Barclaycard £50 Credit for bad press

Comments

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mmlh wrote: »
    Had to deal with a rather patronising-sounding guy for 10-15 minutes who would not let me cancel very easily. Went through all the benefits then kept saying it's the most rewarding card around and couldn't understand why I don't just keep it. I tried the bad press reason and he said that's not true anymore. In the end had to put my foot down and was put on hold while he went through the final cancelling process then came back and offered me £20 credit. In hindsight, I could've asked for a bit more but just wanted to get off the phone!

Has anyone tried cancelling other credit cards? I've worked out that my M&S rewards credit card is a bit rubbish.
    Also, I've seen people in this thread mention that they have a Barclays cashback credit card. Is that the one with the £24 annual fee?
    I might try it with my JL card . The interest free has finished and I no longer need it
  • sofeac
    sofeac Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They just offered me £20 which I took. I was hoping that they did not offer anything since I really wanted to cancel but I cannot say no to free money.
  • luaive
    luaive Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just been offered 20 quid to keep account open with barclaycard, how long does it take for it to be credited to the account? Or do they send a card through the post?
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They gave me 1% cashback for 6 months
  • wepre7
    wepre7 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks for this, they only gave me £40 but no complaint, it will buy some beers:beer:
  • lucy1038
    lucy1038 Posts: 7 Forumite
    I have a Barclaycard that I have had since 2009 but never use as I use my Halifax Clarity instead (£5 per month reward and perfect exchange rate abroad!). I just rang them and after 20 minutes on the phone gave up talking to "Customer Loyalty" team as they were not offering anything decent for me. They offered moving to their "Freedom rewards card" (stupid complicated scheme!), a drop in APR (not applicable I pay in full each month), 0% balance transfers (also N/A). Despite repeating constantly that I preferred my Halifax card due to the £5 reward each month there was no cash bonus being offered here. I ran out of energy after the 20 minutes so accepted a 1% cashback deal (no annual fees) for 6 months. Will ring again at some stage to cancel. They are exhausting though!!
  • kingstongold
    kingstongold Posts: 103 Forumite
    I rung them and asked for retentions
    I didnt want them to close my account so had to be a bit more careful but asked about Balance Transfers
    They said they'd do it at the rate of another provider- I said MBNA were offering me 1.45% (which theyre not) and they matched it
    So they are putting this as credit on my account, lowering my APR and giving me some rewards or something
    Not too bad for 5mins
  • I had a Barclaycard initial (starter high interest rate @ 29.9%) I had genuinely been planning on closing the account as I have better plastic. I had been using the card for almost 3 years quite heavily but never generated any interest or fees. I was still offered the £50 retention today. I didn't mention bad press, just that the product was inferior to what I am using now, and when I had asked for a better interest rate card/ one with more perks a year ago, I had been refused. I also said that it isn't right that the only way to benefit from loyalty is to cancel the card.
  • I rang up barclaycard the other day as my 0% balance transfer had come to an end and id transferred my balance to a new halifax card.

After a lengthy conversation they reduced my purchase % rate by 6%, gave me an offer for a 6 month interest free on any purchases, an extra 12 months on my balance transfer 0% and recredited me the £30 i'd spent on the balance transfer fee to take it to the new card.

I couldn't believe it! Ive only had that card a year and never paid any interest or fees so i was surprised they wanted to keep me!
  • Giorgi
    Giorgi Posts: 3 Newbie
    I tried to get the £50 as an incentive to not cancelling my Barclaycard but they refused as it had been inactive for a couple of years. However I was on the phone so long discussing this that they said they would credit my account with £15 as compensation for me phone call cost, after I had agreed to transfer from a Cashback to a Freedom Rewards card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure