Premium Bond Winner ?

Comments

• edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    Stevenj214 wrote:
    im sure in another premium bonds thread it was pointed out that millions more bonds have been bought recently than have been bought in the past... so it stands to reason that newer bonds win more, it doesn't mean that any single bond has a higher chance of winning

I agree with Steven, as it's just statistics (ever read Darrell Huff's How To Lie With Statistics? - a very old but still relevant book)

This is the same as the idea that more people win in the south, so you should move into the south to increase your odds of winning. However, more premium bonds are owned by those in the south than in the north (where is the dividing line anyway?)

It fascinates me that Ernie just randomly generates a winning number - and then it is checked to see if that number has been allocated/sold yet. So you could own one or more premium bonds that 'won' before you had them!
  • trademark
    trademark Posts: 589 Forumite
    i understand statistics .... they are obvious , my theory is not based on past statistics though , im talking about my own holding and the age of that holding , of course if 1000 new customers each buy 30k's worth tomorrow then they are going to win prizes and this will add to the theory that newer bonds win more .

im talking about my experience , and so far , to date ... i win more prizes with newer bonds .

ill be buying £2,000 this month in two blocks of 1k ..... and i intend to sell and buy again my first 5k's worth when ive reached a 10k holding in 3 months or so

youve got to go with what works for yourself ....
  • mitchb
    mitchb Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, ive had a massive £5 worth of bonds since 1978 and never won anything. My brother got £500 worth of bonds in july 1998 and won £50 that december but not a penny since. Thinking of buying some more, dreaming of the big one
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    trademark wrote:
    i understand statistics .... they are obvious , my theory is not based on past statistics though , im talking about my own holding and the age of that holding , of course if 1000 new customers each buy 30k's worth tomorrow then they are going to win prizes and this will add to the theory that newer bonds win more .

im talking about my experience , and so far , to date ... i win more prizes with newer bonds .

ill be buying £2,000 this month in two blocks of 1k ..... and i intend to sell and buy again my first 5k's worth when ive reached a 10k holding in 3 months or so

youve got to go with what works for yourself ....

trademark:

I'm a v. new user to this site (never used any discussion boards before) and I thought the idea was to 'go with the flow' - I didn't expect to receive a rebuke for posting what I thought might contribute to the discussion

You've made me nervous about sharing my thoughts in future
  • trademark
    trademark Posts: 589 Forumite
    EDDA ... i think your being over sensitive , i was just commenting on statistics mentioned earlier in this thread and others ..... i didnt actually read your comments i just happened to post next in line to your post and use the word statistics ....

id hate it for someone to actually have a go at you ..... as im not sure you could cope with it ... that said im happy to read your future comments and i would never rebuke you for expressing an opinion .

after all that is all i am posting .... just a theory/opinion

please carry on posting and contributing , i for one would be pleased to hear your veiws , i had forgotten that ernie does actually pick numbers that may not be owned so your post has added value and you shouldnt be nervous about posting here or anywhere else

regards
  • wallet_2
    wallet_2 Posts: 103 Forumite
    bought £1000 bonds 1993
    1995 3 x £50
    1996 2x£50
    1998 £50
    2001 £50
    2004 £100
    2005 £50

........... come on ernie me old hitechmate still waitin for a biggun
    never done lottery but enjoy the CHANCE from ernie
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    I've had ones since I was little (35+ years) and won about 3 times when I was young, was bought £50 in 1987 and won £50 a month later, nothing since. Have also been toying with the idea that I should buy some more. My 5 year old has £100 and hasn't ever won anything. I am also thinking about buying her another £100.

Can't decide but believe in spreading the risk - she has £2K in an investment fund (pay £30 per month in), £450 in children's bonds, £600 in 'pocket money' account and maybe £300 in a friendly society account, plus one that holds £600 and is added to by £10 per month. Maybe she will have enough to buy a bag of sweets in 20 years time! Still, if I don't do it, she won't have anything.
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I only have a couple of hundred pounds worth of premium bonds that I bought over 20 years ago and I haven't won a single penny.
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Actually I think the problem is that people do not understand the statistics at all.

Humans are genetically inclined to try and see patterns in anything. This was so that we could spot the outline of animals or people hidden in grassland or forest, however the same genetics apply when we view the impact of random number generation. We start looking for patterns even though there isn't one. We are also "designed" to apply our past experience to the future, even though it may not be sensible. For example if water was hot last time, you won't put your hand straight in again without testing, even though this water could be hot or cold.

This means that we have a tendency to try and extrapolate from previous events and come up with behaviour patterns even though there is no sensible reason for doing so.

The other problem is that a series of random numbers never looks random to most people.

An example: You toss a coin ten times. If it comes up heads 10 times, you conclude the coin is dodgy. If it comes up 5 heads and 5 tails, you conclude that the coin is "fair". And yet both outcomes have the same probability of being generated entirely at random.

The OP has formed a theory that more recent PBs are likely to win than old ones, based purely on the fact that HIS recent PBs have paid out more than the old ones. However this is a theory extrapolated foward from random number selection. If the PBs that won were the old ones, would the theory change? If so, why? What would be the reason for some numbers winning more than others?

There isn't one. What you have noticed is just random behaviour at work, combined with a very human tendency to try and make a pattern out of it. The same problem has arisen with the study of telephone masts and cancer rates, and autism and the MMR jab. People have concluded based on possibly random data without the backup of a theory as to WHY a link between the to might exist is in place. This is called "data mining": looking for something in data and then forming a theory around it, rather than forming a robust theory and then testing it with data.

If you want a more frightening example of similar behaviour, visit Motley Fool and look at all the idiots who are attempting to come up with foolproof stock market investment methods based on the study of past performance charts.

The way to prove that the selection of premium bond winners is not random is not by collecting data, as that proves nothing. You need to come up with a valid reason as to why it might be happening, then use the data to back up your theory.

Cheers.
  • mbamick
    mbamick Posts: 291 Forumite
    I've held premium bonds for about 10 years and had the maximum since Apr '04, ever since I paid off the mortgage. I'm also a higher rate taxpayer, that enjoys the thrill of checking ERNIE's selection each month.

I assume that many of you do the same as me, and input your holder number into the NS&I website after about Day 5, rather than waiting for the cheques to hit the mat?

I have had twenty one (21) wins since Oct '04, totalling £1,100. All were £50, apart from a solitary £100 win. Quite happy with their performance to date, so won't be churning old numbers into new bonds just yet.

Best of luck to you all in the future.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure