City Financial Loan Brokers....SCAM or NOT ?

Comments

• KSocks
    KSocks Posts: 40 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2014 at 1:35PM
    Well, a few days back I gave £65 to these guys, quickly realised what I had done. They called me today asked me if I had had any luck with any loan. I said: Mate, you've scammed me out of my money, I want a refund. I will be sending you guys a letter demanding my money back.

Immediately the sales guy said: (And please excuse the bad language)

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

I really should go no further as it got quite sick really. They are scam artists and will do what they can to keep your money.

Also, can I call the police after what they've said to me? I feel like I have been robbed and now abused.
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Did no-one think of just googling these guys before giving them £65? c'mon people.

I'm not trying to be smug in anyway but it isn't difficult
    Space available for rent
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What i find hard to understand, is why you would need to pay money for someone to find you a loan ? Does it not ring any alarm bells at all when someone says "give me £65 and i'll TRY to find you a loan " ? It's like me standing in the queue at the bus stop and asking the bloke in front "what time is the next bus" and him saying "Give me £65 and i'll have a look at the timetable for you" ! You just wouldn't, would you ?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2014 at 1:35PM
    He'd probably charge you £65 for that too.

I'm surprised he called back after scamming £65 out of you. Perhaps the purpose of the call was to persuade you to part with more of your cash. After all, there's a payment release fee, bank transfer fee, etc...
  • Hello everyone..

Long post but Im sure it'll help!
    I have began an investigation into City Financial - and am in the process of starting a formal investigation into them alongside my bank (HSBC).
    I have a limited period to do so as I am keen not to breach their T&C's (of which the sent 2 of; one to my home address another to my email address).

I telephoned their customer care team - to no avail, then decided to let them know of my intensions of taking legal action against them.
    They then answered the phone the following time - a cow of a lady answered the telephone and said I was not entitled my money back.. Although in their T&C's.. within 14 days I AM!!
    Now, I have a legal background and have spent a good few hours reading through the T&C's alongside Anglo law.

These people operate under many names and through two telephone numbers and also an email address.
    The Email address: INVALID
    one of two numbers only gets answered VERY occasionally.
    and the worst part of all SO FAR - their address is not only not their address but after much research and tracking is a medical company.

These people are horrific people who stop at nothing for money!
    I shall be keeping everyone up to date on my investigation and if I find a way of getting money back shall be giving everyone the key to their money!

Please a warning to anyone who's in real desperation, go to your local council/financial charity/CAB for help.
    There is help out there, dont give in to the temptation of the internet..
    "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!"

Poor Princess x :wave: x
  • I have began an investigation into City Financial - and am in the process of starting a formal investigation into them alongside my bank (HSBC).
    I wish MSE had a 'read this first' link on every scam site on the internet. You are not unique, your 'formal investigation' will not elicit anything else but a refund of the initial 'sign on' fee which you actually agreed to in the first place!
  • KSocks wrote: »

Also, can I call the police after what they've said to me? I feel like I have been robbed and now abused.
    If you want to be a victim of their coffee break chat then go ahead. Seriously quit with the robbed and abused nonsense and just move on.
  • I stupidly paid City Financial Loans £65 6 weeks ago. The woman on the phone
    said it was definitely a real loan, I asked are you a broker, she said no. I said is this a scam,
    she said that they were a reputable company "otherwise we would have been shut down by now". She warned me
    that they've been hacked by some scammers from an Indian company who
    phone to say they have your loan and ask for your bank details. She said
    if anyone Indian phoned me I must not give out my details. For the next few days
    I was bombarded with calls from Indian call centres all saying they were phoning about my loan. They quoted my
    City Financial reference number with one digit wrong but had my name and knew the amount I wanted to borrow.
    They wanted my bank details to set up the payment of the loan but when I refused, saying I'm not
    giving out my info over the phone and asked them to post me a loan agreement. They got defensive then, "oh, do
    you don't want the loan then?" and hanging up. I rang City Financial and they said I'd done the right thing
    and not to speak to any Indian loan companies who phoned me as its a scam. The next day when another Indian
    call centre phoned me I told them this and got accused of being a racist! I rang City Financial again and they said "all the companies we deal with are English so that's how you'll know they're genuine. If the scammers ring again tell them
    your phone calls are being recorded by the police". So when the next call from an Indian call centre came I told them the police were involved. They hung up and that's the last I heard from any Indian loan companies.

However, those Indian companies are the only people who have contacted me regarding the City Financial Loan I was supposedly
    getting. I haven't had any genuine loan companies contacting me, even though City Financial
    told me that my loan was approved and I'd be contacted within 5 days. That was 6 weeks ago.
    I don't know if the Indian scam is part of City Financial or not. Perhaps they set it up deliberately to
    make City Financial appear reputable in comparison?
    I've been unable to get hold of City Financial to ask them when my loan is coming through. Phoning them
    I just get a recorded message saying someone will phone back but they never do.
    On their terms and conditions it says if they can't provide a loan within three months, clients can claim
    a refund of their original fee. So once it gets to 3 months I'm going to do that and I'll send copies of my letter
    to the Financial Ombudsman and every other official organisation I can think of.

The City Financial staff blatantly lie on the phone - it's obviously how they are trained. I don't
    know how they sleep at night doing that job, they must know that their employers are
    liars.
    DON'T FALL FOR IT LIKE I DID!
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2011 at 6:16PM
    Roll up,Roll up who's next for the great £65 con.How do they sleep at night - easy, they get paid to do a job that's it.

After the job they go home.I'm not saying it's right,I'm just saying it happens.

They have T&C's you agreed to then they took the money you said they could have and did what they said they would do, i.e. passed you onto lenders.

Everything else is mere detail.
    Space available for rent
  • well im the next to coned!! 1 hour ago i paid the fee of £55!!! i got home and read the reviews on here and i was shocked!! it seemed so real and convincing it was too good to be true!!! i called up and i was told it was tough i couldnt speak to the Dylan who i had been speaking with he was on the phone and the guy put the phone down! i called back and got the same guy and told him not to be rude as i had only asked to speak to the guy who i had been dealing with...he again out down the phone on me!! i called back and got a woman who said because i had already paid my fee i had to call customer services on the same number but instead of a 1 at the end i had tp put a 4!! i have been waiting for somebody to answer for the last 20 minutes!!!!!!

They really need to be stopped ASAP!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport