Engine management light

Hi all
I purchased a 2004 micra for my daughter 2 months ago, it's since developed a fault where there was a total loss of power, ie no response from the accelerator. Car doesn't cut out but when stopped she can turn off, leave for 2-3 minutes and start again. She said no engine management light came on.
Anyway I've checked the dashboard lights and the engine management light and the air bag light do not illuminate at all when the key is turned.
My question is will the car fail an MOT if both these lights don't illuminate at all when turning ignition on.
Also I've since had it to a garage to check if it has been tapered with and low and behold there is some sort of black silicone or soft rubber material stuffed behind to stop the lights from coming on.
The car has 1 months warranty left on it and I was wondering where I stand from a consumer rights perspective. I don't want to keep the car as I think it's not fit for purpose as my daughter will be driving up and down the country going to and from uni and travelling in a car on the motorway which can lose all power in an instant is a recipe for disaster.
Any help greatly appreciated

THANKS

Comments

• What's the garage that you bought it from say?

Plus it's a 13 year old car, what maintenance do you (or your daughter) intend to do, or have done?
  • I'm waiting for the garage to get back to me as he's apparently away for the weekend.
    If everything was OK with the car, which it's not, I would have it fully serviced and had new plugs and leads fitted.
  • stujimwill wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the garage to get back to me as he's apparently away for the weekend.
    If everything was OK with the car, which it's not, I would have it fully serviced and had new plugs and leads fitted.
    But you've had it two months already?
  • Yes I've had it two months,the fault didn't arise straight away, and this complaint has been on going for about three weeks. I've phoned garage quite a few times only for them to say the owner is either " on his day off" or " out with a client" or "away on business", and never had a returned phone call from them.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sounds like the garage has been dishonest and blanked the lights out. If that it the case you should reject it or seek legal advice for doing so.
  • That's what I want to happen. Reject the car and get the majority of my money back. If they won't oblige then I think it's a phone call to trading standards. But like I said earlier I was unsure about where i stood legally, hopefully could get some advice on here before going down that road.
  • EcoR1
    EcoR1 Posts: 97
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Engine management light is nothing to do with the MOT, airbag light will only fail if it's on, it doesn't have to come on initially with the ignition. The ABS light needs to illuminate and go off though.
  • Have you plugged a code reader in to find out what faults are stored in the ECU?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    So a service may cure all your faults but you wont service it because its got faults?

Its a 13 year old car. Either spend some money on it or buy a brand new car instead. Old cars need love to keep them happy and that involves fixing things and not letting the fault get worse first.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How are you intending to prove that the dealer rigged the EML? It could have been done by the previous owner(s).
    Checking both the EML and airbag light illuminate at switch on is surely something you checked on the test drive?
    What is the mileage and service history?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport