Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• wayne77
    wayne77 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    Can I get an HD box from Sky without a subscription? Also can I cancel my Sports and ESPN package during the summer months,then renew when football restarts?
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ESPN is actually a rolling 30-day contract anyway so you can cancel and re-add that whenever you want. I think you can cancel Sky Sports during the summer as long as you're not in contract but I don't know if adding it again starts a new contract or not.
  • wayne77
    wayne77 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers Dragon, think I'll give them a call today.
  • INT1
    INT1 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Member of the family had sky. Someone told her about this website I tho an she called to cancel.

They didn't offer her anything and said will be cancelled in 30days

She's pyong circa £80 as as 3 multi rooms on the go.

Is it likely shell get a call from retentions team?
  • skyinsider
    skyinsider Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    INT1 wrote: »
    Member of the family had sky. Someone told her about this website I tho an she called to cancel.

They didn't offer her anything and said will be cancelled in 30days

She's pyong circa £80 as as 3 multi rooms on the go.

Is it likely shell get a call from retentions team?

It depends on her account and what she said. For example, if she has missed a couple of payments over the year, or she was insist ant that she waswas leaving for a specific reason she won't get anything. It also depends how the sales advisor processed her cancellation.
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
  • skyinsider
    Options
    wayne77 wrote: »
    Can I get an HD box from Sky without a subscription? Also can I cancel my Sports and ESPN package during the summer months,then renew when football restarts?

Yes, sky will sell you a hey sky+ hd box. I think the most without subscriptions is £199
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
  • buckfast67uk
    buckfast67uk Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Bingo.

5 minute phonecall to Sky reduced the cost of my tel. line rental, eve & weekend calls, unlimited broadband, HD subscription, Sky Sports & Sky movies from £86 to £64.75/month for the next nine months without adding a tie-in.

Said i was going to leave to go to BT vision which was £65 so they dropped there's to below it.
  • plumcloth
    plumcloth Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sharing my recent contact with VM ...

Have been with VM for over 12 years, current package is M BB (10Mb), XL Phone (anytime) and M TV (very basic), for which I pay £37.90 pm

Rang to say that Sky had offered their TV Entertainment Pack (£20 pm) with anytime BB and anytime Phone both free for 6 months, and subsequently offered free line rental for 12 months too

VM didn't offer me any more for my price, but offered XL TV, Tivo, keep my old box, 30Mb BB and XL Phone (unchanged) for £52.90 - sounds OK but it's £15 pm more

I asked about the process for leaving - the advisor said that it's a 30-day notice period, and that I could give that notice now if I wanted to - I said I'd consider

My BB is being doubled for free next month anyway

Do you think that giving notice to leave might've prompted a better offer ?

Thanks
  • skyinsider
    Options
    plumcloth wrote: »
    Sharing my recent contact with VM ...

Have been with VM for over 12 years, current package is M BB (10Mb), XL Phone (anytime) and M TV (very basic), for which I pay £37.90 pm

Rang to say that Sky had offered their TV Entertainment Pack (£20 pm) with anytime BB and anytime Phone both free for 6 months, and subsequently offered free line rental for 12 months too

VM didn't offer me any more for my price, but offered XL TV, Tivo, keep my old box, 30Mb BB and XL Phone (unchanged) for £52.90 - sounds OK but it's £15 pm more

I asked about the process for leaving - the advisor said that it's a 30-day notice period, and that I could give that notice now if I wanted to - I said I'd consider

My BB is being doubled for free next month anyway

Do you think that giving notice to leave might've prompted a better offer ?

Thanks

I have always thought of Virgin as a BB & Phone company with TV added on, and Sky as a TV company with BB & phone added on. Think about what you want and/or need and make your decision based on that.

If you want more TV I would suggest Sky. If you want cheaper, go with Sky. If you want more BB go with Virgin. Make your decision and go with it. If it means leaving Virgin - do it. If they come back with an offer, consider it. What i would say is go with what you know now and not what might happen.
  • plumcloth
    plumcloth Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    skyinsider wrote: »
    I have always thought of Virgin as a BB & Phone company with TV added on, and Sky as a TV company with BB & phone added on. Think about what you want and/or need and make your decision based on that.

If you want more TV I would suggest Sky. If you want cheaper, go with Sky. If you want more BB go with Virgin. Make your decision and go with it. If it means leaving Virgin - do it. If they come back with an offer, consider it. What i would say is go with what you know now and not what might happen.

SkyInsider - thanks for replying - that's pretty much where I am - BB is the top priority, TV the bottom - I'd really like Sky Arts 1 and 2 but I'm not paying £15 pm extra for them - and BB is doubling for free next month anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure