Car wash scratched car

phingers
phingers Posts: 816 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all.
I used a car wash last week and after the wash firstly the car was still quite dirty but secondly the 'brushes' had swept scratches right down one side of the car! I usually hand wash the car so know full well that the scratches weren't there before the wash.
The garage directed me to contact the owners of the wash who in turn asked for photos plus two quotes for rectifying the paintwork - whilst at no time admitting liability.
They have now looked at the evidence and replied saying that over 100 other cars were washed that day with no one reporting problems so therefore they would not be paying to have my car sorted out.
Does anyone know if I can take this further and if so what action should I take next?
TYIA
"It is far better I say nothing and let people think I am an idiot than to open my mouth and confirm it beyond any doubt."

Comments

• Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It must be 16 or 17 years ago that Honest John in the Telegraph reported about this problem - caused by broken threads in the brush and operators not changing the brushes often enough because it costs money! I remember this as I was about to PX a Rover 820 and found loads of microscratches on the paintwork, the HJ article was a week later!

Since then I have never taken a car through one of those car washes!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I doubt you will get anywhere with the car wash company.

The answer as you know is never to use one, or the eastern europeans, hand wash yourself is the way to go and even then needs doing properly to avoid scratches or swirls
  • phingers
    phingers Posts: 816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks all. Very frustrating that they they just walk away from it. I have just spoken with an old friend and his car was apparently 'dry-washed' in a Tesco wash some years ago - the water never came on and the car was brushed to smithereens! They paid out £700 to rectify the issue no quibble. Perhaps things have changed? Hey ho. T-cut and polish it is.
    "It is far better I say nothing and let people think I am an idiot than to open my mouth and confirm it beyond any doubt."
  • ninja2302
    ninja2302 Posts: 32 Forumite
    The automatic car washes are awful for your paintwork. Read this:
    http://trustedcarproducts.co.uk/posts/automatic-car-washes-and-your-paint

Find a good hand car washer.
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    phingers wrote: »
    Thanks all. Very frustrating that they they just walk away from it. I have just spoken with an old friend and his car was apparently 'dry-washed' in a Tesco wash some years ago - the water never came on and the car was brushed to smithereens! They paid out £700 to rectify the issue no quibble. Perhaps things have changed? Hey ho. T-cut and polish it is.

Your friend could easily prove the damage was from no water being applied (car was completely dry afterwards) and they could probably recreate it.

As you said, the car wash owner has mentioned other people used it and haven't had an issue (that has been reported...apparently), so there is no evidence that it was the car wash that did it.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    The fact that no one else has reported anything to the company is not relevant. It's not other cars that have been damaged, yours has.
    The problem is that you will have to prove it, that may be difficult.

Could a paint shop provide a report saying the scratches are "consistent with damage caused by a car wash" I wouldn't be too hopeful but anything is worth a try.
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    scotsbob wrote: »
    The fact that no one else has reported anything to the company is not relevant. It's not other cars that have been damaged, yours has.

Could a paint shop provide a report saying the scratches are "consistent with damage caused by a car wash" I wouldn't be too hopeful but anything is worth a try.

Would be a nightmare proving it was caused by that specific car wash, personally I never use them as its common knowledge they aren't kind to paint work
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    photome wrote: »
    I doubt you will get anywhere with the car wash company.

The answer as you know is never to use one, or the eastern europeans, hand wash yourself is the way to go and even then needs doing properly to avoid scratches or swirls

Have never had any problems with any of the car washes operate by Eastern Europeans.

Why would their nationality make a difference?

A careless car washer is the same no matter what language he or indeed she speaks.
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    scotsbob wrote: »

Well if it was caused by a faulty part, it would be extremely unlikely that no other cars were damaged.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Use a bucket and sponge and clean it yourself; I've been doing that for 40 years and never had a problem. I've lost count of the number of 'car damaged by car wash' threads. The hand wash outfits might not be any better where they use a jet spray; if not careful that can take paint off in no time and/or get water in the electrics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure