PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm so glad to hear Millie's feeling better, monnagran :T
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, hope everyone's weekend is going to plan ....
    The 3 minute wonder , has been 3 times this week ... kids have started to call him that ... did try and say maybes he busy ... but stopped myself when they just laughed ...kids
    School ok so far ..,
    Not enough hours in the day for work,kids,dogs,runs,life .... Shattered but hanging in there ...
    Bills not paid , but spoken to , work on going this coming week , so home/ house on the market soon ... sooner it's gone the better , can then move on ....
    I don't know if I'm normal , but oddly carm now about most of it ... think he's a joke , but not my problem ....
    Still looking dignified , in shape and in control , kids so much better now the shock has gone ,.... just hope / believe karma will some day kick in ....
    On a practical note , had a wobble because Ive broken the saw I use for the wood , but hopefully it's just a fuse .? ... diy job tomorrow , in between dogs ,run,and football match .... ( please let them win this week) ....
    So tonight fire on( last of wood) and large wine in hand.....
    Hugs to anyone who wants one
    X
    £223/ £250 GC
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Better look for your liberty bodice monna. We have bought our thermal vests. DS has to take his off when he finishes work as he works in the chiller at -5 degrees.

I was always asked if I was born in a barn. Mum and Dads house always felt like an open field never mind a barn right up until they went in sheltered housing.

I think I had better buy some really warm slippers as all the houses DS likes have wooden floors.

I always had chilblains when I was a kid. I can still feel pain and them itching.
  • But the ice on the insides of the windows was very pretty.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh nursemaggie, chilblains were horrible, weren't they? I don't think anyone has them now, do they? I don't know if you have a Sh*e Zone near you, but I bought a great pair of furry lined slippers there. I think they were supposed to be snow boots but I don't think they were stout enough for those. They were very cheap, about £6 or £7 as I recall and I lived in them for 2 winters. They had the added advantage that you didn't have to change out of them if you had to pop outside. Sadly Dora ate one of mine this year so I must try to get another pair.

burtha - The Three Minute Wonder - I like it! Looks as though the kids have his measure and now regard him as a figure of fun. Good.
    As for you, lady, you are sounding more like burtha again. Calm is good, it means that you are beginning to detach yourself from him. It isn't the end of pain and hurt but the calm moments will become more and more frequent until they start joining up and you get more calm than anguish. Takes a while and times of howling with grief will happen sometimes, but less frequently and every time you come out of one of those awful sessions you will be a little bit stronger. It may not feel like it but you will.

Enjoy the fire and the wine. You are lovely.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Burtha why not get the 3-minute wonder to fix the wood saw? He has a responsibility to ensure his family are warm, at least until the financial settlement is agreed ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I don't think you do get chilblains now. What causes them? And the other awful thing I can remember was loads of bairns with gentian violet dabbed on their faces, on sores around their mouths. Can't remember what that was now.
  • mar that's impetigo. We have better treatment now. They have to stay off school with it so you rarely see it. I once saw a woman in a crowd who had it and I told he to see a Doctor immediately.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Catching up via speed reading here, so forgive me if I miss anything. Hubby is occupied elsewhere so I've snuck on. Between his pc gaming and work (sometimes from 7am-7.30pm), there's precious little opportunity. We're considering PC shopping for me though, so there's hope.

So... Pickle is reorganising a school, Burthas ex is behaving in an expectedly halfassed fashion, there's a school somewhere that boils elephants for lunch, Fuddle is about to need the troops to put a GPs receptionists head on a pike as a warning to all others not to mess with her and Monna is hunting out her chastity belt to avoid getting impetigo.... I may have confused some issues somewhere there :D

Burtha, you're best off rid of !!!!!!. His brain seems to have migrated south for the winter. Sending hugs, I hope it is just a fuse on your saw. Sometimes the smallest of things can seem like the last straw, so I hope your small things go smoothly.

I recall being so cold at uni, when the boiler in the rental got condemned by the gas board, that three of us girls huddled in one bed under every blanket we had! I've heard tales of three in a bed at uni, but never for that reason :o

Mens underkeks can be a curious thing. I find that even the men who care nothing for the rest of their clothing can be curiously demanding of their undergarments. My best friends husband will only wear a particular style of a particular brand. Problem is they've discontinued them. I have a feeling he'll be wearing the current ones until they could be used as replacement fishing nets, then after that, who knows.

MMF007, I'm with you in the non-knitting camp. I've always had a bit of trouble with yarn crafts. After a few years and many attempts at learning, I'm finally getting to grips with crochet though, so who knows, maybe one day.

Thank you to all those mentioning vintage cookery books for reminding me I want an old BeRo. And a couple of others, but that one is key. I don't know when we got out of recipe books where anyone could achieve a decent result and got into ones that look more like chemistry experiments.

I'm suffering right now from a burnt finger (chicken casserole - yes I am clumsy NurseMaggie :o) and a few pulled muscles (built a garden shed on Thursday). But feel as though that's another bit of progress. Am intending to begin painting another room tomorrow.

Love to you all, see you next catch up! xx
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Unfortunately if I asked him it probably would take him till next winter to fix it .... he's so busy going away these days ...
    Hopefully will be an easy sort tomorrow, if not can ask the joiner on Monday to have a look...
    Praying the weather is warmer tomorrow for football , bought ski trousers in the sale but didnt want to start wearing them yet ... but football pitches are sooooo cold ...
    Did a facepainting gig today , great fun , one teenage girl wanted to be a broken doll ....looked fab,so good when the child see it for the first time ... love it
    X
    £223/ £250 GC
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport