1,145 Virgin [STRIKE]£8,712[/STRIKE] £7,957 Sainsbury [STRIKE]£6,870[/STRIKE] £5,575 M&S [STRIKE]£10,016[/STRIKE] £9,690 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£11,951[/STRIKE] £11,628 CTC [STRIKE]£7,629[/STRIKE] £6,789 Mortgage £[STRIKE]182,828[/STRIKE] £171,670
    LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
    Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
    Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week £0 / YTD£1,457.55
  • Please don't mess around with paracetamol, having seen a child die from paracetamol poisoning it a really unpleasant death.

Just buy the cheapest generic paracetamol suspension

The wikipedia article you have linked from has the wrong doses.
  • FireWyrm
    Forumite
    Please don't mess around with paracetamol, having seen a child die from paracetamol poisoning it a really unpleasant death.

Just buy the cheapest generic paracetamol suspension

The wikipedia article you have linked from has the wrong doses.

There's always one. Paracetamol is perfectly ok for children if it is taken sensibly and carefully. The solution values are correct.

People dont die of paracetamol poisoning. They die of liver failure caused by excessive paracetamol use. In adults, that's in excess of a 20 tablets to produce such an effect. In childre, considerably less, but more than the quarter to a half tablet suggested here.

When you untwist your knickers, look it up in a reputable medical text.

[/COLOR]
  • telboyo
    telboyo Posts: 410
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I normally get the sugar free one. It's for my youngest who is 4! Wonder if he'd take paracetamol in something else? Might be worth a go?

When I was a kid i would be given half an adult painkiller in a spoon of jam to make it more palatable.
  • moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2012 at 3:07AM
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Milk which is 'past it's best' is just half way to yogurt or cottage cheese....Or bread pudding...yum.

Or scones yummy
    Firewyrm, thanks for the suggestions! Only problem is I didn't actually get to the supermarket at all so on the plus side spent nothing. On the down side I now have to add Calpol as my youngest is off colour and bottle is nearly empty!
    !

Not sure if it's the same all over the country but here in London we have a minor ailments scheme, basically if you need medication such as calpol, cough medicine etc. You can see the pharmacist who can help you fill in a form and you get the medicine in the same way as a prescription, ie free for children or for those on benefits. My daughter has 2 kids and has saved a fortune by using this scheme. EDIT found the link to find out if your local pharmacies offer the scheme, scroll down to the bottom http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pharmacy/Pages/Commonconditions.aspx Other alternative is to ring the surgery and ask for a prescription, HTH
  • maxheadroom
    maxheadroom Posts: 145
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2012 at 5:02AM
    Ok Ill bite

Yes paracetamol can be a perfectly safe drug.

I used the word poisoning as a more easily understood term, perhaps i should have used paracetamol toxicity refers to the whole syndrome of which liver failure is the most significant part but with your extensive knowledge you will also know that there is a some direct renal toxicity in overdose.

You with your extensive clinical experience obviously know that you can generally have two types of overdose. Acute and chronic. Acute being taking a whole box at a time and yes you can need a reasonable dose about 10g (20 standard 500mg tablets) to generally cause toxicity if you have a normal liver. The chronic overdose is in someways worse this is where a little extra is taken each day often by mistake (eg taking lemsip as well as paracetamol) Chronic overdose is the commonest in children due to errors with dosing them.

Right lets do some maths

A standard 500mg tablet
    so half is 250mg and a quarter is 125mg (assuming that you divide it exactly)

So if we use the dosing from the table you provided you are giving all the age ranges except the 6 plus an overdose with a quarter of a tablet

So having seen a child die first hand of the effects of paracetamol toxicity and seeing potentially dangerous advice given out I will get my knickers in a twist.
    Liver failure is a really unpleasant way to die, it leaves a really haunting picture for the relatives especially when their blood stops clotting and blood starts to ooze from every line site and the hope of waiting for a transplant but the reality that its probably not going to arrive.
  • Oh perfect thread for me too, Hope i can join in. I do have some needs for January to declare

4 suits for the children/hubby..but this might only be partial suits and just a jacket for dh as i have been given some just need to see if they fit!

Draw fixing things new runners and save a base..wardrobe completely broken to bits.

wants..new winter coat 7 years old and 4 pregnancys later its looking worse for wear however still ok for another winter or two.

Good luck all xx
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
  • FireWyrm
    Forumite
    Ok Ill bite

Yes paracetamol can be a perfectly safe drug.

I used the word poisoning as a more easily understood term, perhaps i should have used paracetamol toxicity refers to the whole syndrome of which liver failure is the most significant part but with your extensive knowledge you will also know that there is a some direct renal toxicity in overdose.

You with your extensive clinical experience obviously know that you can generally have two types of overdose. Acute and chronic. Acute being taking a whole box at a time and yes you can need a reasonable dose about 10g (20 standard 500mg tablets) to generally cause toxicity if you have a normal liver. The chronic overdose is in someways worse this is where a little extra is taken each day often by mistake (eg taking lemsip as well as paracetamol) Chronic overdose is the commonest in children due to errors with dosing them.

Right lets do some maths

A standard 500mg tablet
    so half is 250mg and a quarter is 125mg (assuming that you divide it exactly)

So if we use the dosing from the table you provided you are giving all the age ranges except the 6 plus an overdose with a quarter of a tablet

So having seen a child die first hand of the effects of paracetamol toxicity and seeing potentially dangerous advice given out I will get my knickers in a twist.
    Liver failure is a really unpleasant way to die, it leaves a really haunting picture for the relatives especially when their blood stops clotting and blood starts to ooze from every line site and the hope of waiting for a transplant but the reality that its probably not going to arrive.

Ok, I'll bite too. No-one says that dying of liver failure is a pleasant way to die, it isn't and thanks to stupid programs like Coronation Street the majority of people think that you can do a 'cry for hhelp' suicide attempt by swallowing a few paracetamol and all will be ok. You and I know different. You are absolutely right to highlight the dangers of an overdose.

However, the instructions on a Calpol bottle themselves advise a dosage of 4 times per DAY. A single quarter tablet in a teaspoon of honey onther than a commercial preparation will do the same job and is in effect less dose than the Calpol makers suggest. Especiallu if you can only buy 100mg tablets in blister packs of 16 thanks to those same twits as portrayed on TV. Additionally, Calpol contains at least one substance banned in Australia and France as well as others proven to have adverse effects in children. It is grossly overpriced thanks to the greed of the pharma companies and collective blindness of this society that have been brainwashed into believing that they are unable to understand medicine without their hands being held. Thus, you have glorified sales assistants in Boots who believe they have a right to enquire after your medical history before they will sell you that blister pack of 16 tablets for the same price you used to pay for 100.

I trust that the idiot parents who poisoned the child you refer to were prosecuted for murder since the Childs poisoning could not by definition have been an accident. No child will eat bitter paracetamol and mistake it for sweets. They will however drink Calpol given half a chance.

[/COLOR]
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Oh perfect thread for me too, Hope i can join in. I do have some needs for January to declare

4 suits for the children/hubby..but this might only be partial suits and just a jacket for dh as i have been given some just need to see if they fit!

Draw fixing things new runners and save a base..wardrobe completely broken to bits.

wants..new winter coat 7 years old and 4 pregnancys later its looking worse for wear however still ok for another winter or two.

Good luck all xx

Welcome aboard :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure