Ready to do it all over again ...

Comments

• benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Thanks Tallgirl and Pooky, I think I will go ahead with the credit card offer, I just need to be disciplined with using it. I am still needing to buy some chairs for the conservatory and my bedside tables, so they will go on there (money is already in my savings account to pay for them).

Today I have painted the downstairs toilet, it was white but needed freshening up, there were lots of dirty marks on the walls etc, I've painted it white again but at least it looks clean and fresh. Tomorrow I need to gloss the door-frame but other than that it's done. I might do the hall tomorrow too, my hall is tiny, not much bigger than the downstairs toilet, and again it's all white so shouldn't take very long.

I have also cashed out £20 from a survey site, so that's another little bit into the savings pot :) I'm wondering now whether I ought to focus on clearing my brothers loan before I overpay on the mortgage. He's happy for me to pay back the amount borrowed without any interest, so I ought to clear that first. I reckon if I can save £25k I can use £5k from my safety savings. I am already saving £350 a month, I reckon if I can aim to add at least £150 to that I can aim for at least £500 a month, which would take 50 months to get to £25k. I've already got £1050 (3 x £350 monthly savings) and £265 (was mortgage overpayments), & £20 just cashed out :), so that's £1335 / £25,000. This means I need £23,665, which @ £500 a month = 47 months ish, so just under 4 years from now it will be gone and then I can totally focus on hitting the mortgage.

I know my plans keep changing, but this way I feel better - my brother was incredibly kind and generous to lend me the money, especially without wanting interest on it, so I need to pay this back as a priority.

So, once again a new plan but ultimately the saving every penny bit hasn't changed ;)
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • benbenandme
    £5 withdrawn from quidco too :beer:
  • benbenandme
    and £3 reward from my Halifax account :money:
  • benbenandme
    Morning all, I'm having a very productive morning so far - I have made my bed and tidied my room, just need to dust and hoover in there later. I've stripped ds bed and tidied his room, again it needs dusting and hoovering later. The bathroom has been cleaned and all the towels are in the washing machine now.

I've completed my tax credit renewal online, I've emptied and refilled the dishwasher, put the rubbish out, rehomed everything from the lounge and conservatory that don't live there, cleared the surveys from my inbox and now it's cup of tea time :D

Hopefully the rest of the day will continue being productive, although the first hour or so of my day is always the best.

I want to paint the hall today, and do the door-frame for the downstairs toilet. I also want to finish the bits from the list I wrote the other day (see below). I'm meeting a friend for a bbq tonight which should be nice, weather permitting ;) I will need to pop out to get some bits to take with me for that too. I started my tesco online order last night, I need to finish that off today too.
    Clean out the car
    Fill windscreen wash in the car
    Pay friend back for yesterday
    Replant fuchsias
    Wash back door curtains
    [STRIKE]Move some plants to the front of the house[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]Pay in money at the bank[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]Move money into savings[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]Change ds bedding[/STRIKE] DONE
    Find addresses for ds work experience
    [STRIKE]Submit meter readings[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]Tax credits renewal form[/STRIKE] DONE
    Put up new washing line
  • benbenandme
    Time to chill - I've done 4 loads of washing, the final lot has just gone on the line, the rest has dried already :T although that does mean my ironing pile has grown again :cool:

I've also painted the hall and glossed the woodwork in the hall and the downstairs toilet. It looks so much better, the gloss was really yellowy, you don't notice how much until you paint it white again :D It only cost me a couple of quid for the sugar soap and a dust sheet, I already had the white paint and there was a big tin of gloss paint left in the garage when I moved in, the old owner told me she'd bought it to paint before putting the house up for sale but hadn't got around to doing it. It has given me the motivation to decorate in the summer holidays, I do need to buy some decent brushes though. Mr S was a painter / decorator and he had fabulous Purdey brushes, they were expensive but did a great job.

I've also washed the back door curtains, finished the Tesco order and filled up the washer water in the car. A few bits are left on the to do list but I might leave them for tomorrow ;) I'm going to have a lazy hour or two on the sofa then I need to make the fruit kebabs to take to the bbq tonight.
  • benbenandme
    Back from the bbq - I don't really know how to feel. It was one of my uni friends, I've known her now for nearly 25 years. She has lung cancer that has spread to her liver and bones. She is in a relatively good place at the moment, the last couple of times I have seen her she hasn't been up to leaving the house and barely even got out of bed. This time she has managed a weekend away, although we cut the bbq short as the cold air on her chest was meaning she was struggling to breathe :( It's just so wrong. She has worked for the last 20 years for a cancer charity, she is such a positive inspirational person, it's frightening to see her so ill. She's aiming to walk the 5k race for life later this month. She doesn't know if she will be able to complete it, in fact it is unlikely that she will, but she wants to take part. Life can be so bloody cruel :(
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh Ben, :(

I learnt at the age of ten when my friend died of leukaemia, which he had been battling for half of his life, that life is cruel and unfair.

I feel anything I say would be inadequate so I will just say how sorry I am for you and your friend and the affected loved ones.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • benbenandme
    I was awake early so have been for a potter round a local car boot sale. I bought a chive plant (£1) a desk tidy for work (50p) and a White Stuff cornflower blue cardigan for £2. I haven't decided yet whether to keep it or sell it on ebay as it should go for £5-£10 hopefully.

So it's a nice sunny morning here despite the weatherman saying it would rain all day today. Today I need to complete my list, do the ironing and generally get ready to go back to work tomorrow. Ds is due home early afternoon which will be nice, Tesco shopping is due between 2-3pm.

I made £6 on a bet on the Champions League final last night too which will be added to the pot :D
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Have a great day! :D
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • benbenandme
    Half way through the week and all is going fine so far. I emailed Tesco as I was overcharged for two things at the weekend and they have refunded the money already. I also called the csa as no money has arrived this month - for some reason they didn't have a payment from my ex but they called him and he has made the payment over the phone so I should receive that in a couple of days hopefully.

Hoping the weather picks up again soon, it's been freezing the last couple of days. Nothing much else to add at the moment, let's see what today brings :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family