Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Comments

• I read the free cavity wall and loft insulation piece in the latest email and the bit about eligibility for British Gas to fit insulation has baffled me.
    If you live in a block of flats, the whole block needs to do the insulation. If you've existing loft insulation, it'll need to be less than 60mm thick and cover less than a third of the loft to qualify for this deal.

Does anyone know if the bit in bold only applies to flats and/or has anyone ever had success with British Gas if you've had thin/patchy insulation covering 90%+ of the loft?
  • haz25a
    haz25a Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    peterth125 wrote: »
    Hi I have just had a Vaillant pro 28 boiler fitted and they have put the new gas supply outside.They have also fitted a condensate waste pipe down the wall which looks rather unsightly.
    It comes from the back of the boiler through the wall and then runs diagonally across the gable a length of about 8ft.
    Are all systems fitted with one of these condensate waste pipes and if so are they run inside or outside?
    Thankyou

Peter

Hi,

I had major problems when British Gas fitted my boiler to the rainwater pipe outside (see earlier posts).

Check your manual/installation guide to see what the manufacturer's recommended method of installation is. 8ft seems awfully long to me???

Also, GasSafe Register (formally CORGI) may come out and inspect your installation if you feel it has been installed incorrectly.

The companies that install boilers under this scheme use the quickest, cheapest method of installation and not necessarily the recommended method.

Regards.:)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, all condensing boilers require a condensate pipe, however it does not have to be run externally. Either way, it needs adequate fall on it, hence the diagonal run.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • I privately rent and qualify for a free boiler - so I applied to British Gas who sent out an assessor - he agreed my boiler was borderline condem-able and told me it would be replaced withn about 6 weeks. That was in November. I rang British gas who explained they dont have any engineers now or in the foreseeable future and that was that.
    what can I do???
  • E-on told me less than 15 minutes ago that one of the criteria was a broken boiler ... So i would try them again ...
  • If you privately rent isn't this (a working boiler/heating system) a requirement of your tenancy?? ...
  • My neighbors exactly the same ... I personally thought external gas pipes were a safety issue ... Thats the way its done though!! ...
  • its a mine field all this "FREE" stuff ... am in receipt of e.s.a. after an industrial accident but not a second benefit so not sure if will get any help at all!! ...
  • My boiler wasn't broken and they installed a new one - and the new gas supply pipe rounds round (& is fixed to) the outside of my house.
  • its a mine field all this "FREE" stuff ... am in receipt of e.s.a. after an industrial accident but not a second benefit so not sure if will get any help at all!! ...

For affordable warmth the eligibility can be seen here so if you've just got esa and nothing else you wouldn't qualify for affordable warmth.

But you could still qualify for CERO and CSCO which would give you insulation.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure