We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I gave up full time work to be a carer for my Dad, I remember thinking, "This is going to make us very poor!"

I knew nothing about Working Tax Credits in those days, as I'd not qualified for them when working full time. I could scarcely believe our luck when one of my ex-pupils pointed me towards them. We weren't that much worse-off after all.

But I couldn't help thinking then, it was all a bit too easy. Would I have gone part time much sooner, if I'd known? Yes, of course! How much would the taxpayer have lost in terms of my working career if that had happened?

By playing the system, we could have subsidised our business for years, as DW was encouraged to claim as well. Had she known earlier, I expect she would have, as she worked all the hours God sent on it.

I remember the overpayment too. It was complex, but somehow we ended up owing over £1k. At first I accepted it, but talking to one of the benefits officers I realised he was hinting when he said, "We can't help you, unless you show you were misled."

So, I sat down and worked out a fairly pathetic argument by letter, showing we'd been 'misled' and confused (the latter was true!) and, hey presto, the debt was cancelled. Fine for us, but I'm reasonably articulate. What about the poor folks who aren't?

Anyway, what I meant to say was: complex system, needs reform and simplifying so the really needy do better.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had a great garden day :j As you know I have been keen to get some verbena for the garden and finally today I went to get some. However the stock was quite dry and starting to turn so I asked if they had more and I got them hugely discounted. That and a few other bargains have made me very happy!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2015 at 6:47PM
    Options
    I briefly claimed contribution-based JSA after finishing a period of full-time adult-education. I can't say I enjoyed the experience, in fact I was sanctioned for forgetting to attend a weekly interview - AFAIK they've done away with these?

The nadir in my relationship with the Job Centre was when I read you'd get reimbursed for expenses related to attending interviews and presented them with the receipt for a train ticket from Peterborough to London with covering letter from the HR dept who'd invited me for interview :) The angst couldn't have been greater if I'd ask them to refund me from their own money.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    What do you think of .....the stock market in China??

I forgot that bit.....Err.. I think I should have kept an eye on it. :o

The reason is that since about 1992, when my Dad asked me to 'hide' a couple of thousand (!:rotfl:!) I've had an investment in shares....well, technically, Dad had them.

It started out in a very safe, unexciting hiding place, but over the years, while it's still wrapped-up in an ISA, the investment has become more of as risky one. :eek: Exposure to Far East markets is a fairly large part of it.:doh:

Over the past year or two, while most of my investments have been going nowhere, this one has done well. I looked last in May and there was enough to pay for the kitchen and a few little extras too.:D

But now, just when I want to cash it in....well, I'm scared to look! :cry:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Davesnave .. I haven't done a quote just in case ...

Sooooooo pooop... By not looking isn't going to change how its doing...soo maybe best you take a look, and make a decision on your gutt instinct..

All I know is, the world's banking / financial situation is like a pyrimid of cards, one tiny little thing and the whole lot will come crashing down.. Nowhere is re- money and trade safe at the moment... Except under your mattress lol..

Re- the budget.. I knew I should have got rid of this place at auction earlier on in the year.. The cuts etc will def have an impact on buy to let properties... And something about tax relief on rented properties ???

Anyway. Been busy painting/ freshening this place up.. Well started part of the kitchen..painted cupboard doors etc...so the house smells like a paint tin lol
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Davesnave .. I haven't done a quote just in case ...

Sooooooo pooop... By not looking isn't going to change how its doing...soo maybe best you take a look, and make a decision on your gutt instinct..

All I know is, the world's banking / financial situation is like a pyrimid of cards, one tiny little thing and the whole lot will come crashing down.. Nowhere is re- money and trade safe at the moment... Except under your mattress lol..

I will look, but I may not do anything! The most important thing about that kind of investment is that it must be something you can live without. I was in this position before with it, years ago, but by just hanging in there, things got better again. :)

I was silly not studying the signs more carefully, but there are other fish to fry right now! :o
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The building trade is really picked up here - I think folks put their money into bricks when the banks are risky, interests rates are so low. It's resurged the trades that were in a bad recession this past three years or so.

I don't really know much about tax credits, but folks with kids seem to do very well. I do think expectations are incredibly high.

I have seen extreme poverty here & it is usually the elderly that live alone or people in full time work that also live alone & are on low wage.

We do suffer from having to travel large distances here & that does impact on costs - haulage - things costs more.

There's a massive divide of wealth & there are far too many tax dodging billionaires & businesses creaming it & enjoying the fat of the land. It's very unhealthy.

OH's operation is delayed because of lack of cash basically. He's in agony & has been for a long time. It's disgraceful that the hospitals are in such a state when George Osborne & the like are bunging their millions into off shore hidey holes.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    OH's operation is delayed because of lack of cash basically. He's in agony & has been for a long time. It's disgraceful that the hospitals are in such a state when George Osborne & the like are bunging their millions into off shore hidey holes.
    But hasn't George just announced measures to plug the offshore loopholes? Must admit I know nothing about the man, but he strikes me as having done a reasonable job so far, bearing in mind where things were in 2009.

I agree the NHS ship needs a re-fit, but just turning it round would take a decade, and there will never be enough money because of all we Boomers getting old....:embarasse

DW is like your OH, hobbling about, waiting for a scan. She was sent for one and turned away by some jumped-up Johnny who thought he knew better....So, now she's in the queue again, and he's had a rocket up the proverbial, but none of that is getting it close to being fixed.....don't even know what it is yet! :(
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I was chatting with someone today about ... dare I risk the wrath of being accused of allsorts !,... the amount of money we are "told" to send to other countries. we agreed that whilst we have our problems as a country, we do not get massive handouts ? will we ever? doubt it.. if we could see accounts for what our money is spent on here and in other countries maybe ?.... not gonna happen when the people on high stay "high"... unaccountable and untraceable... see a common theme folks??
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The money that we waste on chasing the little person that is doing a bit on the side & the way that the likes of George Osbourne has just made mega bucks on his 15% cut of an exclusive gated community development that is stuffed in an off-shore trust fund is too extreme a divide. The complete hypocrisy of that man beggars belief. The corruption in the country is disgusting. Don't get me started.
    Austerity measures are a joke & a stick to beat the poor with. The rich are getting mega rich & the whole thing make me sick to the stomach.
    We are turning into a third world country re our infastructure yet the rich are becoming billionaires & the ordinary person in the street has never had such insecurity - being told to work until you drop. Public toilets & libraries shutting. Universities are just a business that churns out debtors. We need trades, skilled blue collar workers. Apprentices.

The banks are just the pits
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure