A Warning - CapQuest Debt Recovery!

dealornodeal_3
dealornodeal_3 Posts: 603 Forumite
edited 3 August 2017 at 4:25PM in Debt-free wannabe
Official MoneySavingExpert Insert August 2017:

If you're looking for debt help take a look at our Debt Help guide.

---

A warning to you all.

My Son has received 2 Debts in the past month from CapQuest, one for £203.51p and one today for £185.91p. Both of these letters went to our old address, and he had been left home for 7 years! Yes he had fallen on bad times and repaid all his debts, and he told me he had repaid everything. He had phoned up to ask what the Debt was for with the first threat, and they couldnt tell him. The Woman got quite nasty with him.

So I went on their Website, and I know this is a Scam. On the second thread of Google, is Grumbletext. Have a read of that. A lot of people have paid debts up they do not owe, others have been told the same - they cannot explain the debts, and majority go back 6/7 years!

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Typical CRAPQUEST tactics - if no written contact, or payment made for 6 years, then the 'debt' is covered under the statute barred legislation. Unfortunately, the majority of people are unaware of this legislation, and DCA's, like CAPQUEST try to collect.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • AGB863
    AGB863 Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    as the previous poster said - it is "statute barred" and there is no legal avenue for the collector to go down - but it does not stop them from trying to collect the money.

Cap Quest will make a lot of noises and "threats" but that is all they can do

Here is the relevent section from the Debt Collection Guidance as set down by the Office of Fair Traiding - advice Cap Quest to read this section

Statute barred debt

2.13 This guidance applies to the pursuit of debt regardless of its age. We will be
    carrying out further work on this aspect of debt recovery including analysis of
    relevant legislation and practice throughout the UK.

2.14 In the past we have dealt with a number of statute barred debt cases governed by
    the Limitation Act 1980, which applies to England and Wales. Based on that
    experience our position with regard to England and Wales remains:

a. we accept legally the debt exists

b. it is the methods by which the debt is collected that can be
    unfair as follows:

it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from
    the creditor during the relevant limitation period

• if a creditor has been in regular contact with a debtor before the debt
    is statute barred, then we do not consider it unfair to continue to
    attempt to recover the debt

it is unfair to mislead debtors as to their rights and obligations, for
    example, falsely stating or implying that the debt is still legally
    recoverable and relying on consumers not knowing the relevant legal
    provisions
    , and

continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they
    will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to
    harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of
    Justice Act 1970.

Hope this helps
    I am a debt counsellor working in the voluntary sector - we don't charge our clients for the work we do!
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Horrid people (mostly). I had a message to ring them yesterday, and did so because I know my payments are up to date. Spoke to the rudest man in the world, who wrongly told me I was in default, was paying on the wrong date, etc etc... I asked him if he had to pass special exams in pig ignorance and bad manners to get his job, then hung up. Rang afain, and spoke to a lovely lovely lady, who put it all right and even apologised, and said the man had been wrong.

I told her it was nice to be in touch with someone polite at Capquest for a change, and she said "oh, the odd one of us is!"
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • Yes, Ive just been on the phone to them, and gave them an ear bashing! I stated facts and they argued. I told him straight my Son has paid up all his debts, they are expecting their first child; and that I will see them in court. And advised them to leave him alone. I then put the phone down!
  • Just as a matter of Interest. I have been discussing this with a friend of mine. I stated earlier that my son has been left home for 7 years. My friend said well you move in June 2006, and sold your house in Dec. Question would that have any bearing on CapQuest trying to make some extra money. Any ideas appreciated?
  • Storm
    Storm Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes, Ive just been on the phone to them, and gave them an ear bashing! I stated facts and they argued. I told him straight my Son has paid up all his debts, they are expecting their first child; and that I will see them in court. And advised them to leave him alone. I then put the phone down!

Ooo - they shouldn't have discussed your son's situation with you - your son could threaten them with court under the data protection act!

If they get in touch again I would mention this - and make sure you note down the date & time of conversations, and if possible the name of the person you speak to!
    Total Debt 13th Sept 2006 (exc student loan): £6240.06 :eek:
    O/D 1 [strike]£1250 [/strike]O/D 2 [strike]£100[/strike] Next a/c [strike]£313.55[/strike]@ 26.49% Mum [strike]£130[/strike] HSBC [strike]£4446.51[/strike]@15.75%[STRIKE]M&S £580.15@ 4.9%[/STRIKE]
    Total Debt 30th April 2008: £0 100% paid off!

PROUD TO [STRIKE]BE DEALING [/STRIKE] HAVE DEALT WITH MY DEBT ;)
  • Storm wrote:
    Ooo - they shouldn't have discussed your son's situation with you - your son could threaten them with court under the data protection act!

If they get in touch again I would mention this - and make sure you note down the date & time of conversations, and if possible the name of the person you speak to!

No Storm I phoned them up, and started arguing with them!
  • Right everyone. I have just received in the post, my sons letter from CrapQuest a bill for £185.91p; which they purchased from another company. It doesnt say on there what Items were purchased, nor what date the said item(s) were purchased! So in fact I would say that its an illegal demand for money! I could start up a company and say to you all on here that you all owe me £200.00p. What would you all say to me - Go and get st....d I would imagine!

So it will be interesting to see when/ If a Solicitors letter appears at my old Address/ or to my Sons New Address where he has been residing for some years. And although I know he has paid all his debts years ago. I know that debts are not recoverable after 6 years!

Your views on CapQuest. In your opinion are they a Cowboy Unit, just trying to make money through fear? Is what they are doing legal?
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Your views on CapQuest. In your opinion are they a Cowboy Unit, just trying to make money through fear?

In a nutshell - YES. :mad:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • jetbags
    jetbags Posts: 15 Forumite
    Right everyone. I have just received in the post, my sons letter from CrapQuest a bill for £185.91p; which they purchased from another company. It doesnt say on there what Items were purchased, nor what date the said item(s) were purchased! So in fact I would say that its an illegal demand for money! I could start up a company and say to you all on here that you all owe me £200.00p. What would you all say to me - Go and get st....d I would imagine!

So it will be interesting to see when/ If a Solicitors letter appears at my old Address/ or to my Sons New Address where he has been residing for some years. And although I know he has paid all his debts years ago. I know that debts are not recoverable after 6 years!

Your views on CapQuest. In your opinion are they a Cowboy Unit, just trying to make money through fear? Is what they are doing legal?

As a previous thread hinted at.... put capquest into your google search bar and then select grumbletext from the results. Enter capquest in the search bar and sit back for 3 weeks and read through.
    You simply will not believe what this company is capable of.... or more importantly... how strong we the consumers are when it comes to fighting back.
    Criminal proceedings are apparently already in place against these jokers, obtaining money with menaces and hundreds of complaints to the Oft and Trading standards with regard harassment are only the beginning.
    There is strength in numbers, so its up to all of us to contribute and get these people out of the industry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure