Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Comments

• thumshie
    thumshie Posts: 631 Forumite
    jinkssick wrote: »
    Ive put 1k in a NS&I 5.8% for 06/07. this was since last weeks money tip, but now I want to put it in the Barclays 6.5%.

Most(If not all:confused: ) banks will offer the cooling off period of 14 days from account opening. I've seen it in the T&C's for barclays,HSBC,YBS to name a few:
    5.2 If you wish to close your account and notify us within 14 days of the opening day of the account, the agreement between us will be cancelled. Repayment of funds plus sny gross interest wull be returned to you usually within 5 working days. You will still be able to open an isa with another ISA manager ir us and your full annual subscription limits will remain.

So if your quote above means you've only just opened the NS&I, you may(check with them) be able to close the account without it removing the ability to open another in the same tax year. The question is, will they refund in time for you to apply this year to Barclays??
  • Macce
    Macce Posts: 71 Forumite
    Are you sure Britannia dont accept transfers as on thier site for this ISA it says...

You can transfer in previous years' ISA balances from other Britannia ISAs or ISAs held with other providers.
    Kazza242 wrote: »

Fixed rate mini cash isa's for 'new money' only (i.e. they don't accept transfers in):

1 Year deals:

[*] Britannia BS 5.85% (fixed until April 6th 2008). Minimum deposit: £3,000.
    Existing Britannia fixed rate cash isa customers have been offered 6%.
  • Chillum
    Chillum Posts: 17 Forumite
    Like Kazza, I will probably split my current ISA and any new money for an ISA.

Barclays seem like the obvious favourite for new money.

The question is regarding my current ISA.

I probably wil go with Abbey but want to clear up one thing, for balances £9k and above, does the 5.75% apply tot he whole balance or just to that £9k+?
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Chillum wrote: »
    Like Kazza, I will probably split my current ISA and any new money for an ISA.

Barclays seem like the obvious favourite for new money.

Barclays' offering is my current favourite for new money too.
    Chillum wrote: »
    I probably wil go with Abbey but want to clear up one thing, for balances £9k and above, does the 5.75% apply tot he whole balance or just to that £9k+?

The 5.75% rate applies to the whole balance, but you must have at least £9,000 in the ISA to qualify for this rate.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Kazza242
    Macce wrote: »
    Are you sure Britannia dont accept transfers as on thier site for this ISA it says...

You can transfer in previous years' ISA balances from other Britannia ISAs or ISAs held with other providers.

It seems they may have changed the info on their website since I made my original post. Moneyfacts also reported that transfers weren't allowed also, but they have since changed this info. Thanks, I'll change it.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • fablad75
    fablad75 Posts: 326 Forumite
    As I'm opening a current account with Nationwide (to get the £100 switching bonus, tee hee) I'm just going to transfer my existing ISA to their 5.85% Fixed Rate ISA for one year. Is this a good account?

I've never done a fixed rate ISA before, so can anyone tell me what the potential problems are? I don't anticipate needing the money during this period.
  • Dear Friends...Hopefully a simple q for you experts - my head is still spinning!
    I used up my 2005-2006 allowance of £3000 in the A&L 5.2% ISA but it was reduced by April tax deadline, so I transferred my previous ISA into the Halifax fixed 5.0% (I waited until after deadline so that my PREVIOUS year's investment with the Abbey was completed, otherwise I'd have incurred penalties). I also put my 2006-2007 £3000 into the HFX 5.0%.
    Am I allowed to transfer BOTH my A&L and HFX ISAs to a new provider who allows transfers? Must it be on the same date? Appreciated!!
  • Kazza242
    Am I allowed to transfer BOTH my A&L and HFX ISAs to a new provider who allows transfers? Must it be on the same date? Appreciated!!

Yes, you are allowed to do this. The transfers in do not have to occur on the same date, provided you are transferring into a non-fixed term ISA.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Many thx Kazza, my ISA Guru :T
  • Kazza242
    fablad75 wrote: »
    As I'm opening a current account with Nationwide (to get the £100 switching bonus, tee hee) I'm just going to transfer my existing ISA to their 5.85% Fixed Rate ISA for one year. Is this a good account?

I've never done a fixed rate ISA before, so can anyone tell me what the potential problems are? I don't anticipate needing the money during this period.

I think it is a good account and a good interest rate. What you need to think about is whether or not BOE interest rates are likely to increase further than the current 5.25% rate. If it does your fixed rate isa will not benefit from the rise at all. However, if the BOE rate falls you will not lose any interest.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure