The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,512
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Excellent day today lots done as no hangovers lol. First joined golf club which was £1012 each for 13 months but it allows us to play six other courses one which is near my house on the South Coast so happy days and I like that course too. Hit some balls on the range and also practised then came home, quick chill then gym for 30 min class. Home for lunch then off for playing on the main course but we only managed 8 quite tired by that time. I'm very excited about being a member again I'll get my handicap and start playing in competitions again. Can't wait Also meet new people of course. DG will need a bit more time before she can get handicap but her new clubs are great she's hitting it much further and today was day one with them I'm so proud of her. (She for clubs second hand on EBay.).

Really tired now hot chocolate and then bed for me playing again tomorrow afternoon.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Hello Tall Girl. I have been away and now back after a lot of life turmoil.

Sorry to hear that your life has been just as traumatic and I am sorry to hear about the passing of family members. Lost my brother whilst away so I know it can be a bit difficult.

However, there have been some good times had as well by you. Not sure the loss of the cats is good, but I know you will have done the best for them.

Will keep reading your diary and wishing all good things for you going forward.

Tx
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    Hi Tahlullah thanks for popping in saw you were back nice to see your old diary resurrected. Sorry you lost your brother really not nice hope you have other family left so you can get through it together. I will miss my uncle he's been part of all my life but he was in a home and had issues however happy and content but had he recovered from this lung issue it would have meant lots of rehab no possibly no quality of life.

Yes I miss my cats lots think about them but I know they are in safe hands and I can visit as often as I can. They are much loved and perfectly safe from harm whereas with me they would have had to be indoor cats and even so I would have worried about them getting out.

Had a lovely bank holiday don't want it to end lots of golf only eight holes each day but building up to it. DG is getting so much better and with the membership I will improve too as I'll be playing with the ladies once I get my handicap back.

Tomorrow I must do my open uni course one week behind but then it's done. Need to do the professional qualification and apply for some jobs. Seen a job back in CAB thinking about it it's good pay and sounds just like what I can do. Swore I wouldn't go back into cab but seriously thinking about it. Will email contact and see what she thinks of that particular cab they look good on paper.

Anyway enough for now think I'll sleep well tonight.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2017 at 3:00PM
    New list needed as lots to do today

Treat jobs
    Open Uni start week six a week behind but last one watched one video want to do the other 4 so two hours to do plus rest of weeks course
    Pot up some courgette seeds done
    Speak to Pro and arrange lessons for DG as her birthday present. Done and boooked
    Take DGs prescription indone

Boring jobs
    Re do CV in new smarter format
    Continue to work through GGMA
    Print out stuff for job at CAB start planning competencies done got intelligence to suggest they recruit for that post every two years CEO might be difficult to work with.
    Email about selling golf clubs done waiting for offer
    Email contact about volunteering and job - done
    Cook pork dish buy onions first done but without onions forgot to buy

To do list looking good but cannot be asked to do more today. Getting lazy having time off I know. Looked at suggested volunteering opportunities but all very basic and require full training. I've done the training but two years ago so emailed back my contact asking if I can be considered. We shall see.

Gym tonight at 6pm also need to complete pork dish which is in slow cooker right now. One more housemate paid up for broadband so DG will only be £5 out of pocket if the rest pays up but we do now own a super booster for wifi.

Hopefully more productive day tomorrow.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    edited 3 May 2017 at 10:33AM
    Morning focus needed today so new to do list looking at jobs and getting more and more confused on what direction I wish to take.

I seems to scatter myself each day and obviously not hear back from anyone. Well new focus today hopefully. Updated my linked in profile I know a lot of people who knows if I get anything through there.

Boring jobs
    Re do CV in new smarter format
    Continue to work through GGMA
    List rain jacket on EBay
    Apply for CAB job

Fun jobs
    Complete my Open Uni course

Got GP appointment for insoles at 12 let's hope they grant it. Also golf club buyer coming Friday he will give me a couple of hundred for the left handed clubs I know they could fetch more on Enay but there's too many and they are not complete.

Pictures tonight two for one Beauty and the Beast should be nice no gym also need to get birthday card for DG but could wait until I'm going to the shops anyway.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    TallGirl wrote: »

Pictures tonight two for one Beauty and the Beast should be nice no gym also need to get birthday card for DG but could wait until I'm going to the shops anyway.

If you open a Club Lloyds current account you get 6 free cinema tickets a year. You need a couple of dds I think and need to fund it each month. It also pays 2% interest up to £5k I think. We've got 3 between us so we get 18 cinema tickets every year . We don't go to the cinema so we give them to the children, we opened it for the interest when it was 4%.
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    Thanks re the Lloyds account very useful need to think about that one.

Been quite productive got the referral I needed from GP but spilled superglue on my red trousers and now they are ruined. Tried acetone but bent the mark so it cracked and ripped the fabric. Don't think they can be saved shame as newish Long Tall Sally ones.
    Boring jobs
    Re do CV in new smarter format done looks great much neater and shorter
    Continue to work through GGMA not done but got handbook so no excuses now
    List rain jacket on EBay
    Apply for CAB job started long competency based one

Fun jobs
    Complete my Open Uni course two videos down three to go.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Not very productive so far didn't make 10am gym didn't sleep too well late night. Got back from pictures to a whatapp exchange between two house mates. One runs his self employed business out of the large dinning room and the other couple have now made a sitting area behind where he's set up. It's quite a way away and they got there long before he set up just never used it. He was basically saying he needed peace and quiet for his business and it wasn't acceptable he had to take phone calls in his room. He is really loud on the phone and he works all hours particularly between six and eleven pm. Upshot was he ended up packing his office down after demanding the rest of us shared the communical space. What an idiot most stupid thing is he's moving at he end of the month and last night one person was behind him reading a book. Phew at least he's given notice which means we can get the room very soon.

I need to do gym today poss not a class just a work out myself then get a card and wrapping paper for DG but so far waiting for her present to turn up. Beauty and the Beast was really good booked to see guardians of the galaxy in 4DX even get discount with meercats two for one. It's on her birthday and she really wants to do it I'm not fussed. Look ok.

Seen another job one step up from the one I was thinking about. It's a large organisation and looks Lille it could be the one. Long competency based application so need to look at that and the CAB one today.

First mooch around diaries here.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    edited 8 May 2017 at 7:23AM
    Sold my ex DHs golf clubs sat around for too long and needed to go £200 in my pocket which is fine not much of a market for left handed clubs.

Redeems £86 in amazon vouchers from quidco and added to account which is nice

Not done a lot else need to have some lunch and do some job application didn't do any yesterday really lazy. Really must get on with open uni course as well.

Planned my trip to cornwall and Devon staying with three different friends five nights so will be great. Quite looking forward to it and there's a round of golf as well. Three of them are people I met in my travelling job with work so might be useful for connections or ideas for jobs for me.

Also swapped our golf bags over to the bigger ones just about fits in the car and much nicer to use bigger and fit on the trolleys.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Nice weekend played golf when DG came back from work Friday so cold it was really freezing. Didn't do much Saturday kind of went to the gym and did a bit of batch cooking.

Golf yesterday after meeting the ladies and I've got a game set up for Wednesday to mark my first card for my official handicap. I will need three so it's a good start.

Currently sat with my foot in hot water as smashed a glass Friday and this morning got a splinter from said glass so annoying.

Today I must apply for the two jobs that closes next week and also complete my open uni course and get on with my professional qualification.

I think that is about it DGs birthday tomorrow she almost ordered a rain jacket and booked some lessons but didn't so her present will still be welcomed by her I know that,
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure