The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,311 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I am feeling very lazy this morning. Heat, a lot of wine watching Wimbledon and then more has taken the motivation levels way down low here. Off for a bacon sarnie and to get ready to drink too much again later.

This is fun, right.

Now I know why I never post unless I've been sober. I feel an odd mix of rebellious - why shouldn't I have drunk yesterday, annoyed at myself for getting so little done but also pleased to have stopped and relaxed into a drunken state of happiness. I think the why of my drinking is too complicated for this bear of very little brain this morning.

Hey WBF, drinking for me would be a perfect thing to do if the one and only effect of it was that first flush of feeling pleasantly tipsy, or as you say a "drunken state of happiness". I wish drinking alcohol didn't cause all the other things it causes over time and at the time (like the loss of ability to get anything done!) I like feeling mildly drunk, it's great. It just leads to too many other consequences, is the problem.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    Options
    Also I can't help thinking how half the problem of life is it always feels chaotic and a bit out of control and your problems and messes are always the thing right in front of you, and most of the time you're thinking "got it wrong again" (well I am) or "how do I deal with this". There are happy moments but the struggle with immediate problems tends to be the thing at the fore. This in its turn tends to obscure what's happening over the longer term - both the progress you make, if you're trying to do better at stuff, and the downhill slide if you're slowly getting worse. I look back now at where I was four, five years ago, not just with drinking but other things, and then ten years ago, and I can see I've got loads better at some things and am in an immeasurably better place. It's hard to see it or feel it though because it was gradual. I'm sure this is also how people can hide from themselves that their life is slipping out of control with things like drugs or drink - it doesn't tend to be dramatic, it's gradual, and it gets lost in amidst all the other everyday stuff you deal with, so it doesn't feel as though anything is changing. I have no doubt all of us on here are doing better than we used to be, even if it doesn't feel like it, or there have been repeated attempts and people are frustrated. You always feel in some ways as though you're at square one, and up against it, but the mere fact of hanging around here shows that we're not, we've got somewhere, we've taken a positive step. I know it's been said before. :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good post cathy .
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Off for a bacon sarnie and to get ready to drink too much again later.

This is fun, right.

Now I know why I never post unless I've been sober. I feel an odd mix of rebellious - why shouldn't I have drunk yesterday, annoyed at myself for getting so little done but also pleased to have stopped and relaxed into a drunken state of happiness. I think the why of my drinking is too complicated for this bear of very little brain this morning.

That sounds absolutely from the heart WBF and makes complete sense. In the end, I decided that the 'why' of drinking wasn't important; it was the fact of it I had to deal with and I could deal with the 'why' when I'd got brain space to spare. Turns out, for me, the why didn't matter.
    6/25 please

Channel hopping this morning between Sunday brunch on four and Saturday kitchen repeat on 2. Both had groups of people having a toast before 11am.
    Couldn't help but think of your points above (re Middle class drinking)

Absolutely true. It's apparently cool to have a drink with breakfast / brunch. Yeah, right.
    cathybird wrote: »
    Also I can't help thinking how half the problem of life is it always feels chaotic and a bit out of control and your problems and messes are always the thing right in front of you, and most of the time you're thinking "got it wrong again" (well I am) or "how do I deal with this". There are happy moments but the struggle with immediate problems tends to be the thing at the fore. This in its turn tends to obscure what's happening over the longer term - both the progress you make, if you're trying to do better at stuff, and the downhill slide if you're slowly getting worse. I look back now at where I was four, five years ago, not just with drinking but other things, and then ten years ago, and I can see I've got loads better at some things and am in an immeasurably better place. It's hard to see it or feel it though because it was gradual. I'm sure this is also how people can hide from themselves that their life is slipping out of control with things like drugs or drink - it doesn't tend to be dramatic, it's gradual, and it gets lost in amidst all the other everyday stuff you deal with, so it doesn't feel as though anything is changing. I have no doubt all of us on here are doing better than we used to be, even if it doesn't feel like it, or there have been repeated attempts and people are frustrated. You always feel in some ways as though you're at square one, and up against it, but the mere fact of hanging around here shows that we're not, we've got somewhere, we've taken a positive step. I know it's been said before. :)

Bang on the money, CathyBird.

I'll add my tup'ney ha'penny worth if I may. I got to the ripe old age of 50 before I finally realised that things doesn't always work out for the best. It sounds obvious with hindsight, but at the time I suddenly understood for the first time that waiting for solutions to happen wasn't going to lead to longterm happiness, ie not just leaving everything to fate, and I had to deal with 'stuff' or it would get seriously out of hand.

And at 58 when I gave up drinking that realisation fully manifested itself when I also understood that things don't always work out for the best when we trust to luck.

Up until then I had made progress on some things; higher education as a mature student, getting spending sort of under control and giving up smoking, but the biggest change by far was dealing with my alcohol problem. Which, if I'm honest, didn't occur to me as a major contibutor to not making more progress until after I stopped - which doesn't mean everyone else should stop completely but it has worked for me.

9/31 please, Shaggy
    Better is good enough.
  • scatterbrain109
    Options
    Sorry, I have been AWOL from the thread for a while.
    I last posted on 5th May.
    Since then I have managed 36 days.
    I am planning to set more realistic targets and I am aiming for 15 days this month.
    So far I have 3/15.
    I'll catch up in the next hour or two

Jo x
    Sealed pot challenge number - #057 2017 = £172.57 2018 = ????
    15/12/17 Mortgage £219,902 Secured loan £54,946 Unsecured £66,088:eek:
    15/1/18 Mortgage £219,596 Secured loan £54,492 Unsecured £64,,459 :eek:
  • Green_Karen
    Green_Karen Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    Posting 3/8 AF days tonight.
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Wanna_Bee_Free Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today is going to be 4/18 but I'll check in again this evening. Feeling tired and jaded after a restless night's sleep. Hello Monday morning!
  • cathybird
    edited 10 July 2017 at 5:58PM
    Options
    Thanks maman and HB - 9/21 for me today please. :)
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Aiming for Mon-Thurs again this week - fingers crossed ;)

Declaring early for tonight on 5/12 please Shaggy
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :wave: good to see you back scatterbrain.

sukeyboo wrote: »
    Aiming for Mon-Thurs again this week - fingers crossed ;)
    Same here sukey.

Definitely no plans to drink today, so that's a start.;)

3 AFDs please Shaggy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport