PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just butting in here to say there's a huge difference between "looking after a house" and "knock it about, get it up to date". Maintaining and modernising can be very different things.

As an example, my parents have always maintained their house well, it's a good sound building. Their bathroom is the original installed in 1960 (white, not coloured), and has been looked after and is in very good condition. Why would they replace it just because it's not modern?

One view would be that modernising to keep up with the latest trend is wasteful, with perfectly good items being thrown in skips. (Heard a report last week which said umpteen millions of people in the world don't have access to a toilet, yet we throw away working ones).

I take a middle view myself, happy to upgrade poor quality or faulty, but also to keep the old if still functioning well.

There of course differing views on this, but it's a bit tiring reading of MITSTM consistently looking down on the people who choose not to modernise. It's a personal choice and it doesn't mean they aren't taking care of their houses.

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ellie99 wrote: »
    Just butting in here to say there's a huge difference between "looking after a house" and "knock it about, get it up to date". Maintaining and modernising can be very different things.
    The Buxton house yesterday was a classic example of a good old-fashioned house, properly maintained. I loved it.

There's a difference too between "knock it about, get it up to date" and a proper full sort-out of a badly messed-up, defective property, but I'm not going to bore people making that distinction, except to say you don't just move furniture around for the latter.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I were in the market for a move to Buxton I'd happily take that one on. That's just the sort of doer upper I could cope with. Looked after but in need of a bit of modern tlc.
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    If I were in the market for a move to Buxton I'd happily take that one on. That's just the sort of doer upper I could cope with. Looked after but in need of a bit of modern tlc.

You'd have to like rain and snow to move here!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

As an example, my parents have always maintained their house well, it's a good sound building. Their bathroom is the original installed in 1960 (white, not coloured), and has been looked after and is in very good condition. Why would they replace it just because it's not modern?

One view would be that modernising to keep up with the latest trend is wasteful, with perfectly good items being thrown in skips. (Heard a report last week which said umpteen millions of people in the world don't have access to a toilet, yet we throw away working ones).

I take a middle view myself, happy to upgrade poor quality or faulty, but also to keep the old if still functioning well.

There of course differing views on this, but it's a bit tiring reading of MITSTM consistently looking down on the people who choose not to modernise. It's a personal choice and it doesn't mean they aren't taking care of their houses.

A lot of the furniture in that Buxton house would actually fetch a pretty penny now as 'vintage mid century modern', especially the bedroom stuff, and especially as it looks to be in good condition.

Goes to show, if you wait long enough your decor will eventually come back into fashion! Look at all the seventies style prints and colour schemes that are trendy now!
  • Dandie89
    Options

Completely agree with all you say. I would also say than in it all too many instances the modern fitments are inferior in quality to that which they replace not to mention of a style that will not date nearly as well and will likely lead to more "land fill" in a far shorter time.

I don't think it will be a bad thing if the increasing costs that councils are imposing on disposal of this stuff will make replacement a much more considered activity.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Dandie89 wrote: »
    I don't think it will be a bad thing if the increasing costs that councils are imposing on disposal of this stuff will make replacement a much more considered activity.
    Having just paid £14.50 for the disposal of some loft insulation full of dead mice I've had lurking in the barn for some years, I think that local recycling centres offer fair value for money, even if I'd not have paid anything in, say, 2010.

However, that's me. Unfortunately, observations of lay-bys, field gateways and easily accessible woodland etc show that since charging came in, the only consideration some people now do, is when they use Street View to decide the closest place to dump DIY waste.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • Davesnave
    Options
    rebs wrote: »

Sorry, the stain block will be opened just as soon as I've finished loading that fireplace into the skip......:o
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Having just paid £14.50 for the disposal of some loft insulation full of dead mice I've had lurking in the barn for some years, I think that local recycling centres offer fair value for money, even if I'd not have paid anything in, say, 2010.

However, that's me. Unfortunately, observations of lay-bys, field gateways and easily accessible woodland etc show that since charging came in, the only consideration some people now do, is when they use Street View to decide the closest place to dump DIY waste.

Do you pay to dispose of stuff as a householder where you are? Here you can get rid of as much as you like if you can physically get it to the tip. Its only trade/commercial waste and special collections that are charged for.

I took 15m2 of carpet in about 10 bin bags the other day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure