PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

on line shopping delivery question

I really need to start ordering my shopping on line (work commitments mean I struggle to go myself now).

I am sure how it works with putting the stuff away :o How long do the delivery drivers wait for you to do this or are you expected to take it all out quickly onto a table etc and put away from there? My table is a fair distance from the kitchen and I won't have room on my small kitchen worktops for everything. Do they hassle people to hurry up?

I was thinking of paying for bags (if you can?) as would be easier to take out quickly in the bags and carry to kitchen once the driver has left but this seems a waste and extra expensive as the bags won't get re-used. Also I have no control how many bags the shopper uses, they might not fill then up costing me more in bags than I would use myself?

How do others get their shopping put away from an on -line delivery?

Thanks

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    While I've never felt hassled to hurry up the delivery drivers are on a fairly tight turnaround so wont wait for you to unpack and put away. You can get bags for a flat fee (tesco is 40p) regardless of how many are used though I get mine without. My deliveries are brought through to my kitchen, thankfully I have space to unload it and the drivers are really good at helping me do this.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I really need to start ordering my shopping on line (work commitments mean I struggle to go myself now).

I am sure how it works with putting the stuff away :o How long do the delivery drivers wait for you to do this or are you expected to take it all out quickly onto a table etc and put away from there? My table is a fair distance from the kitchen and I won't have room on my small kitchen worktops for everything. Do they hassle people to hurry up?

I was thinking of paying for bags (if you can?) as would be easier to take out quickly in the bags and carry to kitchen once the driver has left but this seems a waste and extra expensive as the bags won't get re-used. Also I have no control how many bags the shopper uses, they might not fill then up costing me more in bags than I would use myself?

How do others get their shopping put away from an on -line delivery?

Thanks

I empty the crates on any available surface including the floor. You can get bags, with Asda it's a set 40p however many bags they use.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    caronc wrote: »
    thankfully I have space to unload it and the drivers are really good at helping me do this.

I have space on the dining room table but this would involve transporting to the kitchen a few items at a time which be a lot of toing and froing. I suppose I could put items into a bag from the table then take that to the kitchen, that would work.

It would be worth paying the 40p but it not just about the money its the waste of the bags.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I empty the crates on any available surface including the floor.

Thank you, good point I could use the floor, never thought of that. I think that is the answer.
  • As others have said, I get Mr T to deliver to my dad, they bring the crates through and I take the bags out to the sides and floor.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Most will take the bags back with the next delivery - you don't get your money back though!
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    I'm always aware that the drivers are paid a pittance and have delivery targets, I would not want to hold somebody up.
    I get bagged delivery from Ocado and they take the bags back & refund. When I had a Tescos delivery I had folding crates handy by the front door. I simply transferred from their crates to ours.
  • Do you have the big reuseable bags at home? Could you put your shopping from the crates into those to transport through to the kitchen? It would save the 40p per delivery and the extra waste.
    When I get a delivery the kids just take stuff through for me whilst I unload the crates. I have found stuff in sine really random places though!
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 October 2017 at 3:23PM
    Most of my Tesco delivery drivers bring the crates through to the kitchen, and I unload to all surfaces - worktop, cooker top, floor .... I have one driver though who seems adamant that he only delivers to the front door, and I really don't fancy an argument, so I make him wait while I carry the loose items by hand through to the kitchen, which naturally takes longer ;) I can't say I've ever felt hassled to speed up.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • I use Ocado - they give you money back for every carrier you hand them and will happily carry things into the kitchen for you (although I've got plenty of space by the front door, so usually only ask if there's something particularly heavy and Himself isn't about to deal with it for me).

We always reuse bags - it saves buying so many bin liners, for a start.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family