Looking for the silver lining

Comments

• I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this now as well. I agree she is either rather self centred or she has had an upset herself and has wrongly taken it out on you. I'm not surprised you feel hurt.

You are doing a grand job and I admire you very much Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Ouch that must have hurt. Maybe she's done you a favour. If she's not going to be supportive at least you know now.

Keep plodding on SA...and well done on the exercise.
    x x x
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Dumyat wrote: »
    Ouch that must have hurt. Maybe she's done you a favour. If she's not going to be supportive at least you know now.

Keep plodding on SA...and well done on the exercise.

Seconded.

Keep on going SA..you are doing wonderfully and you are wonderful

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Do you know I was thinking along the same lines Robin. I wondered if she'd had a fall out with her hubby. I know he went out with his mates last night. Unlike her I haven't got the luxury of burying my head in the sand. I wouldn't mind but the only "support" I got from her other than verbal was a lift home from the hospital twice a week. When Mr SA was discharged for that week we never saw hide nor hair of her. She knew he was desperate to go to a park he likes and take the dog.

Hmm; sounds like she won't be much loss. If that call was a result of nothing more serious than a marital spat, then you're well shot of her.

You are doing such a great job of budgeting; wouldn't it be a good idea to start a new pot, marked Driving Lessons? Save until you have enough for an intensive course (far easier, quicker and more cost effective for anyone beyond the first flush of youth ;)).
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,246 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks so much all of you

Mr SA fine tonight. Eating and drinking well. His brother was there tonight and can't believe what sister said. He said hers is the sort of support you don't need.

Robin I failed my driving test years ago and stupidly didn't re-take it. I would have passed the second time as it was pure nerves that failed me. I guess I need refresher course. DD passed after intensive course - but before she had chance to buy car unfortunately had a seizure and was subsequently banned from driving. She's on epilepsy medication now though and has been cleared to drive again. Now she can't afford a car!

To put the final boot into my not so good day - I bought myself a small bottle of Rioja (the one glass size) to enjoy tonight watching the X Factor. Dropped it! Big sigh!!! I do like a drop of good Rioja! Literally in this case!!!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Oh no to sil and dropped wine :( I vote you buy a full size bottle next time it sounds like a well deserved treat! Xxx
    MFW 2024 #17
    OP straight to mortgage - APRIL £307/ 206.88 (ytd £640) working towards owning 50%
    MOP savings account 1200 / 3000 to be paid later this year
    Mortgage balance 01/01/24 £99224.13 01/02 £98,833.7201/03 £98,928.18
    01/04 £97,646.20
    Baby EF done £1.5k.Working towards goal 2 £32.45/500
    Food Budget - JAN 484.44/500, FEB 488.59/500, MAR 439.33/500, APR 531.34/500
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    not very keen on SIL but like your BIL, its along journey you and Mr SA are on and you both need help. When my DF was ill earlier this year he just wanted my help and nobody elses help, he was a private person. I was completely exhausted and numb, I was pulled in all directions with my dad, family and friends. I quite often used to think, how come I am jumping from one drama to another whilst everybody else was just plodding along with their normal boring lives, that's all I wanted a normal boring life. Slowly I am getting a normal life still not quite boring yet but hopefully soon.

I feel for you SA and wish that soon you will have some sort of normal life. Mr SA will hopefully get the help he needs and deserves and you will get as much help as we can give you ,and loads of virtual hugs.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Mr SA fine tonight. Eating and drinking well.

:beer:
    Robin I failed my driving test years ago and stupidly didn't re-take it. I would have passed the second time as it was pure nerves that failed me. I guess I need refresher course.

You did say earlier that it's been years since you last had lessons, which is why I thought an intensive course would give you the best chance to recall what you learned then - whilst also tackling the more difficult conditions drivers have to cope with on today's much busier roads.

Don't think it's a great idea to rely on DD being the family driver, tbh. Adult kids have their own lives; no matter how considerate, they do have a tendency to vanish at key moments.. :o
    To put the final boot into my not so good day - I bought myself a small bottle of Rioja (the one glass size) to enjoy tonight watching the X Factor. Dropped it! Big sigh!!! I do like a drop of good Rioja! Literally in this case!!!

Ha - that proves it: watching X Factor must be bad for you! :cool:
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,246 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Got myself very upset I'm afraid and the crying gave me a blocked up nose! Quite angry with myself for letting it get to me so much. Still feel very down today. Feel very much on my own.

This might sound stroppy but I've decided to avoid SIL this week by going to the hospital early on the two days she visits so I'll have gone before she gets there. Won't be able to talk to her normally as if nothing has happened and I don't want her doing me the favour of a lift home - I can get the bus.

Do you know I thought I was doing alright until this happened - now it's made me look at things in a different light. Mr SA and I did everything together and didn't have any mutual friends we saw as a couple. When we met I had my set of friends and he had his. My friends nowadays tend to be people at work and old school/work friends who I keep in contact with but only see occasionally. And although the work friends are happy to listen to me and take me for a coffee/wine at lunchtime now and again, they're not my "after hours" friends. Everyone is busy getting on with their own lives, just like we were doing before this happened. When you work full time you don't have a lot of spare time on your hands. I was an only child so there are no siblings. I have cousins but none of them live in the same county. There is no one to knock on my door with a bottle of wine in their hand to cheer me up. And that's what I find so sad. So the moral of the tale is please don't neglect your friends.

Sorry about all the above I just needed to get it off my chest. Don't feel any better for it though! Guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I'm sure normal service will be resumed shortly!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,181 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Big huggles.
    If I was nearer I would come armed with wine.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure