Plumbing Quote

HI

We are having some plastering done in our living room/dining room so the radiators need to be taken off and put back after.
The radiators are pretty old and the one in the dining room has already been replaced for a more modern/efficient one so I thought it would be a good time to replace the other one too. The plumber says it can be replaced with a smaller one than is there now, so I'm not sure of the size, but its a very big double radiator that's there now (about 7feet long :eek: and a couple of feet deep :eek:)
Also our boiler is (over)due a service.

Remove radiators before plastering
Replace dining radiator after, and supply and fit a new radiator in the living room.
Service the boiler

Quote £468

We are in the west midlands

I just don't want to get ripped off! Any thoughts if this is about right?
Thanks to all posters for your never ending help and support
:beer:

Comments

• reg091
    reg091 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If it helps, my annual boiler service is £100. (High Wycombe).
  • HI

We are having some plastering done in our living room/dining room so the radiators need to be taken off and put back after.
    The radiators are pretty old and the one in the dining room has already been replaced for a more modern/efficient one so I thought it would be a good time to replace the other one too. The plumber says it can be replaced with a smaller one than is there now, so I'm not sure of the size, but its a very big double radiator that's there now (about 7feet long :eek: and a couple of feet deep :eek:)
    Also our boiler is (over)due a service.

Remove radiators before plastering
    Replace dining radiator after, and supply and fit a new radiator in the living room.
    Service the boiler

Quote £468

We are in the west midlands

I just don't want to get ripped off! Any thoughts if this is about right?

"Replace dining radiator after, and supply and fit a new radiator in the living room."

a radiator can cost from £30 to £1000.

without knowing what he intends to supply no one can know if its cheap or expensive.
  • if the new rad is a fairly big double then it's about right.

A boiler service in the midlands should be around £65 dependant on appliance
  • LUHG1878
    LUHG1878 Posts: 108 Forumite
    As martinsurrey says, it's hard to say without more detail.

It won't just be a new rad, I assume the valves will be replaced as well?

If the plumber is suggesting a smaller rad, will he need to do much in the way of new pipework, lifting floor boards etc?

Sounds like the plumber will also be making two trips, one to remove the rads, and another to fit the new one and carry out the service. Could you remove the rads yourself and save him a journey?

I pay £50 for a service on my boiler, but the £65 thegasmon quoted for your area doesn't seem unreasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure