Using a Credit card to pay deposit or in part for Flights / Hotels Query

Options
nobile
nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
edited 24 September 2017 at 6:34PM in Credit cards
Hi

I am about to book flights & hotel with an ATOL protected Travel Agent for 7 people (all family). Not a package holiday - just flights & hotels

The final cost is a few thousand pounds & I paid £100 Deposit to secure the flights etc a few days ago using my AMEX Card (hit with 3% fee)

If I pay the remaining balance via my bank, (to avoid the 2% or 3% fees), do I still get any legal protection normally associated with Credit Cards if something goes wrong (eg Travel Agent goes bust or Problem with Airline (non UK) or issues with hotel bookings etc etc

Or is there a certain proportion I have to pay using Credit Card to be covered in the event of any of the above?

I tried to read up on it but it all goes right over my head - I'm Not a big traveller so not had to think about these things before.

Thanks!! :beer:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Any amount gives you section 75 protection.
  • nobile
    nobile Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    Any amount gives you section 75 protection.

Really? Wow...that's great news!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    But that section 75 protection probably only applies if the travel agent breaches the contract - not if the airline or hotel breach the contract.

The Financial Ombudsman says:
    Where customers use a credit card to buy airline or other travel tickets from a travel agent, they cannot normally claim against the travel agent if the airline delays or cancels the flight. This is because the travel agent contracted to supply the ticket, not the flight. So the customer would not have a claim under section 75 either.

Link: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/31/creditcards-31.htm
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nobile wrote: »
    Really? Wow...that's great news!

Yes, in many news it's a little unfair on the bank or card provider but they generally aren't high on the list of sympathy for most people.

Don't forget that section 75 isn't a get out of jail free card, it's restricted to failure to supply and misrepresentation.

The use of an agent may also break the liability with the end supplier so make sure you get comprehensive travel insurance as well.

Edit - it also only applies to the cardholder, so if something does go wrong it may be a stretch to cover seven people for whatever may have gone wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure