UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Options

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    U will need to flush through the coil once a year with water, despite it not being in a very dirty environment the dust and fibres in the loft will clog up the coil, the only way to get rid of these is flowing water.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    THats what I have done with mine. Cable tied it to the grille at the back of the unit where the coil is. I notice that when the unit comes on the air temp drops as its pulling air in from across the garden ,closer to the house is always warmer.

However, the air flow itself will cool down the thermometer, it's just like a wind and water in the atmosphere will hit the thermometer, evaporate and cool it down to below the ambient.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    not a sealed thermometer measuring only air temp.
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't find who or what thread it was, but whoever was claiming that heat pumps needed a qualified engineer to maintain them at least once a year, here is the official information from Mitsubishi on maintenance:
    Ecodan does not need an annual service by a refrigeration engineer. However an annual service by an Approved Ecodan Installer to carry out a visual inspection, ensure that the heat exchanger is clean and the power terminal blocks are tight every 12 months is required.

So I guess it depends if you think you're able to do the above...
  • richardc1983
    Options
    My engineer comes to service the unit, a service in my eyes is a clean of the heat exchangers, check the electrics are not corroded in the outdoor unit. Check the refrigerant pressures. The last two items require a qualified engineer. Of course you could clean it yourself if you get the correct coil cleaner chemicals, I prefer to just give someone who I know £20 to check all of the above once a year.
  • airconwarehouse
    Options
    Loft mounted Outdoor Units.......

Watch for dust build up on the unit's coil - when ths unit is outside, Rain action helps keep it clean. When the units are mounted inside, dust will quickly reduce the efficiency of heat transfer......................
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I can't find who or what thread it was, but whoever was claiming that heat pumps needed a qualified engineer to maintain them at least once a year, here is the official information from Mitsubishi on maintenance:
    Ecodan does not need an annual service by a refrigeration engineer. However an annual service by an Approved Ecodan Installer to carry out a visual inspection, ensure that the heat exchanger is clean and the power terminal blocks are tight every 12 months is required.

So I guess it depends if you think you're able to do the above...

It was stated in post121# in this thread, by The Chippy who installs ASHPs

He stated 6 monthly at a very low £40 per visit.

A most important point regarding costs.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=702257&page=7
  • samtheman1k
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    It was stated in post121# in this thread, by The Chippy who installs ASHPs

He stated 6 monthly at a very low £40 per visit.

A most important point regarding costs.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=702257&page=7

Yes, of course, but I wouldn't be suprised if even storage heaters, and immersion heaters also 'recommend and an annual service to check the connections, clean the bricks etc., by a suitably qualified person'....
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Thought I'd pop in a month on and update on how my ASHP is going.

It's great!

The running costs are getting cheaper and cheaper as the outdoor temps are getting warmer. I still leave the unit active 24/7, although obviously it is running less and less as we head towards warmer weather.

I had a letter yesterday to say my Electricity costs are going down by 10%, but not the gas, so another win!

Average daily running costs (before price drop) = £1.50 (per 24 hours)

I popped into the loft yesterday to check the energy monitor readings and to check for leaks etc. No problems found and no apparent build up of dust.

If I have one negative observation, and there had to be one, it's the recovery times on the hot water. Last weekend I had a friend staying. I had a shower and washed up some dishes, half hour later my friend got up wanting a shower and I'd used all the hot water. It took an hour for the tank to recover enough for the shower to be used again. The tank has an immersion, but you have to go into the loft to turn it on, so in the future I might have a switch put in the hallway so I can boost the hot water if I need to.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm considering an ASHP to replace an old broken GEC Nightstore wet electric boiler system. I have all my existing radiators in place ready for reuse but I'm wondering if I should just go for the wall mounted air units in the hallway and one or two rooms instead, or does it make sense to go with the water system? I'm happy to stay with my economy 7 immersion heater for my DHW as I am an early riser and just switch it on for the last hour or so of the E7 cycle on the days I require hot water (I live alone). It is an insulated 3 bed bungalow so I'm wondering if I could manage with a 5kw unit or if I'd need to 8kw or the 11kw? Are there any grants available to help with installation costs for ASHPs yet?

Edited to add: I will be using my multifuel stove for the heating in my main room so the ASHP is only needed to maintain a temp of 15C - 17C in all other rooms, rather than primary heating source.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback