Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Comments

• bobbyo
    bobbyo Posts: 172
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    wayne77 wrote: »
    Hello, I currently have a Sky+ box with the entertainment extra package as well as Sky Sports and ESPN. I have been a Sky customer for years and would like to know if I can get an HD box without having to take out a ubscription to HD.?
    Your standard box could always "break" ???
  • bobbyo
    Forumite
    KTF wrote: »
    There will be some on Ebay. Not sure why you would want it though if you arent planning to get the HD pack as well...
    He could watch the Euros & Olympics in HD?
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    True, I just had a look and you can get some HD channels if you have Freesat from SKY but really not sure if you can watch it if you already have a subscription to the non-HD content.
  • bobbyo
    Forumite
    KTF wrote: »
    True, I just had a look and you can get some HD channels if you have Freesat from SKY but really not sure if you can watch it if you already have a subscription to the non-HD content.

BBCHD / ITVHD / C5HD are all available without HD sub if you have an HD box!
  • wayne77
    wayne77 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Yes, and I would also need HD box for Sky anytime+. As well as the free to air HD channels available, so that is why I ask if it's possible to get a Sky HD box without Subscription.
  • davecullen86
    davecullen86 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Just to add..

I called Sky this morning and my line was pretty much:
    I would like to know if I am still within my contract with Sky. They took mydetails and asked why and I said I was thinking of downgrading to freesat as weare getting married and need to cut costs to help with savings.

She went through the parts of sky and I pretty much said I don’t reallywatch anything other than the free channels and she then mentioned the +functionality. I played on this and said this is one thing I would miss butwould have to be a sacrifice to save money.
    She then said she could offer me 12 months line rental for £1 instead of£12.50, without entering in to a new contract! It’s worth my noting that I doalready have my phone, BB and TV with Sky so this is why she was able to addthe discount immediately.
    So, im happy, but did I get the best possible deal? I don't mind callingagain and blaming the future wife as to why I have decided to cancel again :-)Then see what they can offer me?

Thanks in advance - Dave

• andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    had a phone call from a bloke named David on monday who works on the CEO's team, his dealing with the problems i'm having, and has requested a engineer come out and replace the modem and get it activated today.
    LOL engineer cant fix the problem, my disconnection date of the 13June, it seems has already been and gone, according to their system i'm in the process of being disconnected or already disconnected. Which is why they cant activate the new modem which is in the GARDEN WALLED.
    they can not remove it form the firewall because i'm leaving them.
    Only way i can activate the modem, is to cancell the disconnection, get the modem activated and then give another 30days notice of cancellation.disconnection.
    now i'm going to be contacting David again and giving him an update.
    so much for the free upgrade to 20mb, which started with the modem being behind a firewall and unable to activate, being told 7 days when it can be done in 10minutes, and then lied to by other staff about engineer being sent out when they not even booked, only for me to ask to be disconnected and now being told that I have been, even though my disconnection date is 13 June but system has be down already, which is now the reason the modem cant be activated.
    PI** POOR SERVICE from Virgin MEDIA, so if retentions phone me up in the next 13 days and try to convince me to stay with a better deal,
    the offer had been be a never to offered again one,
    new customers can get upto 30mb, and free weekend calls for half price £12.50 a month, yet I'm paying £31 for 10mb and free calls daily. dont seem fair.
  • mainvein
    mainvein Posts: 16 Forumite
    i emailed neil birkett and lo and behold i got a call back within 2 hours offering me a better deal. I was on the bus to work and the phone kept cutting out so didnt have time to digest all the information, but firstly they offered me:

20mb broadband
    500gb tivo
    free install
    move my old box upstairs
    xl tv
    weekends phone for £52 a month!!!

i said that i wanted a superhub too as my NAS drive runs too slow on their existing router, so they chucked that in and put it up to 30mb too.

At first i thought i was onto a winner, they were really apologetic, but thinking about it they kind of tried to placate me with a much worse deal than the existing customer premiere collection.

They also told me that i now had a loyalty discount applied to my account too so that why it was lowered to £52 a month.

When i got to work i looked into it a bit more and i now have gone from feeling valued to feeling a bit shafted. If i wanted to i can upgrade to the 60mb bband (like the premiere collection) but i have to pay a fiver extra a month - bringing the total to the £58 a month - the SAME AS THE EXISTING CUSTOMER PREMIERE COLLECTION!! - So much for the want to keep your business call.

Also, in the small print on their site it says that existing customers upgrading (like i am with the internet) can phone up within 30 days of activation to get the installation charges and first month rental back! - That was never explained to me, feels like they were trying to get even more money than before the first operator did that caused me to complain.

I have sent them a detailed email asking for a full breakdown of what my loyalty discount entails as from what i can see it is just a big fat lie
  • mainvein
    mainvein Posts: 16 Forumite
    mainvein wrote: »
    i emailed neil birkett and lo and behold i got a call back within 2 hours offering me a better deal. I was on the bus to work and the phone kept cutting out so didnt have time to digest all the information, but firstly they offered me:

20mb broadband
    500gb tivo
    free install
    move my old box upstairs
    xl tv
    weekends phone for £52 a month!!!

i said that i wanted a superhub too as my NAS drive runs too slow on their existing router, so they chucked that in and put it up to 30mb too.

At first i thought i was onto a winner, they were really apologetic, but thinking about it they kind of tried to placate me with a much worse deal than the existing customer premiere collection.

They also told me that i now had a loyalty discount applied to my account too so that why it was lowered to £52 a month.

When i got to work i looked into it a bit more and i now have gone from feeling valued to feeling a bit shafted. If i wanted to i can upgrade to the 60mb bband (like the premiere collection) but i have to pay a fiver extra a month - bringing the total to the £58 a month - the SAME AS THE EXISTING CUSTOMER PREMIERE COLLECTION!! - So much for the want to keep your business call.

Also, in the small print on their site it says that existing customers upgrading (like i am with the internet) can phone up within 30 days of activation to get the installation charges and first month rental back! - That was never explained to me, feels like they were trying to get even more money than before the first operator did that caused me to complain.

I have sent them a detailed email asking for a full breakdown of what my loyalty discount entails as from what i can see it is just a big fat lie

update - loyalty discount is £7 per month apparently, my package is now £49.95 a month (even though they said £53 on the phone). according to them there is no loyalty discount on the collections they offer either - all sounds a bit cloudy to me really.

anyhoo, virgin is due to be installed again on tuesday, however a chat with sky have offered me a great deal so toying with going back to them, anyone here have sky broadband? is it any good? the internet is the only thing keeping me with virgin
  • skyinsider
    skyinsider Posts: 74 Forumite
    mainvein wrote: »
    update - loyalty discount is £7 per month apparently, my package is now £49.95 a month (even though they said £53 on the phone). according to them there is no loyalty discount on the collections they offer either - all sounds a bit cloudy to me really.

anyhoo, virgin is due to be installed again on tuesday, however a chat with sky have offered me a great deal so toying with going back to them, anyone here have sky broadband? is it any good? the internet is the only thing keeping me with virgin

Depends on the speed you can get really. That being said, for many people standard sky ADSL is faster than Virgin fiber due to there usage policies.

Anybody with broadband should call there supplier and ask about fair usage and speed management. An example of how it works is, say, you may pay for 30meg fiber on any network, but you may only get 9mbps for 90% of the day. Some networks really do throttle you down by 70% for up-to 90% of the day.

Anyway, like I say, it depends on the speeds in your area.
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure