Reclaiming Old Bank Charges

I had a current account with the Halifax starting from September 2005 until June 2016.

During the time of the account being active I did incurr some banks charges, for being only a few pence overdrawn.

During this time period, I was under the old sickness benefit of Incapacity Benefit.

Under the Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 187, would I be able to reclaim the bank charges as they would have been unfair!?

How do I go about this!?

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    I had a current account with the Halifax starting from September 2005 until June 2016.

During the time of the account being active I did incurr some banks charges, for being only a few pence overdrawn.

During this time period, I was under the old sickness benefit of Incapacity Benefit.

Under the Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 187, would I be able to reclaim the bank charges as they would have been unfair!?

No. It has nothing to do with bank charges.

How do I go about this!?

See above.
  • Under the Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 187, would I be able to reclaim the bank charges as they would have been unfair!?
    Where on earth have you found this piece of legislation?

Why do you believe it would mean that historical bank charges are going to be refunded to you?

Regardless, only people in current Financial Hardship may be refunded (some) bank charges and no one receives refunds from years ago...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

That is an old wives tale and a completely wrong interpretation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    Social Security Administration Act 1992

187Certain benefit to be inalienable

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on—
    (a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;
    (b)any income-related benefit; or
    (c)child benefit,and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of a beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.
    (2)In the application of subsection (1) above to Scotland—
    (a)the reference to assignment of benefit shall be read as a reference to assignation, “assign” being construed accordingly;
    (b)the reference to a beneficiary’s bankruptcy shall be read as a reference to the sequestration of his estate or the appointment on his estate of a judicial factor under section 41 of the [1980 c. 46.] Solicitors (Scotland) Act 1980.
    (3)In calculating for the purposes of section 5 of the [1869 c. 62.] Debtors Act 1869 or section 4 of the [1882 c. 42.] Civil Imprisonment (Scotland) Act 1882 the means of any beneficiary, no account shall be taken of any increase of disablement benefit in respect of a child or of industrial death benefit.

Scaredwitless probably best to have discussed this with your support worker first who may have been able to have got you advice on this. I agree with the above, I cannot see how this can be interpreted into bank charges. If you receive advice otherwise from a professional, people here would be very interested.
  • Hopefully someone out there will be able to help. I have found some old bank statement's and it shows a monthly fee of £10 but I do not know what it was for, the statements are dated 1990.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hopefully someone out there will be able to help. I have found some old bank statement's and it shows a monthly fee of £10 but I do not know what it was for, the statements are dated 1990.

That is very early for a packaged bank account. That is the era when charged accounts (such as gold accounts) were more common and the banks toyed with a monthly charge but beneficial overdraft terms.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure