The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could open a Tesco current account and deposit the £500, continue to £3000 then open a second one.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    diamonds wrote: »
    ...opening another TSB account in old mans name for the other £2000 of savings
    That could create problems for him (and possibly you too). Personally I wouldn't do that.

now just need to find somewhere to bank the remaining £500 and £300 a month... probably just open a TSB 5% Direct saver in his name too, unless anyone can recommend something better than above ? The 3 current accounts will be paying £15 a month to me :)

Any better ideas for current £4500 and a regular £300 a month saving
    I haven't looked back to see if you've previously listed what you have, but Nationwide FlexDirect will take £2.5K and £500 a month going forward in their regular saver...all at 5%. Club Lloyds will take £4-5K and £400 a month in their regular saver going forward...all at 4%.
  • susiew65
    Options
    Hi everyone...i have recently sold my house and my share of the sale is currently sitting in a Barclays savings account. I want to put it into a high interest easy access account but haven't got a clue. The amount I want to invest is £50000. I want an account that I can go into a branch. I live in Wednesbury West midlands. Can anyone please give me advice....explained simply please 😊
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    susiew65 wrote: »
    Hi everyone...i have recently sold my house and my share of the sale is currently sitting in a Barclays savings account. I want to put it into a high interest easy access account but haven't got a clue. The amount I want to invest is £50000. I want an account that I can go into a branch. I live in Wednesbury West midlands. Can anyone please give me advice....explained simply please 😊
    Go to http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/ In compare savings (by the blue piggy bank) select easy access and fill in the filters to find the accounts that fulfill your criteria. (by being so restricted to being dependant on a branch near you I expect your options will be limited) Or maybe just look out for what banks you pass when shopping.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    he amount I want to invest is £50000. I want an account that I can go into a branch. I live in Wednesbury West midlands.
    Walk down Wednedbury High street and go into each bank/building society.

But in this day and age you are really restricting your options. You're on an internet moneysaving site so you clearly use the internet, and I assume you have a postal address. By including internet and postal accounts you will have much wider options.

If you also have a phone, you could include telephone operated accounts.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I want to put it into a high interest easy access account but haven't got a clue.
    Unfortunately there is no such thing as a high interest easy access account for £50K!

Traditional savings accounts like you describe are likely to pay just over 1% interest, and the only way of achieving more than this for easy access money in the current climate is to open multiple current accounts.

See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account and http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest for further details.
  • somersetsaving
    Options
    Hi, we wondered how you find the accounts and rates? Just because our credit union's savings rates have been consistently better than the 'instant access savings' or the 'ethical savings' rates you quote in the article. We have delivered 1.5% for the past 2 years running.
    Is there any way we can be included when you do the research?
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, we wondered how you find the accounts and rates? Just because our credit union's savings rates have been consistently better than the 'instant access savings' or the 'ethical savings' rates you quote in the article. We have delivered 1.5% for the past 2 years running.

Are you advertising
    What happens if you push this button?
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

I'm afraid I lost faith in credit unions after my experience with DotCom Unity which went into liquidation last year.

Although they were protected by the FSCS and all my money was returned, the members went trough a very traumatic time, with access to funds frozen for some months, many dubious statements about what was happening to the money and in some instances out right untruths being told.

They also offered good interest rates, whilst I realise that was just one example ,but if you do some searches you will find a high number of credit unions go bust.
    So from my point of view I will stick to the main stream even if I loose slightly % wise.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, we wondered how you find the accounts and rates?
    You should contact the MSE team directly - see links at bottom of each page.
    The editorial team do not monitor the forum.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport