Stocks & Shares ISAs

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What do you mean by 'honest reviews'?

There are any number of sites that publish comparative factual information about actual performance but over and above that there are a range of subjective analyses so, for example, FundExpert's Dynamic Fund Selection methodology is based specifically on the principles of momentum investing: http://www.fundexpert.co.uk/research/dynamicfundselection.htm

Since FundExpert also sell funds then I'd question their impartiality as a matter of principle (but not necessarily dismissing their analysis) so if I was looking for impartiality I'd go to somewhere independent that offers data without having any vested interests, such as TrustNet or MorningStar.
  • SIRUSKEY
    SIRUSKEY Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. The question was more of impartial review of funds from people who don't benefit from your purchase.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SIRUSKEY wrote: »
    Thanks. The question was more of impartial review of funds from people who don't benefit from your purchase.

Anything provided free of charge is going to be doing it for a reason. A reason that is unlikely to be doing it out of love. This is why independent research sites charge you for access. If the end user is paying, there is no need for any bias.

Worst places are platforms/providers. Most do not promote funds but some on the DIY side do. Typically those that make super clean share classes available through them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My question was more about the word 'review' than the word 'honest' - I get that you're looking for independence, neutrality, etc, but researching and selecting funds shouldn't be treated like reading about hotels on TripAdvisor, it should be based more on fundamentals and facts rather than opinions - well, that's my opinion anyway! ;)
  • SIRUSKEY
    Options
    Good point,

I would be interested in view points for growth funds over the next 20 years for regular monthly saving.

I'm looking at emerging market funds but I'm out of my depth.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Good point,

I would be interested in view points for growth funds over the next 20 years for regular monthly saving.

I'm looking at emerging market funds but I'm out of my depth.

Why are you looking at just one sector and not all the other sectors?

Single sector investing is bad investing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • SIRUSKEY
    Options
    I'm not. I have funds in US and UK but the more I have been reading the more I realise I have lots of overlap. I have nothing for EU or emerging markets.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I find the best place for fund data and generating comparison graphs is Trustnet. It also provides convenient links to the fund manager's documentation. As has been said it doesnt make sense to "review" a fund like a film or a play. Data is all that matters.
  • SIRUSKEY
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    I find the best place for fund data and generating comparison graphs is Trustnet. It also provides convenient links to the fund manager's documentation. As has been said it doesnt make sense to "review" a fund like a film or a play. Data is all that matters.

Yes it was a poor choice of words. It's data and comparisons I was looking for.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Yes it was a poor choice of words. It's data and comparisons I was looking for.

Do also take some of the data analysis on sites like trustnet and Morningstar with a pinch of salt. Funds pay to have their data included on those sites. The more they pay, the more the analysis.

Some very good funds pay little or nothing and may look less attractive than poorer quality funds with lots of stars.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback