PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Comments

• dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2016 at 8:19PM
    As much as I hate defending a developer, the utility companies are a law upon themselves and the developers have little to no control over them, I'm afraid.

In my previous newbuild purchase, the gas company had put the main in the wrong place, meaning myself and my neighbor couldn't get hooked up. To rectify this, they had to dig up 300 feet of pavement and put in new gas main. It took the gas company 8 months to get round to it, luckily we only got delayed around 6 weeks over it as the builders managed to get permissions etc. sorted to put gas bottles in the back gardens to feed our houses while we all waited for the gas co to get off their behind and rectify their mistake.

The developer I am now buying off has also told me it's always a question if the utility companies will show up to hook up a property when they are supposed to. Having them booked in is apparently no guarantee they will actually come...

Also, have you gone over the long stop date yet (Did read back, but couldn't find mention of it)? If you haven't, not much you can do, if you withdraw, you probably be liable for 10% of the full purchase price. I'd probably be trying to get a goodwill gesture of 1 month's worth of rent as that is something you can quantify, but more than that would probably be unreasonable.
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2016 at 9:09PM
    We went over it long ago. Already had significant compensation (5 months rent, free turf, free full height tiling) but the utility issue is a result of cancelled previous bookings due to more controllable delays with general labour and material handling on site.

This is now the fifth date we've been given and I've zero faith at this point it'll be the last. Our 2nd mortgage offer expires shortly after and we'll be homeless as from a few days before.
  • dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Hmmm, that's different then. Might be worth talking to your sols about it, telling them if they don't complete before your mortgage offer runs out you will withdraw and chase them for all quantifiable losses you have suffered as a result. Might wake them up out of their drunken haze, but I would sort this through your sols to show them you mean business. Could maybe include a list of costs so far to show them what they stand to lose (extra rent, legal/search fees, mortgage fees, etc.).
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    Yeah that's good idea. I'll see what their response is first. I get the impression they're pretty mortified about it as well so I'm hopeful they'll willingly want to put things right. If not then I'll get my solicitor involved.
  • pinktortilla
    pinktortilla Posts: 13 Forumite
    Came across this thread and thought I'd join in too! All excited for everyone here!

We are also FTB in the south west (so no extras for us! What we saw is what we got), and exchanged contracts in April with an estimated completion date of July/August.

Its starting to get real now that the roof timbers are on. Just looking forward to getting in and seeing what it looks like as we bought off plan. We've been taking pictures every week since we reserved so I'm going to make a collage of all the photos for the downstairs cloakroom :D
  • -pete-_2
    -pete-_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Hey pinktortilla, welcome to the thread! I hope it all goes according to plan.

We checked our place over the weekend, the wrong size window is still an issue but we could see some electric cables, gas lines and stuff going in, we even have a front door! Its just a bit of a shame that photos are going to be less of a thing until its basically done.
  • Graciepie88
    Graciepie88 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Hi there!

My boyfriend and I have started the process of buying a Bellway new build property - eek!

I'm phoning up to fill in reservation forms tomorrow. We managed to get them to agree to pay our stamp duty plus give us £1k towards extras. We were quite surprised that a lot of the items we thought we would have to pay for are included as standard in the property we have chosen, so that was also a bonus.

I'm nervous about the mortgage application and probably won't be able to get fully excited until that is sorted but obviously am still excited!

:rotfl:
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi there!

My boyfriend and I have started the process of buying a Bellway new build property - eek!

I'm phoning up to fill in reservation forms tomorrow. We managed to get them to agree to pay our stamp duty plus give us £1k towards extras. We were quite surprised that a lot of the items we thought we would have to pay for are included as standard in the property we have chosen, so that was also a bonus.

I'm nervous about the mortgage application and probably won't be able to get fully excited until that is sorted but obviously am still excited!

:rotfl:

Congratulations!

Be warned though the paid stamp duty will impact your loan to value as mortgage providers take this as a cash benefit - so just keep in mind if your numbers are tight you will need a bigger deposit.

You'll need to be verified before you can reserve but this will be the first step to knowing if you can afford it or not from the banks perspective.

Good luck!
  • millie1985
    millie1985 Posts: 22 Forumite
    We're still waiting to exchange on our new build...our solicitor has made 2 mistakes now on the HTB Authority to Exchange request and each time they've pointed it out on day 3 and we have to restart the process....

We're supposed to be completing on 3rd June and because of delays with our mortgage, have to be out of our rented house on 6th June!!!

Getting a bit panicky now...
  • hmd1987
    hmd1987 Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    house has been up for sale for 2 weeks now, apparantly no interest (not happy as TW should be chasing the estate agents, but we have been doing it - Doing the EasyMover Scheme). Dropped the price last night in time for the bank holiday weekend, it is in a new price bracket now so hopefully it will generate some interest

I'm panicking because the new house is ready at the end of July...there isn't any other plots available so I'm scared we will lose the dream house. We are using HTB so we can't even do part exchange either :S
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure