Travel credit cards

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    Of course they could call their card whatever they want but people could easily see that they are not attractive anymore like it used to be. Even just for purchase or cashback.
    Agreed.
    I do not see any use of to link supercard to other cards just for purchase and for reward scheme.
    I have a credit card that pays me 1% cashback and charges a 3% currency fee. Linking that to Supercard ensures I get 1% cashback and no currency fee on purchases.
    For that purpose it is better to use that credit card directly without the need to get link from Supercard.
    Unless I'm spending between £300 and £500 my plan is better value for me.
    If people want to get cashback £5 on purchase equivalent of £300+ in foreign currency they are better off if they are using clarity card directly. For smaller purchase with cash back of 0.5% on foreign currency they are better off using Aqua or Capital one directly
    Although Halifax don't pay the £5 without a qualifying current account relationship and are reported to be ceasing paying the £5 on new cards according to a staff member on these forums.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,805
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 June 2016 at 7:36AM
    I have just observed emerging dodgy practice from non bank credit card. Learning from the past these travel credit cards issuer will give an incentive of fee free for foreign transaction, very good exchange rate. But sole interest is only to mine people data, with the possibility to cross sell or for marketing purposes or even sell your data ??

They will demand the people unnecessary procedure to download their apps to mine people data. Getting what they want, after they have got the people data, they will change the game (e.g. T&C) in the middle. Travelex, Revolut are just pioneers to name I wonder how many will follow the same track ??

IMO the watch dog should step up and ban this emerging dodgy practice.

People should be able to use the product irrespective their choice of accessing their account. People should always be given a choice to use or access the online account using any browser without the need to download apps.

If this trend continues without control and any bank, financial insitutions is demanding its apps to be installed to use its product, I wonder how many apps do you need to install on your phones ??? Not to mention the danger if you loose your phone with these dodgy apps with your sensitive financial information, cards, linking to this apps on your phone ???
  • Darian
    Darian Posts: 1 Newbie
    When abroad, I use Halifax Clarity. When paying for goods in shops or eating in restaurants the exchange rates are better than any rates offered at home or in the resort. I also deposit money to create a positive balance before going on holiday which means that interest is not charged for ATM cash withdrawals. With on line banking its easy to keep topping up the credit balance, if necessary, when you are abroad.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 June 2016 at 10:02AM
    Darian wrote: »
    When abroad, I use Halifax Clarity. When paying for goods in shops or eating in restaurants the exchange rates are better than any rates offered at home or in the resort. I also deposit money to create a positive balance before going on holiday which means that interest is not charged for ATM cash withdrawals. With on line banking its easy to keep topping up the credit balance, if necessary, when you are abroad.
    As long as you understand that this is in breach of the T&C of the account and have a back up plan in case your card is blocked.
    As you say, with on line banking its easy to make payments when you are abroad, so I will sometimes make an interim payment to cover the atm withdrawal once it hits the account, but I don't always bother as it is such a small amount and my holiday time is precious.
    Not worth the risk of having the card blocked to save pennies IMO
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • adindas
    Forumite
    Just in case anyone want to know.
    The new supercard is Mastercard (not Visa) so slightly better exchnage rate then the expiry one which use Visa.

https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard

But for cash withdrawal it is far from attractive considering the introduction of 2.99% for cash withdrawal in foreign currency in the new card.
  • clever_duck
    clever_duck Posts: 35 Forumite
    Quick question, is it generally better to take cash abroad or take one of these cards and use that to spend abroad ( I know it depends on the exchange rate you get on cash purchase that's why I'm asking generally)

Also second question Supercard or Halifax Clearity card?
  • adindas
    Forumite
    Quick question, is it generally better to take cash abroad or take one of these cards and use that to spend abroad ( I know it depends on the exchange rate you get on cash purchase that's why I'm asking generally)

Card e.g Zero fee for foreign transaction.
    But it is a good practice to have a small cash with you to be used as soon as you arrive before you could find a cash machine to withdraw cash.
    Also second question Supercard or Halifax Clearity card?

Halifax Clarity. But learn it how to avoid or minimize interest.
  • adindas wrote: »
    Card e.g Zero fee for foreign transaction.
    But it is a good practice to have a small cash with you to be used as soon as you arrive before you could find a cash machine to withdraw cash.

Halifax Clarity. But learn it how to avoid or minimize interest.

ah so go for one with no withdraw fees, then withdraw abroad. If you just want to pay via card only, then I guess the Supercard is better as no credit checks, etc.

And the Clarity card, to avoit interest, pay off in full monthly I guess.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    ah so go for one with no withdraw fees, then withdraw abroad. If you just want to pay via card only, then I guess the Supercard is better as no credit checks, etc.

And the Clarity card, to avoit interest, pay off in full monthly I guess.

You guess wrong. If you use it to withdraw cash, cover that with an online payment asap.
    Better still have one card for purchases and another for cash withdrawals.

Creation Everyday offers slightly better value than the Halifax Clarity.
  • I got this card for a recent holiday to Thailand following a review of your travelling abroad advice and I found it to be an easy and reliable card. It was easy enough to get and with a large enough balance for my needs. I only took out one withdrawal and was charged approximately £1 per £100 as estimated. I paid the bill when I got back. I'm not too sure what the conversion rate was but on the bill, I was refunded about £6.00 on my spend transactions.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback