Cancelled sky - what are my options?

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Post #7 above.

Now Tv?

I've realised what I watch on sky are game of thrones & Jamestown.

I can't get Virgin - I checked, so that's not an option.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What no one has pointed out yet is that the Sky Q system uses a different (incompatible for anything but Sky Q) LNB on the end of the dish. They would have to change it for either a hybrid (allowing the use of either or both) or a straight HD+ LNB. How difficult that is would depend on the location of the dish.

As @Inner Zone said above I suspect they got a 1TB box and the daughter got the 2TB one. They come with different remotes.

I have to ask the OP (@Kim kim) why, if none of the Sky channels are needed, they went to the expense of getting a Q system in the first place to only then turn their nose up at £20?
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Now Tv?

I can't get Virgin - I checked, so that's not an option.

Don't understand the relevance of Virgin avalability to Now TV?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2017 at 2:08PM
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4369046

So I could buy this. Unplug the sky q box & plug this in instead & away I go?

Anyway to find out what channels I'll get?

I must have 1-5 & qvc :D, I suspose I'll loose sky Atlantic & game of thrones:(

If you just pull the viewing card, you'll see exactly which channels you will get without a subscription. But to retain the recording/PVR features, you will need a Freesat PVR-the PVR functions will be disabled once your sub ends. Live without PVR features, and you can get all you need for no outlay at all.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What no one has pointed out yet is that the Sky Q system uses a different (incompatible for anything but Sky Q) LNB on the end of the dish. They would have to change it for either a hybrid (allowing the use of either or both) or a straight HD+ LNB. How difficult that is would depend on the location of the dish.
    Yes, the Sky Q decoder will also be collected by Sky when the cancellation takes effect, so even Free-To-Air channels will no longer be viewable.

However, that also means the OP is not limited to a Freesat solution. The dish needs to be converted as you point out, so a roof aerial (and Freeview) may be a more convenient option.

As others have suggested, there is also the option of NowTV for subscription channels like Sky Atlantic.

I can't get Virgin .

Even if you could get Virgin services, Sky Atlantic is not available from them...
  • Kim_kim

As @Inner Zone said above I suspect they got a 1TB box and the daughter got the 2TB one. They come with different remotes.

I have to ask the OP (@Kim kim) why, if none of the Sky channels are needed, they went to the expense of getting a Q system in the first place to only then turn their nose up at £20?
    Oh god!
    I don't know what tb size they have - they don't.
    I wanted to be able to pause it watch it upstairs.
  • Kim_kim
    macman wrote: »
    If you just pull the viewing card, you'll see exactly which channels you will get without a subscription. But to retain the recording/PVR features, you will need a Freesat PVR-the PVR functions will be disabled once your sub ends. Live without PVR features, and you can get all you need for no outlay at all.

I want the record, pause, rewind.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh god!
    I don't know what tb size they have - they don't.
    I wanted to be able to pause it watch it upstairs.
    I want the record, pause, rewind.

Then if you still have the equipment and haven't sent it back yet then I'd give Sky a call and tell them you've changed your mind.
  • Kim_kim
    Then if you still have the equipment and haven't sent it back yet then I'd give Sky a call and tell them you've changed your mind.

Yes I do.
    But I think a freesat box might pay for itself in a few months.

My dish isn't in an arkward place, it's above my front porch.

Should I get the dish sorted for the other lnb or get the Ariel re wired?

Is there any difference between a freesat & a freeariel box?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Should I get the dish sorted for the other lnb or get the Ariel re wired?
    That's entirely up to you. Cost is likely to be the same for both.
    Is there any difference between a freesat & a freeariel box?

Apart from a few exclusive channels (on both platforms), they are identical. It's Freeview, not Freeaerial, by the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure