Hip revision surgery = how long after is reasonable to claim benefit?

Hi!
I had two total hip replacements in 2008, but one did not work, so in Feb this year, they took out the problem replacement, left me in bed for 3 weeks, with only one hip and then put in yet another new hip! Brill work from them, but as I was in a wheel chair before they could do the 'revision' I went on higher limit disability. 7 months later, I am still not able to walk very far, but am worried that as I can walk even just a bit, I should not still be claiming...? Help!

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Realistically, how far can you walk? Do you still need to use the wheelchair for most of the time?

Does this still apply to you - "because of a physical disability, you are unable or virtually unable to walk without severe discomfort, or at risk of endangering your life or causing deterioration in your health by making the effort to walk"
  • nogginthenog
    nogginthenog Posts: 2,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 October 2010 at 7:16AM
    Angela68 wrote: »
    Hi!
    I had two total hip replacements in 2008, but one did not work, so in Feb this year, they took out the problem replacement, left me in bed for 3 weeks, with only one hip and then put in yet another new hip! Brill work from them, but as I was in a wheel chair before they could do the 'revision' I went on higher limit disability. 7 months later, I am still not able to walk very far, but am worried that as I can walk even just a bit, I should not still be claiming...? Help!

How far you can walk is not a issue in uk disability law
    Although the ATOS doctors always ask the question
    How far you can walk without being in pain, is the issue.
    Another issue is how far/long you can walk without feeling after
    effects several housr later.
    also nerve dammage causing pain may be a issue with total hip replacements.
    Did you have your operations laparoscopic or tradisional with the big scars.?
    Child of a Fighting Race.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello

Now the 2nd hip is sorted (the problem replacement), why can't you walk very far because once a hip is replaced you should be fine.

A bit nasty to be suggesting the OP is trying to stay n benefits unnecessarily. She seems to have posted here due to feelings of guilt about still claiming!

It can take a long time to recover fully from a hip replacement depending on a multitude of factors such as age, general health, bone health/density, weight etc.

I would imagine that having a faulty hip in for a bit caused some damage to the surrounding tissues which will take some time to heal. Also three weeks of inactivity in bed will lead to muscle loss and it can take a surprisingly long time to regain strength after a sustained period of bed rest.

Having both hips replaced is more serious than just one, and can affect mobility more. I knew someone who had both done and while he could walk as far as anyone else, he had to do so at a snail's pace otherwise he'd be in pain.
  • beth58_2
    beth58_2 Posts: 183 Forumite
    Hello

First off:

How old are you?

What has his/her age got to do with anything?

Now the 2nd hip is sorted (the problem replacement), why can't you walk very far because once a hip is replaced you should be fine.

Says who? Are you a surgeon or O.T?

My friend who is 90 years old got her hip done privately and they made a mess of it. The GP arranged to get it done again on the NHS and move it a few millimetres now it is fine and she is up and walking about with no problems.

Not everyone who has this surgery is as lucky as your friend. Sometimes, even with replacement a person can still have mobility problems and pain.

I'd advise if you still have mobility problems you could call DWP carers advice and support line or another disability organisation within your area which offers advice/information and support.
    Beth :)
  • nogginthenog
    nogginthenog Posts: 2,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »
    A bit nasty to be suggesting the OP is trying to stay n benefits unnecessarily. She seems to have posted here due to feelings of guilt about still claiming!

It can take a long time to recover fully from a hip replacement depending on a multitude of factors such as age, general health, bone health/density, weight etc.

I would imagine that having a faulty hip in for a bit caused some damage to the surrounding tissues which will take some time to heal. Also three weeks of inactivity in bed will lead to muscle loss and it can take a surprisingly long time to regain strength after a sustained period of bed rest.

Having both hips replaced is more serious than just one, and can affect mobility more. I knew someone who had both done and while he could walk as far as anyone else, he had to do so at a snail's pace otherwise he'd be in pain.

Great post and verry accurate,i should know
    Child of a Fighting Race.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family